I may be changing my email soon....

• For the longest time, my email service has been with Yahoo. Primarily because it's free. But now, Yahoo has just lost it's damn mind. They just sold out to some new company called Oath, and they want me to agree to let them share my data with everybody on the internet and their mama. I think I'm gonna be needing a new email address. Which also means I'm going to need tto change all my current logins on the forums I visit.

• Poser Ambassadors

Hah! I just tried to log in to my Yahoo mail account, and that Oath ultimatum pops up; if you try reloading the page, it keeps redirecting to Oath. I notice that there is no option offered such as "No, I do not agree to let you change the rules ex post facto and misuse my data; these are not the terms under which I established this account".
    0_1524019057203_Yahoo-Oath terms.PNG

That is the oldest email account I have, used as my username in umpteen places, but I guess I'll have to abandon it.

edit/update: Arrrgh! My internet service provider, Frontier, uses a private section of Yahoo mail, and now I see a notice there to the effect that I must agree to their new help-ourselves-to-rooting-through-your-data rules or I lose access to my Frontier account. That would be the account for which I pay ~$100 a month.

0_1524020604955_note to Frontier17Apr2018.PNG

• @eclark1849 Might I suggest you get in contact with your Internet Provider, as I'm sure they must have email options. I have one from mine, though I use it for personal stuff, and nothing 3D graphics related. Those I have set up with various Gmail email accounts.

• @eclark1849 My brother switched to this https://runbox.com/ apparently from Norway and they supposed to have stricter privacy laws that the US.

• @Miss-B said in I may be changing my email soon....:

@eclark1849 Might I suggest you get in contact with your Internet Provider, as I'm sure they must have email options. I have one from mine, though I use it for personal stuff, and nothing 3D graphics related. Those I have set up with various Gmail email accounts.

My IP is Spectrum, and you know how I feel about them.

• Poser Ambassadors

@ghostship Thank you for that suggestion; I'll look into that.

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849 said in I may be changing my email soon....:

For the longest time, my email service has been with Yahoo. Primarily because it's free. But now, Yahoo has just lost it's damn mind. They just sold out to some new company called Oath,

Actually, they sold to Verizon quite a while ago. Verizon also bought AOL. Verizon placed them together in a new brand, Oath, that Verizon invented just for the purpose of having a distinct marketing identity for the purpose of selling targeted advertising. Verizon is in the ISP business and the optics of being in the selling-private-data business as well is too dangerous. Thus they made a separate brand to obfuscate the fact that my ISP and my email service are THE SAME COMPANY.

and they want me to agree to let them share my data with everybody on the internet and their mama.

Actually, if you had paid attention, yahoo has been sniffing your emails and using that to target specific ads to you (and me) for years. This is not news.

The only news here is they officially updated the AOL and Yahoo mail services under a single "privacy" policy that has actually been the policy of Yahoo for a very long time. This is news to the AOL people. It should not be news to the Yahoo users.

• @bagginsbill Yeahhh, that's not making me feel any better.

• Poser Ambassadors

Everything you do on the net is like an open house with no doors.

Good and bad people will get what they want anyhow, regardless, whatever you do.

Any system, all systems can be hacked into and abused till death turns into dust.

Privacy is vaporware on the Internet.

On the net?
    You are naked and it does not matter how many layers of clothing you are hiding behind.

• @vilters said in I may be changing my email soon....:

Everything you do on the net is like an open house with no doors.

Good and bad people will get what they want anyhow, regardless, whatever you do.

Any system, all systems can be hacked into and abused till death turns into dust.

Privacy is vaporware on the Internet.

On the net?
    You are naked and it does not matter how many layers of clothing you are hiding behind.

There are two rallying cries in this world, Tony. One changes things, hopefully for the better, the other maintains the status quo.

I'd rather opt for the cry of "No More!" than the one that says "Oh well!"

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849
    Tja Earl, there simply is too much money to be gained or lost in the information gathering business.
    See all the big players, Google, Facebook, Snapchat, Whatsapp, Yahoo, they all collect info, may we like it or not.

Euh, this reflects also what I think about the "cloud", OneDrive, Googledrive, Dropbox and all the others (......) fill in the blanks, we have to cope with these days.

If 10 year olds can hack, so can everybody else.

if the internet was the ocean? There would be no water left.

• I figured this change was a CYA response to what was happening with the facebook lawsuit.

• @redphantom I agree, but I also agree with Bagginsbill. Like Tony, I just didn't care that much. But I'm crying no more. Tony's right, it is happening, but I don't have to participate. That's why I'm not on Facebook or Twitter. Email is a little harder to not join, but I'm certainly going to try.

• Poser Ambassadors

"We’ve also added a class action waiver" So, yeah, CYA.

@redphantom said in I may be changing my email soon....:

I figured this change was a CYA response to what was happening with the facebook lawsuit.

What is most irksome is that this not only affects my old freebie Yahoo account, but also the paid account through my ISP:
    0_1524091703602_snip from Frontier-Oath notice.png

• I'm thinking about switching over to GMail, since I already have an account with them anyway. Just never used it. Of course that may be temporary as well.

• @eclark1849 That's what I did years ago. I had my original Gmail addy for over a year before I actually started to use it. Now I have 2 others, one of them dedicated just to my forums.

• I've taken to not having an email address at all. When the need arises I go to 10minutemail.com and use the address given there for confirmation requests and such. it vanishes without a trace in 10min so I leave the page open and renew until no longer needed.
    I also have a revolving IP that changes every 10 min automatically....

HEY, just 'cause you're paranoid does'nt mean theyre not out to get you...LOL

• Poser Ambassadors

They're going to get your Barbara,....they're coming for you Barbara..mawwaahhahahah!!!

• protonmail.com might be an option to consider.
    Couple that with the Tor browser, and you might enjoy a bit of privacy for a while.
    Although, highly unlikely.

• Poser Ambassadors

Thank you, @JAFO and @krios! 0_1524206969720_thankssign.gif

I've already got the new broadband modem installed and cable routed. I can get the internet service connected this weekend, then the phone service will change on Monday.

I have no delusions that email is secure, but when a paid ISP/email service demands that I give them express permission to root through my email and photos, and that such permission also constitutes a waiver of my right to join a class action suit, then I'm out.

Once I get the new email established, I'll begin updating my profile at the 3D forae and stores. 0_1524207715073_yes_nod.gif