Metal and transparency. How do I avoid shinyness in the transparent parts?

• alt text

My brain just stands still. I made an armband, which relies on transparency (it's an idea I have, for something more elaborate)

But the transparent bits are still shining. And I feel like I've tried all sorts of combinations with the nodes ... to no avail.

Obviously, I haven't yet tried the CORRECT one though.

So .. how do i hook up a gold shader with bump- and transparency maps attached? :)

T.I.A.

• @trekkiegrrrl Hi, is this SF using the cycles root node? A quick screen grab of your node setup would help

• @trekkiegrrrl If this is for Superfly you could try my free shader. Yes, the transparent parts will be invisible with my shader.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/86231/browse/7/Material-and-Shader/Poser-11-Superfly-Uber-Shader-1

• @ghostship I tried the UberShader first, but I wasn't sure where to hook up the transmap. And when I tried, I couldn't see that. Hm. I'll try again, the texture map was wrong the first time (VU instead of UV -_- ) so it may have been at that point I tried the Ubershader. Will give it another spin :)

Amethystpendant ... I have yet to figure out what the things in the cycles node does :3 - I don't even know how to attach a transmap in it.

• alt text
    AHA! Heureka! I figured out how to use the Uber shader :D Yay me! ;)

Am I missing something vital or can't you use displacement with the Uber shader? At first I thought I'd read that displacement didn't work in Superfly, but that turned out to be wrong. (at least I see displacement when I render ...)

So how do I get it a little ... thicker? A Normal Map is also "cheating", right? Like a bump map?

(I stopped the render at an early stage, that's why it's so grainy)

• @trekkiegrrrl No there is no place to input displacement. Displacement does not work very well in Superfly. Firefly displacement was dependent on the resolution of the texture map you use. Superfly is dependent on the resolution of the mesh. For detail that small you might need 100k's of polys.

• @trekkiegrrrl good work on figuring the Uber shader out. Had this been a Firefly render using the Poser root node, the obvious answer would have been to plug the transparency (opacity) map into the Specular Value, since Firefly doesn't prevent specular output on completely transparent objects.

@ghostship displacement does work as documented in SuperFly, but it only affects existing mesh vertices, so if you have a low density mesh and haven't used any subdivision, you won't get what you might be used to in FireFly renders. What is missing from current implementations of SuperFly is micropolygon displacement. (Still waiting for this @Poser-Team )