Hard drive on different SATA port makes Poser slooooooow

• So, a couple weeks ago I suffered a major system crash and upon restarting the computer, my secondary drive was no longer visible in Windows, Oh, the horror I suddenly felt. I keep an external backup, but still, you can't help but get that feeling. I store all my Poser content on my secondary because my poor little 250G SSD would cry because there would be no space left.

After some quick deduction, I found that it just wasn't showing up in Windows, but BIOS could see it. I switched it from one SATA port which was a 6Gb/s port (Intel controller) to another which is also 6Gb/s, but is run by a different controller (Asmedia [mother board is an ASUS P8Z77-V]). What I found out was that even though both SATA ports are 6Gb/s capable, when I plugged the drive into the Asmedia SATA port, the libraries were super slow to load and always acted like Poser was struggling to find anything, sometimes not even showing any thumbnails for minutes while it attempted to load.

Fast forward to today and I decided to revisit this to find out why the drive wasn't showing up. I ended up figuring out that uninstalling the driver for the "missing" drive and letting Windows reinstall it, the drive would suddenly show up, so corrupted driver.

So, why would putting the drive on a different SATA port which is the same speed, but different controller make it so slow to access information? The drive in question is a 1TB, 7500 RPM Western Digital Blue hard drive.

I guess in the end everything is ok now, but this just strikes me as odd.

• Poser Ambassadors

If you had windows indexing on before, you may need to rebuild the index, or simply disable indexing all together

• @shvrdavid said in Hard drive on different SATA port makes Poser slooooooow:

If you had windows indexing on before, you may need to rebuild the index, or simply disable indexing all together

Someone else had suggested that and I tried it, but it didn't seem to make any difference, also because it should have technically already been indexed even when switching from one port to another.

• Poser Ambassadors

@cujoe_da_man said in Hard drive on different SATA port makes Poser slooooooow:

ASUS P8Z77-V

I did some checking on the issue, and it seems to be a known issue, The Asmedia controllers only use one pcie lane, which limits the speed to below 6gig. One lane only supports about 500 meg a second. Putting the optical drives on the Asmedia ports and the hard drives on the Intel ones seems to be the only workaround.

• Well now, isn't that special... I'm just glad I figured out how to revive the drive in Windows :P