Furred Cat With Poser Hair

• This is the Millenium Cat with Tiny's Furred Cat upgrade, circa 2005.
    The first one is Poser 7, the second is Poser Pro 11.1. Both rendered at "Final" settings and both have the same light set. The fur was made in the hair room. Why does P7 render correctly and PP11 not???

0_1520993904478_47ac64e0-158f-47bf-86b9-1013ac01a6e3-image.png
    0_1520993936632_70a1bccb-87f0-4590-a915-64260954c8f9-image.png
    I'm still on the 2.5 hour time out before posting again. When does that stop??

• A wild guess - a change in python script compatibility?

• You just need to resim the hair and it will render fine.

First set your frame count to 1
    Then, from the main menu Animate>Recalculate Dynamics>All Hair

Tiny's Fluffy Cat in Superfly
    0_1521001118182_FluffyP11Superfly.jpg

• @shadow_fyre my guess would be that the two versions of Poser have or had different units settings which affect the onset of the bend as P7 appears to be styling the hairs correctly.

However, that doesn't make complete sense as Poser is always supposed to have saved measurements in Poser Native Units, unless the externally sourced/licenced/bolted-on hair room code does something different internally with its simulations and Poser 11 is misinterpreting the simulation settings (was this re-simulated in P11?)

Oh, wait, that reminds me, the P11 render looks just like styled, but unsimulated dynamic hair models I have in my library. I.e. that's the way they load, before you actually run the simulation. Try simulating the hair in P11 and see what it does.

[Edit: ha ha, gazumped by @Glitterati3D ! Glad to see I came up with the same reason. Whew!]

• @matb said in Furred Cat With Poser Hair:

A wild guess - a change in python script compatibility?

I'm pretty sure this doesn't use python, that I know of? It didn't install anything for python. Everything works when loaded, they even look the same before rendering, but it's the rendering that's messed up.

@Glitterati3D said in Furred Cat With Poser Hair:

You just need to resim the hair and it will render fine.

First set your frame count to 1
    Then, from the main menu Animate>Recalculate Dynamics>All Hair

I did recalculate the dynamics first, exactly as you wrote it. It took 20 minutes. I had to take the instructions out since it had been years since I played with it. Yours came out fine, huh. I see mine is not laying down like it should, but what's up with the render too? I'm going to shut down Poser, delete all the dyn files and try it again.

Well, I tried it again and it still renders the same. I tried Firefly and Superfly. As far as recalculating the hair, I watched it lay down group by group so that part seems to work.

• @shadow_fyre I'm sure this isn't your problem, but you are rendering the last frame of the simulation, not the first, aren't you (in case it's not fully draped by the first frame [I have more experience with cloth than hair simulations, sorry])?

• Dynamic hair strands render thinner in Superfly. You either need to increase the thickness of the strands or the number of strands. IMHO increasing the strands looks better, but it depends on what your computer can handle. A combination might be best.

• @shadow_fyre That render is just the default Superfly lights in the Construct.

I was just testing to make sure it would work and didn't bother with a "fancy" render in an effort to let you know if it was Poser or something on your end.

• This morning I rendered some Poser room hair and got this result so the rendering worked with this. I am pretty clueless in the hair room, I wouldn't know how to change anything.
    0_1521037278651_226a4517-e299-4000-98bc-5f67ac72d593-image.png
    @redphantom said in Furred Cat With Poser Hair:

Dynamic hair strands render thinner in Superfly. You either need to increase the thickness of the strands or the number of strands. IMHO increasing the strands looks better, but it depends on what your computer can handle. A combination might be best.

I just realized this is your hair I tried. Thank you for that.

@anomalaus said in Furred Cat With Poser Hair:

@shadow_fyre I'm sure this isn't your problem, but you are rendering the last frame of the simulation, not the first, aren't you (in case it's not fully draped by the first frame [I have more experience with cloth than hair simulations, sorry])?

I did try rendering in frames 1 and frame 30 but there is no difference.

Also, so you can see the difference, this is the pre-rendered fur after recalculating is done. You can see it draping. The first 2 photos at the top of the page are after it's rendered. Since the hair I tried this morning seems to render correctly, I am clueless as to why the cat hair does not. Even if I knew how to add more hair, I don't think it needs it.
    0_1521037893762_cb19a00b-938d-40be-953d-62de246b6c92-image.png

• @shadow_fyre said in Furred Cat With Poser Hair:

This morning I rendered some Poser room hair and got this result so the rendering worked with this. I am pretty clueless in the hair room, I wouldn't know how to change anything.
    0_1521037278651_226a4517-e299-4000-98bc-5f67ac72d593-image.png
    @redphantom said in Furred Cat With Poser Hair:

Dynamic hair strands render thinner in Superfly. You either need to increase the thickness of the strands or the number of strands. IMHO increasing the strands looks better, but it depends on what your computer can handle. A combination might be best.

