Animate growing strand hair

• This seems like it should be simple, but is it possible to animate strand hair length across time? Like .025 meters at frame 1 and 1 meter at frame 200?

• none of the hair controls seem to be able to be animated. Magnets might work, but I'm not that good with magnets and it seems as if it might be cumbersome, especially if you have several hair groups to work with.

• @bryan_valencia If all you wish to do is having it grow, then yes, you should be able to do that, although you will still need to be in the hair room to have access to the hair controls.

• Poser Ambassadors

Earl, when you use the word "should" are you saying you know how to do it?

This is confusing. I sure don't know how to do it.

• @bagginsbill said in Animate growing strand hair:

Earl, when you use the word "should" are you saying you know how to do it?

This is confusing. I sure don't know how to do it.

When I say "should" I mean that if you advance to the next frame and advance the hair length controls in the hair room , this should animate the hair growing." Doesn't mean it will as things in Poser don't always work the way they're supposed to..

• This is one of those cases where should and will are 2 different animals. If you set the length at frame 1 and then advance to another frame and change it, you will see the new length at frame 1. It's the same if you use the styling tools to change the length. None of the hair room controls animate.

• @redphantom said in Animate growing strand hair:

This is one of those cases where should and will are 2 different animals. If you set the length at frame 1 and then advance to another frame and change it, you will see the new length at frame 1. It's the same if you use the styling tools to change the length. None of the hair room controls animate.

Not at home right now, but I will check this when I get there. Just to be sure though, when you advance the hair length controls, you then add a keyframe, right?

• @eclark1849 as you know, poser actors have two types of channels, animating and non-animating, as evidenced by the

static 0
    static 1

lines found before keyframe values, and the

staticValue 50.8

line found after on currently static parameters. Any channel which uses this form can, theoretically, be switched between the two, evidenced by cameras which do or don't animate (most of their channels get the static flag changed). Relatively recent Poser upgrades have added joint centres and orientations to the switchable channels, since they had additional definitions outside the channel {} block in each actor, which required a flag to update.

Generally speaking, nothing outside of actor channels (and dynamics and hair simulations are in that category) supports animatable, as in keyframable, parameters, because the file formats don't define the abililty to record keyframe values for them, hence they are static. Changeable, but static. Set the value at any frame, and that will be the new value for all frames. Static.

• Well hair-balls!

I know I have seen animated growing hair before, I guess it's just not Poser doing it. I wonder if Blender can.

• Okay, I stand corrected. However, you can fake hair growing if you use the scale parameters, which is animatable.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.