Dark Spots On Mirrored Surface

• Decided to dust off an old file and play around with a reflective surface I once started, but in this version of Poser, I get some really nasty dark spots all over it. I'm not sure what changed since my last version was Poser 6/7. I have the Poser dome with a simple texture and some basic IBL lighting. Also included the texture nodes in case someone sees something I don't. Any ideas?

0_1522818789950_Spots.png

0_1522818805376_nodes.jpg

Ignore the bump map file node, it was something I was experimenting with, but didn't work the way I wanted. I tried it without the bump map and I still get the same thing.

I also tried it on another prop that is hilly terrain and I get spots on it too.

• @cujoe_da_man yeah, I get black spots too when the reflective surface is curved and has a bump map on it. You can minimize problems by:

1: sub dividing the mesh
    2: don't use displacement in Superfly (it doesn't work well so use it at your own risk)

• Black splotches on poorly-lit curved surfaces are a known problem in Poser 11 Firefly IDL renders, if that's your setup:
    https://forum.smithmicro.com/topic/877/idl-in-poser-11-a-step-back-from-poser-10

As @ghostship suggests, subdivision is your best bet, but the fact remains that Poser 11 isn't as good at handling this situation as Poser 10 was. [Insert gloomy speculation about how likely it is that this will get fixed.]

• Poser Ambassadors

A concave reflective surface will require multiple bounces where the light ray has to hit the surface twice. It looks to me like you have max bounces at 1.

It does the same for me if raytrace bounces are limited to one bounce, but does NOT look like that with the correct default bounces of 4 to 6.

• Poser Ambassadors

One bounce
    0_1522835873017_one bounce.png

Two bounces
    0_1522835882749_two bounce.png

• @englishbob said in Dark Spots On Mirrored Surface:

Black splotches on poorly-lit curved surfaces are a known problem in Poser 11 Firefly IDL renders, if that's your setup:
    https://forum.smithmicro.com/topic/877/idl-in-poser-11-a-step-back-from-poser-10

As @ghostship suggests, subdivision is your best bet, but the fact remains that Poser 11 isn't as good at handling this situation as Poser 10 was. [Insert gloomy speculation about how likely it is that this will get fixed.]

You know, I noticed that on some clothing I do as well, I have found that in some cases I can use the smoothing brush and it will reduce them a bit, but I never realized it was strictly a P11 problem, I thought maybe it was just because I was using lighting I had never used before.

Where is the subdivision option? I know I've seen it before, but it's not something I've had to use before, so never had to commit to memory :P

And I will have to render with higher bounces, but I know I did one test with me "full render" setting and I have that set with 6 bounces minimum, will try it again.

• @cujoe_da_man said in Dark Spots On Mirrored Surface:

I never realized it was strictly a P11 problem [...]

To be fair, Poser 10 does blotch a little, but the effect is much reduced in my experience. In fact I bought a copy of P10 purely to render scenes that are too horrible in P11.

Where is the subdivision option? I know I've seen it before, but it's not something I've had to use before, so never had to commit to memory :P

It's in the properties tab for the actor. If you need to subdivide a figure, you'll need to convert it to Poser Unimesh first (Figure menu > Skinning method). Some props don't take to subdivision very well, in which case you're doomed. :(

• Just to add, now I've re-read that thread I linked to: make sure that 'smooth polygons' is disabled in the render settings. It makes the blotching worse in both renderers.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.