Lighting in Poser Pro 11?.

• If i have a Poser figure in the scene eg V4 and i render the scene with Firefly the resulting image looks really good
    and have no issues with the lighting.
    If i now render the same basic scene using Superfly the charactor [ Any charactor in fact ] is rendered far to bright
    but should look more or less the same as the Firefly render but maybe at a higher quality.
    Ive had Poser Pro 11 for a while now and still cannot get the lighting right.
    This is the only issue i have with Poser 11 and any advice would be most welcome.

• How many and what kinds of lights are you using?

• Poser Ambassadors

Your experience with FireFly, does that include using Linear Workflow (Gamma Correction on at 2.2) or not?

If you're used to rendering without GC, you have been compensating by adding tons more lights. When you then render with GC (it's not optional in SuperFly) it will be obvious you have way too much light.

This isn't because lighting has changed - it's because rendering has.

• I have a perfect 3 light set up for V4 when using Firefly

1 Infinate light intensity set to 280

2 Infinate light intensity set to 122

3 Infinate light intensity set to 98

If i render the same scene with Superfly the figure
    virtually disappears in a flood of light.

I get this all the time as what renders ok with Firefly is always
    far to bright with Superfly.

• Poser Ambassadors

Try turning off lights 2 & 3 completely, then change the intensity of light 1 to 100% - render that & see what it looks like. Then switch on light 2, change it to 100% & render. Then start adjusting the intensity for each light & test render each time you adjust a light. If you hide things like hair etc and use a small render size and low quality settings you should be able to do lots of renders quite quickly.

• @bagginsbill said in Lighting in Poser Pro 11?.:

Your experience with FireFly, does that include using Linear Workflow (Gamma Correction on at 2.2) or not?

If you're used to rendering without GC, you have been compensating by adding tons more lights. When you then render with GC (it's not optional in SuperFly) it will be obvious you have way too much light.

Quote.
    "This isn't because lighting has changed - it's because rendering has."
    So what do i need to do regarding rendering to make the figure render properly ?.

Yes Gamma correction is on in fire fly [ 2.2] but the issue is not with Firefly.
    When you render in Superfly the figures just render to bright.
    Ive not changed anything in the render setting panel all default settings.
    It puzzles me why you cannot simply load a figure into the scene and it
    renders ok just like A Firefly render instead of being over bright all the time.

• @poserprofan said in Lighting in Poser Pro 11?.:

@bagginsbill said in Lighting in Poser Pro 11?.:

Quote.
    "This isn't because lighting has changed - it's because rendering has."
    So what do i need to do regarding rendering to make the figure render properly ?.

Yes Gamma correction is on in fire fly [ 2.2] but the issue is not with Firefly.
    When you render in Superfly the figures just render to bright.
    Ive not changed anything in the render setting panel all default settings.
    It puzzles me why you cannot simply load a figure into the scene and it
    renders ok just like A Firefly render instead of being over bright all the time.

another thing that is different is that (I might get this wrong) specular and reflect are handled differently in SF. If I have spec and reflect both set to 1 for FF they will both be adding to reflection in SF.

Yes, your lights are way too bright as well. I have noticed that it is very easy in SF to blow-out a scene with lighting where I get those old familiar yellow tinted high-lights.

• Poser Ambassadors

There is only one sun out there. One only.

I render with a single Infinite light at 75% intensity to "play" sun, inside the BB sphere.
    That is more light then you will ever need for an outside render.

IDL = ON, and GC set to 2.2 (For FireFly that is.)

• Thanks for all your advise.
    Sorry ive not replied sooner as ive been trying a few things out in response to
    someone else in another thread "piersyf" /Show us your Superfly render.
    Ive simply quoted, below, my last reply to this thread.
    Quote.
    "Hi again.
    I seem to have resolved the lighting issue i have.
    I read the tutorial provided by "piersyf" and in response i tried a few things
    different than i had before and got results.
    The issue has been for the most part a texture issue and not a lighting issue.
    The textures i use on some of my V4 figures are provided by "Thornworks"
    These particular textures, it turns out, are the textures that render overbright
    with Superfly render. Virtually any other V4 texture will render ok with Superfly
    Some Daz figure textures also render to bright but not all.
    Regarding any skin textures that render to bright.
    I found that if you go to the materials panel and disconnect the Translucence color channel for each
    and every skin texture part of V4 then your figure will render in Superfly a lot better.
    I presume that this same procedure should work for any skin texture that innitially renders much to bright.
    So thanks all for comments made and advice given."
    End Quote.

Although ive had some success with my lighting issue i will be trying out anything that has been suggested.

• You should try EZSkin 3 to optimize your texture settings for Superfly. It will "correct" those node connects and improve your rendering.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.