How do I "mask" a layer

• Hi,

I want to use layers (I know I can use a blender but I want to try layers) there is literally half a page in the manual that basically says, click the add button. Great, how do I mask the output from the new layer?

• Poser Ambassadors

AFAIK just use a mask the same way as using the blend node on a single layer ...

• I think I've worked it out, I need to apply the mask to the transparency of the root node. I'm actually using a Physical Surface node on layer1 and Poser Root on the base and it seems to work!

• @amethystpendant I'm going to have to try that out, as it sounds easy enough.

• Since you have it figured out..........and we're on the topic of masks, perhaps someone can help me with Evolution's lip mask. The specular settings do not honor the mask, so on Evo, she has a large, pronounced ring around her lips where the specular settings really intrude.

0_1522882916716_Spec Error.jpg

• Poser Ambassadors

@amethystpendant Some folks are new to layers ... if you could show us how you do this, it will really help. IF you don't mind.

• Poser Ambassadors

@Glitterati3D - is the mask plugged into the spec as well as transparency?

• @Glitterati3D This is what I do:
    1)Go into your face zone and select all the nodes for the face except the root and collapse them into a compound node. Rename this compound node "face" or whatever you like.

1. do the same for the glossy lip nodes for the lip and call that compound node "lips."
    2. copy the face compound node and paste it into the lip zone.
    3. create a mix shader and plug in your lip and face compound nodes into it. Use your lip mask as the modulator.
    4. copy the entire shader with both compound nodes and Paste (replace) the shader in the face zone with your double compound node.
      On PE you don't need to have the double compound node on the face zone because the lip zone is oversized but this will be useful on figures like Dawn and V4.
      0_1522885081332_lip mask zones.jpg

• @Boni said in How do I "mask" a layer:

@amethystpendant Some folks are new to layers ... if you could show us how you do this, it will really help. IF you don't mind.

Hi, here's my lip layer

0_1522909281341_f5bc4e37-adab-4c1d-ab68-2c4e27077388-image.png

I used the math function to reduce the effect and get a better blend. I found I had to plug the map in to the spec as well otherwise I got that shinny soround.

• @amethystpendant said in How do I "mask" a layer:

@Boni said in How do I "mask" a layer:

Hi, here's my lip layer

0_1522909281341_f5bc4e37-adab-4c1d-ab68-2c4e27077388-image.png

I used the math function to reduce the effect and get a better blend. I found I had to plug the map in to the spec as well otherwise I got that shinny soround.

Is there any benefits of using a Simple_Color node instead of just changing the colour on the root node?

• @trekkiegrrrl only one I can think of is that if you rename the Simple_Color node as PMC:Color, you can use @bagginsbill 's Parmatic script to change colours from the parameters palette simultaneously on multiple materials (provided you have the Parmatic version which supports such use).

• @anomalaus said in How do I "mask" a layer:

@trekkiegrrrl only one I can think of is that if you rename the Simple_Color node as PMC:Color, you can use @bagginsbill 's Parmatic script to change colours from the parameters palette simultaneously on multiple materials (provided you have the Parmatic version which supports such use).

Yes although I started writing a replacement for paramatic that didn't rely on PM: PMC: coding, just never got around to implementing it :( But thats why I used the simple_color I also like to see it as a separate element, purely personal choice.

• @amethystpendant I suppose I should offer my mods to @bagginsbill , before I just post his code with my additions here. Don't want to step on any toes.

• Poser Ambassadors

I'll take 'em. But did you read the top of the parmatic.py file?

Parmatic.py

# by Bagginsbill

# This script is public domain. Do whatever you want with it or
    # any part of it!

• Poser Ambassadors

The forum made the word "parmatic.py" a clickable link to nowhere. I didn't tell it to do that and I don't know how to stop it.

• @bagginsbill OK, but I am uncomfortable with diluting any part of the credit you are due for its development and release, and since people know it's your baby, and will look to you first to find the latest version, I don't want to muddy the waters by having multiple versions out that confuse people.

So. Parmatic3.zip contains my modified version with the original Parmatic2ReadMe.txt and an additional Parmatic3ReadMe.txt with details of which files were changed and how/why. Any questions, please PM me.

[EDIT: It feels like I've been writing configuration management log files based on diff comparisons of files for literally decades, now... Oh, wait, I have... At least this time they were my mods, rather than someone else's cryptic changes. :-) ]

• Okay, something is REALLY weird with layers and preview.

This is my Clara mat wearing my Alex dress in preview (view drooped to avaiod NSFW tag!)

0_1522968406443_Alex1.png

Here's how it renders
    0_1522968445622_Alex2.png

And here is the preview if I delete the layer on the lip mat
    0_1522968519404_Alex3.png

There is still a layer on the Head material and deleting that makes no difference, this is really weird.

• @amethystpendant weird, but absolutely normal for Poser. With my snow slush P-node masked transparency layer, the boots originally looked just semi-transparent in preview. Now they "appear" completely invisible until rendered! Now you know why @bagginsbill doesn't waste his time with Preview. OpenGL preview is so far from being useful for gauging how a SF render will appear as to be a complete joke.

At least we have the Raytrace Preview now, though it would be nice if there were a preview mode setting for it, so you don't have to wait forever if your final render settings have high numbers of samples.

• @anomalaus Yes I know, but as I do a lot of dynamics, having the preview show as if I have poke through is a pain, moving to sreeed works better but then I lose shadows and the head, apart from the lips, turns white :(