Creating a new figure, need help with rigging mouth

• I'm working on a stylized toon figure. The modeling and mapping are complete, and now I'm getting ready to start rigging. I haven't started grouping yet because I'm having a hard time getting my head around what to do with the mouth. I've been creating clothing for a long time and have no problem understanding arms and legs and such, but I've never worked on a mouth.

Can anyone give me some direction in regards to grouping and rigging a mouth (teeth, gums and tongue as well as jaw). I was planning to create a jaw bone to control the opening and closing of the mouth, but how would I group that?

Anyway, I could use some help with this. Sorry, I don't have any pics of her yet, she's still living in my modeler.

Thanks in advance. :)

• @david Here is a video on rigging from one of our members and former Poser developer team member @Teyon

hopefully this will be helpful.

• Poser Ambassadors

@Teyon's video tutorial is excellent.

@david - if you have Poser 11 take a look at Paul & Pauline. They have facial rigging but no groups for those bones like the jaw; these figures use the control handle feature so that the bones in the faces are selectable.

If you have Hivewire's Human figures they are also worth looking at to see how the jaw has been grouped & boned.

The last time I tried rigging was a year ago, the screenshots below are how far I got. I grouped the tongue, lower teeth, lower half of the inner mouth, lower lip & a lot of mesh at the jawline. It looked awful until I started painting weights, which was fiddly & took a while. Ultimately I didn't like the results but I plan to try again :)

0_1524256467196_jaw open.PNG

Shows the pivot for the jaw -

0_1524256646937_jaw pivot.PNG

• @ghostship Thanks for the video. I'd seen that before but had forgotten about it. It should be very helpful.

@caisson I will check out the Hivewire figures. I don't know if I'm ready to do something like Pauline. Setting up all those facial controls looks a bit complicated.

And I think you should try again with your figure. What you've shown looks pretty good.

Thank you both for your help.