Auxillary Render Normal - for what use, please

• I accidentally selected the option to render auxillary Normal and Poser produced a second weirdly coloured ghostly image with the typical render output. What do I use this second image for, I am curious to know.

• @ibr_remote OMG, I had the same experience last night, and it took me a while to figure out what exactly had happened, as I've never seen anything like that before.

In my case, I was using D3D's Render Firefly, as I was reading through a tutorial by Vince Bagna, who evidently used it back when he wrote it for P8. I don't usually use that, so happened to check the Normal option at the bottom left of the Render Firefly dialog box, though at the time I didn't know what it was for. Now I think, though I could be wrong, that's for making a "normal" map of what you're trying to render.

Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable will respond as to whether I'm on the right track.

• Poser Ambassadors

Yes it makes a normal map of your finished scene. This and other aux render images are used in smart post work. For example, you can use the normals to figure out which surfaces in the render point "up" and make them white with snow in postwork. Or - it can be used in a Poser workflow to "bake" a procedural texture into images (diffuse, normal, specular, etc.) which can then be used WITHOUT the procedural shader nodes, especially in other renderers.

I made demos using all of the options when these first came out but I can't find them. Perhaps they were posted at RuntimeDNA which is gone.

• @bagginsbill Ah, so I was on the right track. Now I'll have to check out the other options along the bottom of D3D's Render Firefly panel and see what I come up with.

• Ah, I see. I don't think I need to use the Normal for this particular type of scene. I've just removed those ones.

• @ibr_remote I wouldn't necessarily use them either, but now that I know they're there, I might just experiment to see what I come up with.