What do you do post render to your images?

• Hello all,

Recent problems with some of my images and more specifically my clients complaining of blue-ish skin tone have prompted me to ad in some saturation to my renders.

What are you guys doing to your images after they are done rendering?

• Poser Ambassadors

I try to get the appearance I want in the render itself and thus avoid postwork. For one thing, drawing is not a skill of mine, and then there's animation; trying to get postwork done consistently on animation frames is a real challenge.

• @seachnasaigh I can see that being a problem with animation. Would you not fix those problems in your video editor rather than Photoshop?

• Poser Ambassadors

I had in mind issues such as flowing water, flashing navigation beacons (casting light onto their immediate environs), computer monitors, holographs, cooling lava, etc.

Active stargate:
    0_1521527854156_puddle test 5 - compressed 600p GIF.gif

• It depends on the image, and if I am doing something that requires an effect I can't emulate in Poser. I prefer the look of some post work you can do it Photoshop to that of Poser's render engines, but mostly I will color correct or gamma correct if something looks off. If you are getting a bluish tint, are you using V4/M4 and their texture maps? Blue was added to the diffuse on purpose for the older versions of Poser to overcome issues. EZSkin will fix that for you. And it's free.

• @rokketman Oh, yeah. I fix all that "blue color chip" stuff in the shaders long before I render.

• @ghostship I started out with Poser 8, and it took me about 5 years to even start using V4/M4. I wasn't sold on either of them. And by the time I did start using them, EZSkin had come out and I pretty much use it on any character I add to the scene even before I pose them. I hadn't noticed the blue chip thing until someone complained about it on another forum...

• @ghostship

1. Simple case: expo correction and tonemapping in Picturenaut
    2. Want more or cant get right colors in Picturenaut (white point correction needed):
      2.1. Picturenaut to convert from 32 to 16 bit
      2.2. Color correction in Photoshop in LAB space

Skins get bluish, or greenish, or yellowish all the time with HDRI. Just like IRL. If you use greyscale HDRI skin will be lifeless, morgue-type. By the way: do not forget set the correct color to Inf light (via color temperature) if you use it as Sun in a render.

• Usually I use Photoshop or GIMP for post works and export rendered image as OpenEXR, previously I used TIFF(which I think is only 8bit) which hasn't been bad but OpenEXR works better for me when I do post works in PS or GIMP

I use few effects but mostly tone mapping and at the end I add bit of vignette effect

But agree, using only HDR image for lighting is not the best idea, I still use area lights or infinite light which adds bit more life to renders, wish SuperFly have ISO tone mapping feature

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

• If it is necessary, I add effects using Clip Studio Paint EX.

• I try to do most everything in the render, but I will do some postwork. I'll fix minor errors, like small poke-throughs I missed before rendering. I'll composite images, either larger corrections. If I see I have a major problem with one of the figures, I'll rerender that area and combine them. Or in some of my more populated scenes, I'll make 2 scenes each with half the population and render the 2 halves separatly. And I'll all special effects in postwork if I can't do the effect in poser. Most of the time, I like to add what I can in poser because so much affects the lighting/shadows and reflections.

• Poser Ambassadors

For me the bare minimum is Curves adjustment (with reference to the histogram) & small amount of sharpening - no Poser render is complete without those IMHO. Basically though I treat a render the same as a RAW format digital photo - it needs to be processed, but exactly how & what depends on the image & what I want from it.

• Gimp for me, usually just for cropping the odd layering if I've had to do an area render and sometimes the heal brush

• I usually do color correction and maybe some sharpening but not always. I also like to play around with various other filters from the nik collection which I got when it was free.
    From what I see, it still is available although you have to give your email to get a link for the download. https://nikcollection.dxo.com/