refresher in case anyone wants to use FBX figures in Poser P11

• A refresher, for anyone who missed it.

I made a simple How-To video (originally in response to a request by AutoDesk ASEAN) on how to generate a rigged figure inside their Character Generator utility, and then bringing the resultant FBX into Poser Pro 11 for posing and rendering. (There are some typos in the video, but they do not affect the overall explanation).

How-To: Autodesk Character Generator x Poser Pro 11

In my video, I showed how to create an anime-style male.

• Thanks for posting this.

• I generated an anime-style ikemen (cool guy) using Autodesk's Character Generator, exported him as FBX generic, imported him into Poser Pro 11, posed him, and rendered a movie to show what he looks like. I can confirm that the figure bends beautifully, and the light geometry makes it so easy to render as movie. (I have added lomo effect and slowed down the video half-speed, using YouTube Video Manager).

• @ibr_remote Thank you. What do you mean by the "top level" of the rig? I have found that using the dials to pose doesn't work for body parts. I have to drag to pose.

• @RobZhena - when the FBX comes into the scene, you will see several figure rigs. The topmost in the Hierarchy window is the one to pose. You can only pose each figure part by clicking first on that part in the hierarchy view, then using the parameter dials x y z rotations to pose the part. Each part must be posed individually.

• Here is a multi-figure concatenated movie showing various FBX characters I generated from AutoDesk Character Generator, which I then animated using Adobe Mixamo Fuse CC, then imported into Poser and made into movies. I used Windows Photo and Movie Editor to create the concatenated movie, so the music is theirs.

• Here is what it looks like when I am using Poser Pro 11 to view the animated FBX figure (music provided by YouTube)

• Now that I think about it, the problem I have is that the rigging of G8F is rediculous. Because the rigging can only move joints in two directions, the shoulder, for example, has separate bend and twist parts.

• @RobZhena - I noticed that, but it has has its own workability.

• An action animation I created using Poser Pro 11. Once again demonstrating how to get FBX figures working with animation inside Poser Pro 11. I generated a male figure using Autodesk Character Creator, animated it with Adobe Mixamo Fuse CC, then imported the FBX into Poser Pro 11 and render movie clips. I concatenated the clips using Microsoft Photo and Movie Editor, so the music is theirs. (I added auto-enhancement effects in YouTube Video Manager)

• Now, some of you may also know that Adobe has Fuse CC which also generates characters, which then get rigged in Mixamo, an online utility of theirs. Here are my notes on the Adobe Fuse CC route to generating FBX rigged poseable characters for use in Poser.

My comments about Adobe Fuse CC (I use Windows 10 Home OS):

Firstly, it is a beta software, and is only available for installation through the Adobe Cloud software. You have to install the Adobe Cloud first. Once you open up Adobe Cloud, you can choose to install several items, of which Fuse CC is one of the choices. Click to install. It takes A VERY LONG TIME to download and install, and I have fibre speed internet connection !

The default installation location is C:\drive Program Files 32-bit, and you cannot choice where else to install it. It is a 32-bit software !! Once installed, it does not launch !!

After searching the internet for information on the problem, I found that I must click twice quickly on the Fuse launch icon, then press enter. After rapid-fire button mashing through mouse and keyboard, Fuse CC will launch. Maybe launch two ties. This is a bug and Adobe appears not to be interested to fix this problem.

Once you actually manage to use the character creation system, you can make a clothed figure with hair, then save it as a Fuse format file with textures packed, then upload it to Mixamo website for rigging and animation. Then download it as an FBX file - in my case, this is what I need to use with Poser Pro 11.

I take the FBX file and import it into Poser Pro 11. In the Material Room, you will need to set the Transparency on the Poser Surface to zero value. I also selected reverse Normals. You can adjust the face rig and the eyelashes !! There are morphs in the head part of the eyelash hierarchy and the Body 1 hierarchy. You need to manually adjust the settings to get experssions.

I rendered the animations using Poser Pro 11. No problem.

(I originally posted these notes at my journal on DeviantArt : https://ibr-remote.deviantart.com/journal/Mixamo-Fuse-CC-my-observations-742780808 )

• Back to discussion on AutoDesk's Character Generator. I am a legitimate customer of their service, which has recently become friendlier toward individual non-commercial, non-education users (ie, hobbyist, dabblers and good ol' 3D CG artists).

As a subscriber, I can access the face rigs and higher resolution texture mapping. Now, here is the what I found.

After I generate the FBX figure from AutoDeskCharacter Generator, I want it animated so I send it off to the Adobe Mixamo website for animation. I then download the animated FBX and load up into Poser Pro 11.

The left side of my figure's face is distorted !! Help !! No worries. Just click on the topmost FBX rig inside the Hierarchy window to select that, and ZERO the figure (command is under the Figure dropdown menu). Voila. But that means you need to OMIT frame 1 of your animation from your Movie Render (or else you get this T-posed figure, but the deformed face it cured !).

Before making your animated movie, don't forget to make all the texture filtering to Zero, and add SSS (Subsurface Scattering), to all the FBX rigs you see in the hierachy window. (I omit the eye transparencies, though)

That's all.

(This has also been posted in my journal at DeviantArt.)

• @ibr_remote whoops - typo escaped me: "the deformed face is cured"

• @RobZhena that's because the dual quaternion rigging has only one weight map, not the three of tri-ax rigging. That's why they have the separate, dummy joint for twist, so they can apply a second weight map to the same, original joint. The reduced weight map load is a benefit for low-poly animation regimes like MMD and SFM, but a curse for high-poly detailed close-ups requiring accurate representations of complicated joints with twists like shoulders and buttocks. Just remembering how horrible most of the open mouth expressions in MMD and SFM animations look due to lack of vertices and attention to detail at the corners of the mouths.

• @ibr_remote Thanks for the info. The options for figures to use in Poser has grown quite a bit over the last few years. I'm very interested in Manuel Bastioni figures into Poser, or rigged FBX in general. My attempts with rigged props were not successful and was under the impression that Poser had issues importing Blender-created FBX models. Any thoughts?

• @dcrosby Thanks for your comment.

If the props were unrigged to begin with, I would just import them into Poser Pro 11 and rig them inside using the Setup room (usual caveat to group the polygons etc). That's what I did with the OBJs extracted from Manuel Bastioni Labs. It is quite tiresome to rig the fingers inside Poser but one must persevere !

Meanwhile, I don't have problems with FBX output from Blender3D. It may be something specific to the rig or modelling, if the resultant file doesn't work as expected inside Poser.

• Here are my brief notes (at my DeviantArt journal) a Poser-rigged geometry which had been generated by Manuel Bastioni Labs plug in for Blender 3D.

https://ibr-remote.deviantart.com/art/Rigged-The-Fingers-for-Poser-728844092

• @ibr_remote Oh I see. You had to re-rig in Poser. One thing I didn't consider when importing my prop were the groupings. I might want to group and rig a prop created in Blender with Poser but not a figure. Plenty of figures for Poser already and Bastioni has an interesting IK rig which should continue to improve.

• I cannot recall if I have tried sending the output from blender3D / Manuel Bastioni labs to Adobe Mixamo online to rig and animate... my memory is fuzzy, but it certainly is possible I have done so, but the hand and face rigs are not created.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.