Rigging, objs and FBMs

• I've recently made a couple of conforming figures for PE and want to add an FBM to one of them (they are boots that span foot and shin) So, following Tony's advice rather than exporting from poser I used the obj file that was created by Poser as I saved out my cr2 file. This however was still split into seperate objs one per body part with the resultant poly groups. However in Tony's vid the Poser Male appeared to be one joined object, ie no seams. Is it possible to do this as it is difficult to ensure the seams don't part when creating the FBM (if say moving polys by their normals)

I tried deleting dupes in Blender but of course that went really weird :) Redeucing vert count and all

So can I, starting from a solid obj, create a figure, save it and then easily create an FBM by having a "welded" obj in Blender?

• When importing into blender for morphs try these settings.

0_1522007928538_blender import.JPG

You end up with one object rather than several.

to export, I use these

0_1522008131254_blender export.JPG

Both can be saved in blender so you have them handy anytime.

• @redphantom Exactly what I do when importing and exporting with Blender. I nearly fell over the first time I imported Vicky 4 and counted 68 separate pieces to her geometry. Then I checked out the import options, and have never done that again, unless there was a reason to keep them separate to make UV mapping the object easier.

• Poser Ambassadors

AFAIK Poser will split obj's based on the groups as this is how it does skinning i.e. binding the mesh to the bones. That is why it is best to work on the original obj rather than exporting from Poser or using the obj Poser creates.

• Thanks all,

Looks like I need a multi-step process.

1 Create my model in Blender and Export
    2 Import into poser
    3 Use fitting room to create a figure with auto group
    4 save cr2 to Library
    5 Import Poser created obj into blender
    6 Select seams and remove verts.
    7 Export grouped / welded obj
    8 Edit cr2 to pint to the new obj file.

I'm guessing I could shorten that by pre-grouping the original model

• @amethystpendant Actually, there's another way......2 more, in fact.

First is colorcurvature's PoseMorphLoader (PML) which will export a fully welded model for you to morph as you please. Not free, but only $20.00 last time I looked. This is my preferred method of creating morphs.

Second is 3DCoat which will also allow you to morph welded objects. While I have 3DCoat, I have not found the time to dedicate to learning it well enough to discuss how well it preforms this function, but know several folks who use it very effectively.

• @Glitterati3D Thanks I'll have a look at PML as it has your recommendation

Just checked and it is currently unavailable :( I'll keep checking as it looks very useful

• @Glitterati3D Hmmmm, the only Morph Loader I know of is the one I used with DS 3A years ago. I didn't realize they had one for Poser.

• Poser Ambassadors

@amethystpendant - if you group your mesh in Blender & use that export as your final obj then that would be the quickest route. You can then use that for creating morphs.

I'll second the recommendation for colourcurvature's PML, it is excellent (though I haven't used it in some time).

Alternatively if you have Zbrush you can use GoZ to create morphs, including reverse deformations, & at multiple subdivision levels too.

• @Miss-B Yeah, PML has been around for a long time. It's a very nice, effective tool for morph making, but very different from the DS Morph Loader.

• @Glitterati3D said in Rigging, objs and FBMs:

@Miss-B Yeah, PML has been around for a long time. It's a very nice, effective tool for morph making, but very different from the DS Morph Loader.

What store is/was it sold in?

• @Miss-B It was offered at Renderosity, and for a while in private sales on CC's website.

• @Glitterati3D Ahhhh, OK. For some reason I never spotted it when it was on Renderosity.

• @Miss-B

Unfortunately it seems it's no longer available.

• @Deecey Yes, so I read in another, earlier post. Unfortunate, but you make do with what you have at hand.

• Poser Ambassadors

@amethystpendant said in Rigging, objs and FBMs:

I've recently made a couple of conforming figures for PE and want to add an FBM to one of them (they are boots that span foot and shin) So, following Tony's advice rather than exporting from poser I used the obj file that was created by Poser as I saved out my cr2 file.

Hello amethystpendant,
    The second part of your statement above is the reason why you have a "split obj file".

=> I used the obj file that was created by Poser.

Poser splits the obj at export. => I clearly say this in Video 1 and Video 4 on my YouTube channel.

The solution :
    Always DELETE an obj saved out by Poser, and replace it by your own properly vertex grouped and welded obj file that you created in Blender.
    => Video 4 shows this in more detail.

Have a nice day all.

• @vilters Yep, I got that one down pat now @vilters thank you!

• @vilters the only (temporary) use for a Poser-saved obj is any groups you may have added (within Poser) to assist in isolating vertices during morph creation. Once you've finished with that step, then roll back to the original obj file. (Or manually incorporate the additional group, but not facet information from Poser's version into a copy of the original obj)

Your original advice is certainly valid. I only add that there are caveats.