I just realized this is your hair I tried. Thank you for that.

@anomalaus said in Furred Cat With Poser Hair:

@shadow_fyre I'm sure this isn't your problem, but you are rendering the last frame of the simulation, not the first, aren't you (in case it's not fully draped by the first frame [I have more experience with cloth than hair simulations, sorry])?

I did try rendering in frames 1 and frame 30 but there is no difference.

Also, so you can see the difference, this is the pre-rendered fur after recalculating is done. You can see it draping. The first 2 photos at the top of the page are after it's rendered. Since the hair I tried this morning seems to render correctly, I am clueless as to why the cat hair does not. Even if I knew how to add more hair, I don't think it needs it.
    0_1521037893762_cb19a00b-938d-40be-953d-62de246b6c92-image.png

Without seeing your settings, my initial guess is that these are just the guide hairs. Can you show us your hair room settings?

• @eclark1849 said in Furred Cat With Poser Hair:

Without seeing your settings, my initial guess is that these are just the guide hairs. Can you show us your hair room settings?

I clicked on one of the hair groups, there are 38 BTW, and these are the settings. And yes, these are the guide hairs since it's not rendered in that last picture. I wanted to show the difference between before and after rendering.
    0_1521039364121_3b6e0226-11f1-4640-913a-bde6018a50cc-image.png

@Glitterati3D Was your render in PP11.1?

• Increase your tip width to .2 or .4. I don't know how big of an area that growth group is or what your poser units is set to. The hair density seems off too. I have mine set to inches and usually set the density to 600 to 800. That's the number you type in not the strand number. The strand number is based on the size of the area so it can vary quite a bit.

@eclark1849 said in Furred Cat With Poser Hair:

I clicked on one of the hair groups, there are 38 BTW, and these are the settings. And yes, these are the guide hairs since it's not rendered in that last picture. I wanted to show the difference between before and after rendering.
    0_1521039364121_3b6e0226-11f1-4640-913a-bde6018a50cc-image.png

Also check show Populated check box. I would probably also increase clumpiness. :)

No, I have not upgraded since SR6.

It's PP11 SR6.

• Just a quick note on hair in PPro: IIRC when you sub-devide your mesh that the hair is growing from you will get lots more hair.

• @ghostship said in Furred Cat With Poser Hair:

Just a quick note on hair in PPro: IIRC when you sub-devide your mesh that the hair is growing from you will get lots more hair.

Sorry, that doesn't work. Poser ignores the extra vertices.

• @redphantom said in Furred Cat With Poser Hair:

Increase your tip width to .2 or .4. I don't know how big of an area that growth group is or what your poser units is set to. The hair density seems off too. I have mine set to inches and usually set the density to 600 to 800. That's the number you type in not the strand number. The strand number is based on the size of the area so it can vary quite a bit.

I changed the setting as suggested. Made sure I was using inches, changed each hair group Density to 200 as well as Tip Width to .4 and I also tried Root Width at 1.
    This greatly increased the Hair Density in the parenthesis. Most of the groups I changed were set anywhere from 2.xx-6.xx before I changed to 200. I left some groups unchanged as you can see, so the difference can be seen. So is this normal then? I will always have to change these settings with the product to make it look like this? At this point I am going to assume it's the product as I found an old P5 Hair Room hair and tried that and rendered without changing anything and it worked fine. Oh and yes, this greatly increased my render time!
    0_1521082352318_1a77f747-23bc-4127-8046-1a394af84480-image.png
    0_1521082378208_419522a8-60b1-4f9f-826e-ed6fdacac7a1-image.png

@Glitterati3D said in Furred Cat With Poser Hair:

@shadow_fyre said in Furred Cat With Poser Hair:

No, I have not upgraded since SR6.

It's PP11 SR6.

Ok, but it was PP11 none-the-less, just wanted to make sure. Can you tell me what Poser units you are using? I wish I could get the cats to render like you did. I even tried the medium and short hair cats and still got that same result.

Also, can someone please help me out so I can respond in less than 9500 seconds???? This time-out is terrible when I'm ready to post right away.

• @anomalaus Thank you so much!!! I'm free! :) :)

• @shadow_fyre I just noticed this in your original post:

This is the Millenium Cat with Tiny's Furred Cat upgrade, circa 2005.

And, I thought I should mention that all my files are dated 2015 and I purchased Fluffy cat at Hivewire in December 2015.

You may want to contact Tiny and see if there is an updated version which is why you are seeing such a difference from mine.

• @Glitterati3D said in Furred Cat With Poser Hair:

@shadow_fyre I just noticed this in your original post:

This is the Millenium Cat with Tiny's Furred Cat upgrade, circa 2005.

And, I thought I should mention that all my files are dated 2015 and I purchased Fluffy cat at Hivewire in December 2015.

You may want to contact Tiny and see if there is an updated version which is why you are seeing such a difference from mine.

Oh, that's very interesting! Thank you, I had no idea.