Me again ... Gemstones and superfly? How?

• I've tried all sorts of settings, but I can't make a gemstone look ... really sparkly. Yes, I am aware that it also depends on the model. I have a cut stone, split vertices and all to avoid any smoothing. But it just looks like cheap coloured glass. I thought I had some old Poser materials (Mec4d or someone?) with all sorts of nice Firefly glass shaders I might have used as a starting point (IOR and all that ...) - but they have sunk to the bottom of my Runtime, and no search will bring them forth.

Soooo has anyone made a good glass-and-gems shader for Firefly yet? I tried using the glass from the Uber shader pack, and it works to a degree ... but just not QUITE.

For the record: Yes, I am rendering it in an Environment sphere so there's something to reflect :)

• Does it have to be FireFly? @bagginsbill did a brilliant SF shader. If you are using P11 it might work in FF as well, it's on here somewhere (though searching here is worse than looking through a huge runtime!

• Poser Ambassadors

Try this thread - https://forum.smithmicro.com/topic/255/light-splitting

(First time I can remember using Advanced Search; it seems to works well)

• @amethystpendant said in Me again ... Gemstones and superfly? How?:

Does it have to be FireFly? @bagginsbill did a brilliant SF shader. If you are using P11 it might work in FF as well, it's on here somewhere (though searching here is worse than looking through a huge runtime!

I'd prefer it to be Superfly, since (as I understand it) it's the better option. Firefly will do if all else fails :)

• @caisson Awesome! That was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you! <3

• @trekkiegrrrl said in Me again ... Gemstones and superfly? How?:

@amethystpendant said in Me again ... Gemstones and superfly? How?:

Does it have to be FireFly? @bagginsbill did a brilliant SF shader. If you are using P11 it might work in FF as well, it's on here somewhere (though searching here is worse than looking through a huge runtime!

I'd prefer it to be Superfly, since (as I understand it) it's the better option. Firefly will do if all else fails :)

My equivalent of RTFM should have been read the actual post title that actually says superfly! I think what threw me was "Soooo has anyone made a good glass-and-gems shader for Firefly yet?"

Glad you found @bagginsbill post it really is an excellent shader!

• @trekkiegrrrl the SuperFly shaders from @bagginsbill certainly are the benchmark to follow for shader construction. When it comes to actual gemstone models, it's also worth while looking at some of the lapidary web resources. A lot of them have 3D models in OBJ format which are readily available. The other important issue, is matching the model to the material, with respect of total internal reflection geometries.

Given that those involved in actual lapidary and gem stone manufacture take great care to match the angles of their cuts to the refractive properties of the stones they're cutting, to maximise their brilliance, varying your IOR settings too far from the actual mineral which a model is designed for, you may not get as good a result, reflection and dispersion-wise, as the original, physical gem stone, as some of the internal reflections may leak. Just changing the colour of a stone, however, is not a problem, as we don't have renderers where you can specify an actual gem stone's chemical composition.

• I came across this today, it may help you with IOR Settings: https://pixelandpoly.com/ior.html

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.