Did you like or Dislike Apollo Maximus?

• Neither, really. He definitely had some advantages, but I like interesting characters. He didn't have the topology or polygon count to make anything but very regular, rounded shapes. So he always looked toony to me. But he had a lot of base content and I really appreciated him as the freebie he became. And if I want to make a unique, low definition, rounded character, I might try him out.

That said, IMHO, it's kind of like this: You have some figure with both versatility and detail. It's really easy to smooth that figure out and make a low definition character, unless the topology is just awful. You have a figure that's either low polygon or has a smooth topology that ignores anatomy, and you cannot add detailed versatility without displacement or DAZ's HD tech that's only given to blessed developers. So it's much easier to just admire but never use a well developed figure that has hard limitations while advancing and enhancing a figure with fewer default bells and whistles but a decent anatomical topology and polygon count.

• Poser Ambassadors

High polygon count is a thing of the past. => It is a "hype", nothing more , nothing less.

Using my Video1 and 2 on YouTube you can get as much detail in ANY Poser meh as your heart desires.

Thus far all 3rd party figures ended when their "inventors" moved on.
    If you don't support your own creations, they die rather fast.

DAZ people are popular, because after release they crank out support by the dozens.
    SM and 3rd party figures die, because after release, the creators move on to their "next" projects.

Most die because of lack of textures, extra morphs, or are just too complicated for the "home alone end user".

Customers want to see, want to feel the creators continued support.
    Best regards, Tony

• @vilters said in Did you like or Dislike Apollo Maximus?:

Thus far all 3rd party figures ended when their "inventors" moved on.
    If you don't support your own creations, they die rather fast.

DAZ people are popular, because after release they crank out support by the dozens.
    SM and 3rd party figures die, because after release, the creators move on to their "next" projects.

Most die because of lack of textures, extra morphs, or are just too complicated for the "home alone end user".

Customers want to see, want to feel the creators continued support.
    Best regards, Tony

You're right about that bit. That is why I hope PE can gain support, and one of the reasons why she really needs to be available at R'osity. They are, after all, the biggest place for Poser stuff, at least that "everybody" knows about.

As for Apollo. I used him quite a lot back when he was new and all. He has some great features/options, things I have only seen in him and PE.
    I found him easy to morph, too. And he doesn't need to be all soft and rounded (although that was one of the things that put me off ... he looks so ... doughy.)

But this is also Apollo Maximus:
    0_1524602271886_225e0e24-9a8c-4fe4-b29d-b5fcbfa96744-image.png

• Poser Ambassadors

@kobaltkween said in Did you like or Dislike Apollo Maximus?:

You have a figure that's either low polygon or has a smooth topology that ignores anatomy, and you cannot add detailed versatility without displacement or DAZ's HD tech that's only given to blessed developers.

The other option is Poser's multi-res morphs - yes, you need a copy of Zbrush, but unlike HD it's not a closed in-house solution. Set a higher subdivision level in Poser, use GoZ to send to Zbrush, sculpt then return to Poser to create a morph which can be applied to either that subdivision level only or propagated to lower levels too.

• I suppose I'm in the minority here :) I really, really liked Apollo. Back in 2005 when he was first released there was no other figure like him. He may have looked "doughy" out of the box but he's very morphable.
    Capsces also came out with Cole for Apollo and that helped too. Clothes have always been and continue to be a problem for any 3rd party figure but Poserworld always managed to put out a few items even for the lesser known figures.
    One of my early attempts with AM 2005 to recreate the statue Apollo Sauroktonos albeit without the tree and lizard.
    ***=NSFW content***

click to show

So, how does he stand up to the test of time? Well, here's Apollo Maximus 2007 (the free version) rendered in Poser 11 Pro.

0_1524630500899_colemidaged.JPG

I find I can still use him and as far as the genitals showing I don't see why that's such a huge problem. Make them invisible, save that .cr2 and you won't have to do that each time. :)

• I've used him a few times just for variety. I'd never use him as a central figure. I think @kalypso gave a great example of usability.

• I like this figure. I should use it more often.

• @kalypso Them showing when using him in a scene was never the issue. But modeling around them was. If I hid them and then exported the obj, it had a big hole when his genitals were.

• Poser Ambassadors

I'm a real lover of Apollo Maximus (still a friend of Anton's). My only issue is that I can only use him once in scene and render because he won't show up if I reopen a scene. Nor will his resources. Not sure why. BUT as a model, he is IMHO on par with PE.

• Poser Ambassadors

@Boni

At the time, with the possibilities that existed way back then, Anton build some great stuff.
    I remember a discussion with Anton somewhere on the amount of research he did (again at that time where Internet was a rarity, all things in perspective) , to build those figures.

• @rokketman said in Did you like or Dislike Apollo Maximus?:

@kalypso Them showing when using him in a scene was never the issue. But modeling around them was. If I hid them and then exported the obj, it had a big hole when his genitals were.

Yeah but in reality, men DOES have this dangly stuff there. So modelling around it should be in a ... compacted form rather than "eunuch"

And it did have morphs to tuck it up as far as I remember :)

• @trekkiegrrrl I still have him, so I will check that out later and get back to you.

• @rokketman said in Did you like or Dislike Apollo Maximus?:

@trekkiegrrrl I still have him, so I will check that out later and get back to you.

Me, too. I should probably drag out the poor boy and let him get some sunshine :D

• @trekkiegrrrl I couldn't figure out how to 'tuck' his junk... I am going to play with him some more when I get tired of messing with the thousands of morph options on my V4...

• Poser Ambassadors

@kalypso The Statues are pure epic.

• @Ladonna Thank you dear :)

• OK. So he doesn't have a morph per se to tuck the junk away, but it's still moveable so you can get rid of it enough to clothe him realistically.

And he is kinda nice. I think his "soft" features make him look younger. But he's a great figure in many ways. I just wish I had more clothes for him ...
    0_1525012450117_71daa862-9c68-4cc4-b33e-265cb7e1b12c-image.png

• Poser Ambassadors

@trekkiegrrrl Pretty handsome guy :)