Number of spotlights on at once, only a few turn on

• Hi All,

First post here. I'm finding that in a situation where I have 9 spot lights to cast shadows I can't seem to have more than two or three work at the same time. Imagine three poles with three lights each all facing figures. I click on a light and see the shadows however when I click on another light the previous will turn off. The effect is the same if I use 4 or 5 lights too. Ideas?

Computers are Mac Book Pro with NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2 GB
    and Mac Pro with the 700's.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

• Hi, and welcome. Poser's preview window can only handle so many lights at once. I believe it's an OpenGL limitation. All of them should render without trouble, at least with firefly or superfly. I don't know about preview renders. You didn't mention which version of poser you have. Poser 11 has an option on the properties tab to set if you want a specific light to be considered in your preview, so you don't have lights turning on and off all the time as you click on them. This doesn't effect ff or sf renders. I don't know which version started that.

• @redphantom

Yes, the OpenGL preview is limited to the 8 brightest lights. You can enable or disable a selected light with the "Include in OpenGL Preview" setting in the Properties palette.

• Poser Team

The max supported is 8, but depending on the video in your system it may actually be less.

• Thanks redphantom & Deecey. I have Poser 11.1 Pro. The additional lights do indeed render in FF or SF. My video card is decent but not enough to do more than 4 to 6 at once, especially spot lights. I'll make it work with the renders. Thanks again.

• @wsrock Don't forget the ray trace preview if you want a quick look at how your lights are performing

• @wsrock said in Number of spotlights on at once, only a few turn on:

Hi All,

First post here. I'm finding that in a situation where I have 9 spot lights to cast shadows I can't seem to have more than two or three work at the same time. Imagine three poles with three lights each all facing figures. I click on a light and see the shadows however when I click on another light the previous will turn off. The effect is the same if I use 4 or 5 lights too. Ideas?

Computers are Mac Book Pro with NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2 GB
    and Mac Pro with the 700's.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

I'm not seeing that problem. I've currently got PP2014 open and I created 10 lights. All of them appear to be on and working with no issues. Is it possible that the disappearing shadows are simply being washed out by other lights?

• Poser Ambassadors

Earl did you verify your system has OpenGL preview enabled? It's specific to OpenGL.

• @bagginsbill said in Number of spotlights on at once, only a few turn on:

Earl did you verify your system has OpenGL preview enabled? It's specific to OpenGL.

OpenGL is checked on my display.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.