Does BB's hair shader slow rendering down?

• @ghostship said in Does BB's hair shader slow rendering down?:

@glossaphile have you reduced the thread count to 4???? LOL

I've answered this question affirmatively twice now. Are you not getting my answers?

• @ghostship Really? I thought an object had to have some influence on how the visible objects look (via reflection, indirect illumination, etc) before it would trigger any calculations.

I'll experiment with a panorama/dome version of my studio arrangement tomorrow. BTW, stunning car render!

• @glossaphile said in Does BB's hair shader slow rendering down?:

@ghostship said in Does BB's hair shader slow rendering down?:

@glossaphile have you reduced the thread count to 4???? LOL

I've answered this question affirmatively twice now. Are you not getting my answers?

Just messing with you.

• @glossaphile The render engine sends rays straight out form each pixel and those rays go until they hit something, make a calculation and bounce to the next object and make another calculation. they will do this till they hit a light source or hit their final bounce number that you set in the render settings. The rays will bounce off stuff that is off camera the same way. Yes, the ideal situation would be a realistic room setup and the rays bouncing off that stuff to give you your final image. But all those bounces and calculations take time and depending how the room props are set up will most likely ad noise that will take further samples to resolve which will ad to your render time. This will be even more important if you don't have a GPU or fast CPU like the situation you are in. The skydome will give you your ambient bounced light from the room even though there is no room there. It will also give you something to reflect on shiny objects in you r scene. Using just a skydome can give you very realistic room lighting and also fill lighting for your studio shots.

• As above @ghostship suggested use EZDome or BB EnvSphere for yours rendering, without the any Environment or sphere render looks bit flat

I still would recommend to use EZDome or EnvSphere and for good source of HDRi I would suggest use this

http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/archive.html

I use like for outdoor or inside HDRi or if I do studio style renders where I use 2 large area lights, in some cases I use 3 point but most of the time 2 point works for me

If yours CPU is 4 thread, then use 4 thread for rendering, don't use 6-8 because it will slow down rendering etc

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

• Poser Ambassadors

I would just like to point out all those suggesting "EZDome or BB EnvSphere" -- the EZDome IS the BBEnvSphere plus some script work to let you directly load sIBL files.

So the simpler suggestion is use BB EnvSphere. If you want to mention sIBL, then EZDome adds something to that statement, otherwise you're just saying BB EnvSphere twice.

• @bagginsbill Yeah, that's what I'm using, your Environment Sphere. I also used your old IBL generator prop to produce a probe of my photo studio scene, which I then opened in HDRShop to convert it into a latitude/longitude panorama that can be applied to the sphere. You're indispensable as always, BB! And Ghostship, again, you've been very helpful as well! I thank both of you.

Test renders coming soon!

• Okay, this first render was done with an actual studio scene, and the second one was done with an environment sphere using a panoramic texture based on that studio scene. The figure, render settings, and light arrangement is the same. Clearly, I need a physical backdrop prop as a shadow catcher, and I'll soon create a higher-resolution panorama for the sphere, but at least for testing purposes, it worked well. As Ghostship predicted, the second version does look slightly smoother.

The second render took about half as long as the second one, though I suspect that most or all of the difference lies in the backdrop, since the character herself didn't seem to render much if at all faster. In a closer-up portrait, where the character takes up a greater proportion of the image relative to the background, the speed advantage would probably decrease noticeably. Has anyone tested this already?

0_1525550146810_Debby12.jpg

0_1525550194884_Debby13.jpg

• @glossaphile another observation: Studio lighting does not produce hard shadows. In a real photo studio there would be giant soft light boxes for lighting. That is what your area lights are for.

0_1525552370290_5-23.jpg

• @ghostship

Stunning render. What figure?

• @Deecey Are you reading my mind Deecey? I was just about to ask the same question. I even like the hair as well.

• @Miss-B

I would say its not render but actual photography of real person, but maybe I'm on this wrong

Her skin looks awesome and hair and flowers too looks great etc

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

• @jura11 If it's not a photo then, well, WOW

• @amethystpendant said in Does BB's hair shader slow rendering down?:

@jura11 If it's not a photo then, well, WOW

Seen few Octane or Redshift renders which you can very hardly distinguish if real or render, in previous work we are used extensively Octane or Redshift

If its render then I'm wrong on that and props to who produced this render

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

• @ghostship Actually, all three of my lights are already area lights, with one softbox fill light.

• @Deecey No this is a photograph that I downloaded off the internet.

• @glossaphile Ok can you post up an image of your light setup in a preview? Something is drastically wrong with your lights and I just have not said anything yet about it till now. My guess is they are too small or too close to your figure.

@glossaphile Ok can you post up an image of your light setup in a preview? Something is drastically wrong with your lights and I just have not said anything yet about it till now. My guess is they are too small or too close to your figure.

Agree with this, I would think so too his or hers area lights are too small or default size at 100%,usually or normally I use size depending on size of figure etc but 500-700% works for me for figure rendering

Thanks, Jura

• @ghostship Do you mean "drastically wrong" as in unrealistic and clearly CGI or as in technically realistic but unlikely for a professional photo shoot? Please keep in mind that I'm not necessarily aiming for something as softly lit as your renders tend to be. My primary goal is to come as close as possible to something that could pass for a photo, even if a poorly or starkly lit one. Heck, if I could render something that looked convincingly like a spontaneous picture taken by a family on vacation, I'd be happy. Once I've clearly accomplished that, then I might turn my focus onto more closely emulating professional light setups.

In any case, here's the arrangement. The smallest light is 50% of default size, made to fit the 3D light fixture prop to which I'd originally parented it.

0_1525569489636_Lighting.jpg

@Deecey No this is a photograph that I downloaded off the internet.

Ohhhhh! You know, I should've realized that since the SuperFly Render tag is missing.