Firefly vs Superfly problem. I get grey skin in Superfly?

• First: Not all skin. But I was tinkering with anold shader BB once made that was great for old skin. Liverspots ect.

I'd previously combined it with Simon's skin (or BB did ... can't remember) and thought I could just do the same with ProjectE.

Which I sorta can ... as long as I stick to Firefly. But I prefer Superfly, now that it's there, so .. gah!

I can see two connections being stippled, and I know it means that Superfly doesn't like them. The problem is, I have absolutely no idea of how to fix this. So, once again, I'm hoping someone with more knowledge of which node does what can help me. ("more knowledge" is pretty easy to have in this case ;) )

The results:
    0_1522456951852_92579c87-0c0e-4f1e-b605-cf671c39a286-image.png

And the spaghet... er ... material room:
    0_1522457004328_a6884535-2caa-495d-8fd7-bdcea6b108f7-image.png

• @trekkiegrrrl as I pointed out on a thread a couple of days ago. The FF shaders are set into the alt diffuse and standard diffuse is set to 0/black hole/no light will escape. The spec and bump is what you are seeing on the render on the right.

• @trekkiegrrrl all those dashed lines in the shader are things that are not hooked up in a way that make sense to SuperFly.

• @ghostship Aha! I wasn't aware of that. Must have skipped that part. OK. So it should go in the regular Diffuse to work in Superfly?

And yes I know the dashed lines are "Superfly no-nos" - I just don't know what to do with them other than unplug them ...

• @trekkiegrrrl EZSkin3 has a default SSS shader that works but blurs all the details. There is also the shader that @bopperthijs made that can be loaded into EZSkin3. He is also working on a new version.

• @trekkiegrrrl I also have a crap SSS shader that you can try. It's over at Share CG.

• Yes the SSS shader included in EZSkin makes it look waxy and odd. Will look for the new ones :D

• AAAH! Settng the diffuse to 1 made the textures show up. So simple. Doh. I feel stupid now. There are still those dashed lines, but at least I have colour.

EZ Skin is great, but can it do liver spots? (if so ... how?)

• Poser Ambassadors

@trekkiegrrrl said in Firefly vs Superfly problem. I get grey skin in Superfly?:

@ghostship Aha! I wasn't aware of that. Must have skipped that part. OK. So it should go in the regular Diffuse to work in Superfly?

No. Illegal assemblage won't work in ANY input and changing from Alternate_Diffuse to plain-old Diffuse will not produce correct output anyway. The problem is not where the shader is plugged, it's how it was designed. The rules are different and more restrictive in SF.

And yes I know the dashed lines are "Superfly no-nos" - I just don't know what to do with them other than unplug them ...

Nor does anybody else but me. Today is my wife's birthday and I can't look into this too much but I will see if I can find that shader and redesign it to stay within the rules for SF.

• Poser Ambassadors

@trekkiegrrrl said in Firefly vs Superfly problem. I get grey skin in Superfly?:

AAAH! Settng the diffuse to 1 made the textures show up. So simple. Doh. I feel stupid now. There are still those dashed lines, but at least I have colour.

EZ Skin is great, but can it do liver spots? (if so ... how?)

No it can't. With some work it could but at the moment it does not.

• Poser Ambassadors

@trekkiegrrrl
    Hello: => Strange that nobody mentioned the Message Logging yet.

It is the Icon here in your upper right hand corner next to the Library Icon. => Yellow arrow.
    0_1522508686224_Message log.png

The above screengrab is taken right after Poser start-up so it is still grey as there is nothing "important" to mention.

The ICON will turn ORANGE when a problem occurs. => Click on the ORANGE ICON to read what went wrong.

Poser has many render engines now, (excluding the toons in the list here below) and they all have their protocol.

• Preview is a render engine
    • FireFly is a render engine
    • Raytrace preview => Under => Window => Raytrace preview => opens a small Raytrace preview window
    • Raytrace => Checkbox button inside the FireFly render engine options to do "Raytrace only" renders.
    • SuperFly

Each reads, and understands, and renders, Material room inputs differently.

The Message Log Icon is new in Poser11 to start troubleshooting what went wrong if your render did not come out as expected.

• It stays grey if nothing special to report.
    • it turns ORANGE after a render if the render engine had an issue doing its calculations.

For Materials only;

• The dotted lines in the material room show an "invalid connection for the render engine selected.
    • The Message log will also highlight invalid connections. (But it gives more info then materials only).

Sometimes nice to check after a render anyway because it gives a LOT more information about what's been happening.

Best regards, Tony

• Poser Ambassadors

I have a rewrite for SF to the BB Elder Skin but can't upload it here. Also without the "illegal" trick it's not as convincing.

I'll be back after Easter.

• Wish your wife a Happy Birthday from me. I will wait somewhat patiently for the update :D

Thanks for all your fantastic shader work through the years <3

• @bagginsbill said in Firefly vs Superfly problem. I get grey skin in Superfly?:

I have a rewrite for SF to the BB Elder Skin but can't upload it here. Also without the "illegal" trick it's not as convincing.

I'll be back after Easter.

BTW if you want it hosted somewhere I'd be happy to do so. Just email it to me. Lhjakobsen @ gmail . com (obviously without the spaces)

• Sorry for pestering you, but ... any progress on the updated shader? :)

• Poser Ambassadors

Did some work on it today. None of the SF procedural patterns are exactly the same as in FF so I am making adjustments there.

The trick I was using to make the "papery" thin skin was illegal in SF, so I'm working out a different way.

I've turned up the bump extra high here as I'm trying to adjust this procedural pattern to match what I used to have and it's hard to see. I'll turn that back down before I'm done.

The eyelids are glowing and I haven't looked into why. I have to investigate that.

0_1522792375001_Simon1.png

• Oooh it looks good nd wrinkly .. and spotty. I like it so far. Will wait for it to be done :D My old Evo needs some wrinkles L

• @trekkiegrrrl said in Firefly vs Superfly problem. I get grey skin in Superfly?:

Oooh it looks good nd wrinkly .. and spotty. I like it so far. Will wait for it to be done :D My old Evo needs some wrinkles L

Better get the subd2 and blender out :)

• @amethystpendant said in Firefly vs Superfly problem. I get grey skin in Superfly?:

Oooh it looks good nd wrinkly .. and spotty. I like it so far. Will wait for it to be done :D My old Evo needs some wrinkles L

Better get the subd2 and blender out :)

She's got some good aging morphs already :) And with an older-looking skin I think it'll worl.

I might Blacksmith her at some point, but I'm SO rusty with that program I couldn't even remember how to properly export the morphs when I tried :P

• Poser Ambassadors

I'm still getting eyelid glow. There appears to be a malfunction with the legacy Scatter node. I don't remember it acting like this in SuperFly. I will try using the Cycles-specific one instead, but that will mean more experiments to get it right. Sigh.

0_1522841971288_PE1.jpg

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.