advice about lighting

• Hello there, folks.

can anyone advice how can I create this sort of lighting (poser pro 2014, octane render):

0_1523010129428_c482f957-6373-4136-9f9b-fdff1d8017d4-image.png

Generally, I want to have "natural" light, and have it diffused by the curtains, like a real-life diffuser. look also how there are very slight reflections on the floor. so basically I want light from outside, partially going through the curtains (and more through the window itself).

trying to put infinite light out side or a really big point light didn't do the trick.

I've purchased this scene from renderosity. I woulda asked the creator, but there's no email.

also, I've noticed that if we create emitters inside octan (the props that acts as lights in the octane render engine), even if I set the opacity to 0, the prop itself will still show in the render. it won't show only if i set it to invisible in poser - and than its gone also from the engine completely = no light. how do I fix this?

• Poser Ambassadors

@gsfcreator said in advice about lighting:

I woulda asked the creator, but there's no email.

Being a Rendo vendor, myself, I expect customers to contact me through Rendo. Nobody gets my email. I would suggest that if you wish to contact TruForm, try Renderosity SiteMail.

Anyway, the image clearly says "Poser Render", but if I understand correctly, you want to know how to do this in Octane. Which, sorry to say, I can't help you there. I know how to do this scene in Poser though and it would involve an infinite light.

• @gsfcreator I don't understand the question. If you bought the scene from Renderosity, all you need to do is look at how everything is set up to answer all your questions.

• renderosity's platform was changed since the last time I've been there (years). searched for the contact button, missed it, now I see it. writing him as we speak :)

eclark, I wish to transfer this into octane, since i have to learn that engine atm.

this is what I got from one infinite light source (daylight). I couldn't upload the full image here, its too big, but its spehrical (for 360 view) and there is TONS of noise in the shadows. 5000 passes. so...is there any way to get those cleaned up beside adding more passes?

0_1523019566768_1f979308-0a06-444a-93ff-7322a8d54cc7-image.png

• @gsfcreator Sorry, I know next to nothing about Octane.

• Starting point: big mesh light looking in the window + portal on the window.

• Poser Ambassadors

A big mesh light will not look like sunlight. The angle subtended by the light with respect to the portal must be 1/2 degree - otherwise the shadow is too soft.

• Poser Ambassadors

OP should go to otoy forum - this is not a Poser question.

• @bagginsbill said in advice about lighting:

OP should go to otoy forum - this is not a Poser question.

Must admit, that was my reaction too

• @bagginsbill I'll figure it out, and post there if I wont get it. thanks for trying, anyway :)

@phdubrov - thanks! I've tried it. daylight (infinite) light worked better, but i still have tweaks and tests to do.

• As above guys suggested mesh light would make shadows too soft if its too big,smaller mesh light will have stronger shadows but still I would rather use Infinite light with high intensity and play with rotations x and y(in my case I used x rotation -26 and y rotation -180),in below render I used Infinite light with 650% intensity and placed larger mesh light bellow ceiling with intensity at 45% and light colour 255, 255, 251

If you are still can't manage to do so then I would speak with Sebastian@True Form,I can only recommend him,he helped me a lot previously and I'm pretty sure he will be able to help you as well

Rendered in SuperFly and render time at 70 samples in 30 minutes

alt text

alt text

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

• @jura11 thanks! I already spoke with trueform :).

thing is, I need to do this within octanerender, and I still have a lot to learn.

• @jura11 said in advice about lighting:

As above guys suggested mesh light would make shadows too soft if its too big,smaller mesh light will have stronger shadows but still I would rather use Infinite light with high intensity and play with rotations x and y(in my case I used x rotation -26 and y rotation -180),in below render I used Infinite light with 650% intensity and placed larger mesh light bellow ceiling with intensity at 45% and light colour 255, 255, 251

If you are still can't manage to do so then I would speak with Sebastian@True Form,I can only recommend him,he helped me a lot previously and I'm pretty sure he will be able to help you as well

alt text

alt text

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

Jura, have you ever thought about using Poser hair room to make those rugs more plush? Just a thought. :)
    0_1523374085669_P16768034.jpg

• @gsfcreator said in advice about lighting:

@jura11 thanks! I already spoke with trueform :).

thing is, I need to do this within octanerender, and I still have a lot to learn.

Hi there

That's great are you spoke with TF

In Octane Render you can try to use Octane Daylight which should work there as with mesh/area light you will never have strong or stronger shadows,I have just done quick dirty render in Octane and C4D on our company workstation where I have used Octane Daylight only for lighting the scene,its still noisy or noisier than with SuperFly and rendered with PMC kernel and 7500 samples

alt text

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

• @eclark1849 said in advice about lighting:

@jura11 said in advice about lighting:

As above guys suggested mesh light would make shadows too soft if its too big,smaller mesh light will have stronger shadows but still I would rather use Infinite light with high intensity and play with rotations x and y(in my case I used x rotation -26 and y rotation -180),in below render I used Infinite light with 650% intensity and placed larger mesh light bellow ceiling with intensity at 45% and light colour 255, 255, 251

alt text

alt text

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

Jura, have you ever thought about using Poser hair room to make those rugs more plush? Just a thought. :)
    0_1523374085669_P16768034.jpg

Hi there

Usually I use hair and fur in 3DS MAX or in Sketchup for some rugs,but problem is some of these hair and fur are not compatible with Poser etc which is pain,didn't tried to use Poser hair room for something like this but will see

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

• @eclark1849 I'd love to hear some advice regarding that...:)

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.