What's One Thing Poser could include in the next version...

• ...That would make Poser easier for a newcomer to use?

Starting off myself. I wish Poser would get rid of that god awful default light set up to start out with. How about doing a light set up for daytime outdoors, nighttime outdoors, and indoors daytime. If not Poser, maybe some vendor could step up. I'm actually surprised at how few lightsets I've actually found to list in the directory.

• I hope not to offend, but given the fact that you can save a "preferred scene" adding a sky dome and light(s), then, simply change the background image...
    Is there still a need for a light setup?

• @fonpaolo Why yes, you can. However, how experienced would most newcomers be in being able to do that? And I'm simply talking about putting together a practice scene for them that's already ready to go.

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849
    A dome, any dome for IDL will do, and a single Infinite light is all you"ll ever need for outdoor scenes.
    So , I am completely "lost" by your question.

And Poser11 comes with a great and very easy adaptable dome in it's default scene.
    I even made 2 video's about it in the Poser2Blender2Poser series.
    So? What's the problem? ? ? ?

• @eclark1849 Well, based on my experience, and I'm not just talking about Poser, the manuals are an unnecessary optional, nowadays...
    If I recall correctly, even in Poser 4 there was a section on how to set up your preferred scene.

• Given that most newcomers plop a nude female into their first scene, it should load with a lightset that made her look good. The default lights are rather meh. They're dated.

My Preferred scene loads with BBs light setup as default. (the one with two spotlights and two boxes. I know the Area Light really has made this one redundant, but I like it) Plus a "LOOKSEE" light to brighten everything up until rendertime.

• @fonpaolo All I'm saying is that newcomers are just that... newcomers. If you've been around since Poser 4 you know how o set up a preferred scene. They don't.

• @eclark1849 ...yes, I understand, however I learned how to do it reading the manual. lol

• Poser Ambassadors

@fonpaolo manuals are essential for new user but even for old user too. Take me as example, I use Poser also since 4
    Basics, lights etc...not a problem, for new user yes.
    But sometimes strange new ideas pop up in my mind and I have no clue how to archive this. The manual help me here already a few times out.
    They can be as PDF offline or online, I don't care. But for me at last manuals are essentials. Woman can not know everything ;) Some help here is always nice .

• @Ladonna We never stop learning... nor we can avoid it. ;)

• Poser Ambassadors

@fonpaolo Yep, and I love to learn new stuff.

1. spherical (equirectangular) camera built-in for VR360 output (with stereo mode options).

2. the option to animate parenting objects (yes, I know about constrains).

3. the ability to work with G3 models without any issues. (people are actually moving to DAZ3D just for that reason alone, and I considered this after 10 years with poser :( ).

• Poser Ambassadors

@gsfcreator The third option is not possible without permission from DAZ.

• @gsfcreator Consider that not all people who use Poser "need" to use DAZ models, in addition to what @Ladonna said.
    It's always the same discussion: they're different applications and if you really need it, you can use Studio.
    I remember someone in Renderosity forum who's been able to create a way to use the "G" family in Poser and I also think this is well known.

• @gsfcreator said in What's One Thing Poser could include in the next version...:

1. the ability to work with G3 models without any issues. (people are actually moving to DAZ3D just for that reason alone, and I considered this after 10 years with poser :( ).

Dude! Seriously!! Is that supposed to be some kind of threat??

• @eclark1849

of course its not a threat.

I just state my honest opinion. I've been using poser since 2008, and I'm the type of user that learns as he goes (I bump into a problem - I google/ask, learn, move forward). it took me countless of hours to learn what I know, and there's still tons that I don't. moving to a new workspace is a very intimidating thought for me.
    I don't create my own content at the moment (models, props, etc). I focus on creating animations and comic-book-like stories, so I always preferred to buy stuff from the people that knows how to create them and focus on what I do know how to do.

the field that I'm creating at is very demanding in terms of the need for change, thus - I bought a new "skin" for almost every project that I created. that makes me a very "good" user for every content maker out there. having G3 working in poser will benefit both smithMicro and Daz, in my humble opinion. more content creators, more $$$$ spend. its good for the vendors, its good for the consumers, it's good for the market. its good for everybody.

having said that, I understand that there are things behind the curtain that I probably don't understand. it's just My heart's wish. I will learn other work-flows, If i have to (as I learn to use octane now, just because I had no native 360-camera option in poser) - But I'd really rather stick with what I know and deepen my knowledge. I know that if something will make me upgrade to the next poser in a blink of an eye - its the things I've stated that I miss in the correct version that I use.

*an apology update: I just saw the "......That would make Poser easier for a newcomer to use?" now. I answered in general and not specific to what you stated.

I guess some in-program video/audio tutorials will be helpful for the newcomers.

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849
    ha-ha-ha-, no Earl what he means is that the "future" SM content creators should at least have looked at a naked woman and man, at least once in their lifetime, before building the new figures. LOL. Then buy a mirror and copy their movements before starting a rigging session.

Posers defaults, and there are many small and larger, are not its biggest drawback.
    It's the content that comes with the app "that needs the big improvement step."

And on the side : New figures "have" to come with enough SM build support equipment "at release time" to sustain the first 6 months after release until the content creators have taken over.

SM needs to do this internally.
    You never figure out how good or bad your OWN figures are until YOU actually start building content for them. => it is during support item building that you discover how strong or weak your figures are, and this needs to be done BEFORE release..

• @vilters SM is a software company. The figures it makes are generally just "demonstration models". DAZ, on the other hand, is a content company. It should be making better models. This was a pretty nifty symbiotic relationship until DAZ changed hands. The main problem, as I see it, is that Poser is just one product that SM puts out, and not even their biggest product. Certainly not one worth changing corporate thinking and strategy over.

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849
    Unfortunately Earl, I know all too well.

One strategy change could be to make all native Poser figures MR, just like they did with Paul and Pauline. (Unfortunately, their worst figures).

What a creative team could do with Rex and Roxie ? ? ? ? Their best meshes. But they are not MR.

• Poser Ambassadors

I learned more about my own figures during the building of hair and clothing then I ever thought possible. It's when building the support items that you discover the strong and the weak points of the mesh, the rigging, and the texture.

You really need to spend some creative months with your own figures before releasing anything. Time the SM content creators never got. (Not their fault).
    It's the system.