Need a 30 minute crash course on superfly renders.

• Can you guys link me to crash coursing superfly in 30 minutes or less? I already know Poser shaders very well, just need to crash course the superfly stuff.

The biggest problem I have right now is that Superfly renders are EXTREMELY grainy, the shadows are too sharp and the specular lighting is too strong. A 3 minute render with firefly looks ten times better than a 3 minute superfly render.

• Superfly renders will take longer than Firefly ones, much longer. To reduce the grain, you need to increase your render settings. I'd post a suggestion, but I'm running a render. For the specular, Firefly shaders used many tricks to create specular that aren't needed in Superfly. Firefly shaders will need to be adjusted. For shadows, if you are using infinite lights, on the properties tab, increase the blur radius. For all other lights, increase the size of the light (scale it up) to blur the shadows. It won't add more light, just softer shadows.

• @zazop Noise is relative to how your scene is set up: How is it lit? What objects are in the scene? JPG's will give you a different result than HDRI's for skydome lighting. What mats are you using? This is not a subject that will be resolved with a quick tutorial, however, once you know what you are doing with Superfly your images WILL look better than the Firefly output.

• @zazop Also, don't let Poser intimidate or scare you off. The program is geared towards the artistically creative mindset as opposed to the people who want to just click a button and "Make art". It doesn't work like that. Also, once you understand the program better you will find what works best for you and it will become second nature to you.

• Poser Ambassadors

If you are rendering in SuperFly with a FireFly material room setup? You are asking for troubles.
    a) Superfly needs a LOT less light and a complete review af all the materials in your scene.
    b) You can use 3 Different root nodes => use them.
    c) Goto YouTube and look at all you can find about Cycles in Blender.
    d) Look at the SM tutorial / webinar here below :

Most of all, Study, study, study.
    There is NO 30 minute crash course for something that takes years to master.
    Best regards, Tony

• Poser Ambassadors

Start with the SM webinar here above before digging in these 2 more well done and nice but more advanced video's :

• Thx, these were helpful. I just need to figure out skin shaders for things like SSS, eyes, hair, skin. Going to check out EZSkin 3.

Do you guys happen to know of a superfly tutorial that covers basic indoor lighting and basic outdoor lighting?

I think for indoor lighting I just have 4 walls, ceiling, carpet and one area light right?

For outdoor lighting do I need BB's enviro sphere and just one infinite light or something?

• @zazop https://www.renderosity.com/mod/tutorial_premium/?section_id=1

Video tutorial for everything you need to know.

• Definitely get EZDome https://forum.smithmicro.com/topic/798/ezdome-a-new-skydome-environment-sphere-from-snarlygribbly

Check out some of Jura11's freebies to see light set up for indoor renders too. https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/contributor/jura11

• @zazop said in Need a 30 minute crash course on superfly renders.:

Thx, these were helpful. I just need to figure out skin shaders for things like SSS, eyes, hair, skin. Going to check out EZSkin 3.

Do you guys happen to know of a superfly tutorial that covers basic indoor lighting and basic outdoor lighting?

I think for indoor lighting I just have 4 walls, ceiling, carpet and one area light right?

For outdoor lighting do I need BB's enviro sphere and just one infinite light or something?

I second the EZDOME suggestion, it's great for quickly setting up a great global lighting scheme.

Just keep in mind that SuperFly is really meant for accurate reproduction of light and materials. SF doesn't need any of that wacko FF workaround stuff and trickery to look good and it wouldn't work in SF anyway. When setting up a scene, think of it as its real world counterpart would be. Consider the lighting as if you're actually setting up something and taking a picture of it.

• Poser Ambassadors

SuperFly needs something to contain the light traces.

You have many options here:

• Use the default dome, called the construct, that comes with Poser11
    • Use the BB dome
    • Use the EZDome

In the 2 video's below, I show how to get the most out of the default Poser11 (The Construct) dome that comes with the standard Poser11 scene.

And here both material room setups :
    0_1524730412091_Dome-Ground-plane.jpg

On the ground plane, I connect the ground texture to :

• Color
    • Specular at roughness 0.5
    • Bump and displacement at 1 inch (my units are mm) and I added displacement for FireFly use only.

0_1524730558618_Dome-Sky.jpg
    The Sky is even simpler:

• Simply connect the Sky texture into Emission at Strength 0.5 => This adds in the IDL calculations.

For outdoor scenes, the only other light used is a single Infinite light "playing sun".
    => => => On the Infinite Light, the shadow is set to Ray Trace Shadows with a Shadow blur radius of 13. <= <= <=

There is only one sun out there so you only need a single Infinite light for outdoor scenes.

The above material room setups work in ALL of Posers render engines.

• Preview
    • Raytrace Preview
    • Raytrace Full
    • FireFly
    • SuperFly

Best regards, Tony

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.