Firefly - Can't figure out how to light indoor scene with outdoor light.

• I'm trying to get a scene of a living room lit by one infinite light with IDL with FireFly. I'm using Poser 11.

Here is my current progress which is horrible:

alt text

I'm trying to get something that looks like this:
    alt text
    https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/jade-lounge/126019/

• @zazop When you ask for help, it helps us, help you, if we can see what you're trying to do.

• a single light?? need at least two one with shadows on one with shadows off...I believe.

• @zazop a Firefly render is not going to look like a Superfly render which is what you have posted. You need to render in Superfly for the results you posted in picture #2.

• @ghostship said in Firefly - Can't figure out how to light indoor scene with outdoor light.:

@zazop a Firefly render is not going to look like a Superfly render which is what you have posted. You need to render in Superfly for the results you posted in picture #2.

Superfly is too complicated and confusing. The render times are way too long. I only have an i7-2600k processor. All my renders are just grainy garbage when I use superfly.

• @zazop The blotches that Firefly renders all over the walls can only really be cleared up by switching off irradiance caching iirc which means you will be in the same ballpark of render times. You might try opening up the wall that is behind the camera and letting in light from the skydome.

• @zazop if you check out this thread and it's discussion about speeding up SuperFly renders, it may help. I've known for a while that I wasn't getting the best performance out of my render settings, since I always want to use Caustics and Depth of Field, but my iMac has an AMD GPU, which is unsupported for GPU rendering in Poser and I just kept plugging bigger and bigger numbers in to deal with volumetric transparencies in my scenes. It came as a surprise to me, when I followed the test of comparing render times of the default Andy2 scene and just varying one number (bucket size) that the sweet spot for my system happened to be the default 64, not the 256 recommended for GPU or the 16 that some PC users have found best. I also found it helpful with the explanation that the numbers on the Branched Path Tracing side of the Render Settings get multiplied by the square of the Pixel Samples number, in assessing how big to make the values so that comparisons without branch path tracing were valid and not comparing whales to zucchini.

• Poser Ambassadors

How many raytrace bounces did you use in Firefly IDL? I'd try three or four. That would help even out the light.

That said, I'll also advise going with Superfly for that sort of render.

• The sun needs to be much brighter, this is why it's so dark in the room. Also, I recommend tone mapping to be turned on.

Once you have the overall brightness dialled in, try increasing "indirect light quality" to get rid of the splotches (at the expense of longer renders).

• @stefan

I'm trying to learn more about tone mapping and poser. I'm not sure what settings to set and I don't even understand what it does. I'm looking for comparison images and through a comparison I can learn what tone mapping is.

• Poser Ambassadors

Oh, dear, this has been a long time ago, but I remember a post from BB at rendero where he put the "external" light to intensity 5.000 or so to get the light inside to diffuse properly.

• I'm rendering on this sorry excuse for a computer. With an AMD card. And Superfly. Yes, it takes time, but the result is SO worth the wait. Besides .. Firefly tends to stall halfway without even finishing the render. Superfly may take longer, but at least it finishes.
    0_1526393471213_f0e34c9c-7cac-4a85-b963-9e2652b892d7-image.png

• I've had some success in the past faking ambient light by putting a point light in the same location as the camera(shadows off) and adjusting intensity until it 'feels right' for the scene...Start very low intensity, test render, wash rinse repeat ...

• @JAFO point lights are not a good substitute for area lights or mesh lights. They just don't throw out the same kind of light.

• Hi there

As above guys said,this second render has been rendered with SuperFly,SuperFly is lot better in archviz or interior rendering than FireFly

But back to FireFly,you need at least two lights,usually I use one infinite light with shadows enabled with high intensity and second infinite light with shadows turned off,I usually add another light point light inside the room,in this render I rendered in Poser 11 with FireFly,there I used several lights

alt text

@ghostship above render has been rendered with FireFly and IDL enabled,personally I prefer to render with IDL like interior or exterior,my render settings are pretty normal

alt text

If I do interior renders I use only SuperFly,its easier to render for myself and render times are pretty reasonable but with yours PC,hard to say,I would invest money to better GPU if its possible GTX1070 or 1070Ti are great cards,but older GTX980Ti is good choice as well,but I would personally hold on with purchasing new cards,Nvidia will be releasing new cards sometimes this year,I would suspect sometimes in summer

@trekkiegrrrl

Yours CPU is older,upgrade would help you with faster render times,something like Ryzen 2600/2700 would be perfect choice

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

• And here is same scene rendered in SuperFly

alt text

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

• @jura11

How long did the firefly render take vs the superfly render? :)

• @zazop said in Firefly - Can't figure out how to light indoor scene with outdoor light.:

@jura11

How long did the firefly render take vs the superfly render? :)

Hi there

Firefly render took around 12-15 minutes what I can see from log,first render took me 15 minutes as I didn't enabled Use Own Process which in my case lower render times and second FireFly render took me 12 minutes

SuperFly render took me I think around 30 minutes and rendered up to 60 samples that's with 3 GPUs(GTX1080Ti,2x GTX1080),usually interior renders which I posted over on this forum take me up to 45-60 minutes,longest render is in 1 hour and 30 minutes but these scenes are my biggest and more complex

Hope this helps there

Thanks,Jura