How to Speed up Cycles...

• Okay, so here's the thing. Most of you know that Superfly is a hybrid of the Cycles rendering engine. So that is why I'm posting the link to this article from Blender Guru on steps you can take to speed up rendering in Cycles.

The thing you HAVE to remember though is that this was written for Blender, not Poser, and so some of the suggestions just don't translate well.

That said, it's still an interesting read. I'd love to hear it some of you tried any of these suggestions.
    https://www.blenderguru.com/articles/4-easy-ways-to-speed-up-cycles

• Hmm, interesting. Had a read through it and the big thing I may have taken away is the tile sizes. For us, that would be Bucket Size. GPU benefited from bigger (fewer) while CPU smaller (more). This is interesting because in SuperFly it simply says larger bucket sizes give faster render, but if this guide is true that's the complete opposite effect if only using your CPU to render...

So I stopped typing this and ran a test at this point, and... well it was quicker. I'll probably have to do more testing... but initially, this seems promising. My bucket size was 64 and the result was
    Rendering time: 305.72 seconds

So I turned it down to 16
    Rendering time: 277.77 seconds.

• @Cobra said in How to Speed up Cycles...:

Hmm, interesting. Had a read through it and the big thing I may have taken away is the tile sizes. For us, that would be Bucket Size. GPU benefited from bigger (fewer) while CPU smaller (more). This is interesting because in SuperFly it simply says larger bucket sizes give faster render, but if this guide is true that's the complete opposite effect if only using your CPU to render...

So I stopped typing this and ran a test at this point, and... well it was quicker. I'll probably have to do more testing... but initially, this seems promising. My bucket size was 64 and the result was
    Rendering time: 305.72 seconds

So I turned it down to 16
    Rendering time: 277.77 seconds.

Very interesting.
    I'm using large buckets, because that what we were told ... But it's still sloooow.

Now, I use Progressive rendering, and I'm not sure if bucket size still even applies then? I just like that I can see at a fairly early stage if for instance a foot is below ground, or something else is intersecting, so I can stop the render and fix it.

Because sure as anything, whatever you need to check will otherwise be the very last bucket that gets rendered XD

• Poser Ambassadors

When SuperFly first appeared we had a long discussion about bucket size and we all established without any doubt that 256 is best for GPU and 16 for CPU. In fact, I had a slight improvement with 8, but my computer is different now and so is SuperFly. Old news but I suppose it's lost in the wilderness.

• With cpu rendering I've encountered problems with a larger bucket size due to different buckets taking different times. One particular example involved a scene with a single nude figure with transmapped hair. The larger bucket size meant only one thread was working on this, so in the end I had 27 threads sitting idle while I waited over an hour for the last thread to finish.

I realised if I'd used a bucket size half of what I did, four threads would have been working on the hair.

• I found another Blender Guru Video called the 18 ways to speed up Cycles. I'm putting the link here so you can watch it if you want.

I did watch it though, and once again remember that these apply mainly to Cycles, but Superfly can probably benefit as well. You'll notice that I only specifically posted 12 suggestions. That was because a few of them were Cycles specific, like using the new Denoiser filter, using Portals, or using the latest version of Blender.

1. reduce light Bounces

2. Use GPU

3. Change the Tile Size (Smaller for CPU) (Larger for GPU)

4. Reduce Samples

5. Use newest version

6. Use a different OS

7. Clamp it. The higher the better. Indirect only.

8. Turn off Caustics

9. Remove Alpha transparency.

10. Reduce the strand count (Hair & particles)

11. Remove Volumetrics

12. Cut Subsurface Scattering (If you don't need it)

• @bagginsbill Hmm, makes sense that the GPU presets with Poser have the bucket size set to 256 then, but odd that they went with 64 for the software presets.

• @eclark1849 said in How to Speed up Cycles...:

I found another Blender Guru Video called the 18 ways to speed up Cycles. I'm putting the link here so you can watch it if you want.

I did watch it though, and once again remember that these apply mainly to Cycles, but Superfly can probably benefit as well. You'll notice that I only specifically posted 12 suggestions. That was because a few of them were Cycles specific, like using the new Denoiser filter, using Portals, or using the latest version of Blender.

1. reduce light Bounces

2. Use GPU

3. Change the Tile Size (Smaller for CPU) (Larger for GPU)

4. Reduce Samples

5. Use newest version

6. Use a different OS

7. Clamp it. The higher the better. Indirect only.

8. Turn off Caustics

9. Remove Alpha transparency.

10. Reduce the strand count (Hair & particles)

11. Remove Volumetrics

12. Cut Subsurface Scattering (If you don't need it)

Does the "Use a different OS" work for Poser? I mean... it's a Windows (or Mac) program. Does it actually run in Linux? [any flavor]

• @trekkiegrrrl You can check with Robynsveil. I know she's a Linuxphreak, ;).
    I think she managed to get Poser working in Linux. She talked about wanting to do it, I know.

• @eclark1849 Miss B and Hornet are discussing getting Poser to run in Linux now in a thread at Hivewire. Hope this helps.

https://community.hivewire3d.com/threads/poser-11-in-unix.2893/#post-140947

• @eclark1849 Sorry I know I'm off topic, what a news, but I think I forgot something, or something has changed...
    I'm a registered user at Hirewire, I can access the store, but when I go to the forum, it tells me I'm not registered.

• @fonpaolo Sorry, you'll have to talk to someone higher up the ladder than me. I'm just another user. But you should still be able to at least read the forums as a guest.

• @fonpaolo Yes, you can still read the forum as a guest. I'm a Community Volunteer at HiveWire, and I'm not sure why you can log into the store and not the forum, as I was under the impression they were the same login information.

That said, I know the store will log you out after a while, whereas the forum should keep you logged in indefinitely if you want it to.

Let me check with our head Moderator and see what she has to say about this.

Edited to Add: OK, sent her a PM, so hopefully will have an answer as soon as she's back on the forum.

• @Miss-B My login is the same for both.

• @fonpaolo Yes, our head Moderator got back to me. You can use the same login and password for both the store and forums, but you must do separate registrations for each.

• Thanks to both of you @eclark1849 and @Miss-B, It's been a while from the last time I posted or even looked at HW forum.
    I really can't understand what happened...
    I'll try to register in the forum again.

• @fonpaolo We did put up a new forum the end of 2015, so that may be the reason why.

• @Miss-B ...2015? ...I don't think it's been so long from my last visit to the HW forum. O_o

• @fonpaolo Once you re-register, you might want to get Lisa to annex your old account so you would still have access to any downloads you bought previously.

• @eclark1849 Since Miss B said they need separate registrations, I'll only register again on the forums...