How do you use Poser's Queue Manager?

• All this talk about render Farms in another thread now has me wondering what good is Queue Manager for average Poser User?

• It can be handy, even if you do not have another computer. You can start the queue manager and pause it, then send scenes to it for rendering, and then start it up at night etc and let it run. Of course if you have another computer, you can send scenes to it and render while you continue working.
    Bill

• Poser Ambassadors

The obvious case would be if you have more than one computer and you're rendering an animation; Queue will send one frame to each machine, and as they finish their assigned frame, the master machine (the one running Poser 11 Pro) will send them the next frame.

Even if you only have one computer, Queue is handy for running a batch list of promo renders. Viewing through the pose cam, send the render to Queue. Switch to the face cam, and send the render to Queue. Switch renderer from Firefly to Superfly, and send the render to Queue. On and on, as quickly as you can switch views. So you accumulate a batch list of eight render jobs, then you can go to bed, and your 'puter will work through the list overnight.

Another advantage to sending a render to Queue is that you can work on the Poser scene in the meantime, or even change to another scene, and Queue will work on the queued render all the while.

Now, that being said, be aware that only Poser 11 Pro has Queue Manager. "Regular" P11 does not.

If you bought P11Pro, you got a Poser 11 Pro serial number, and also a Queue Manager serial number.
    Your workstation (aka "master") will have Queue activated when you activate Poser Pro.

If you have any extra machines (Win7 or later for Queue 11) available connected to the same router as your workstation, you install and run DLM on each slave/drone/remote/rendercow. Insert the Queue Manager serial (not the Poser Pro serial) into each remote's DLM; it will offer the latest available version of Queue Manager to install on the remote.

Note: the latest version of only Queue is 11.0.8.34338, and the build number of the master and all remotes must match for them to work together. That is why my workstation Urania is still on build 34338; because all of my servers are on 34338.
    This was just a glitch, and normally both Poser Pro and Queue-only updates come out at the same time.

Once you have Queue installed on the remotes, launch Queue, and enter the Queue serial.

Watch for firewall popups! Queue must have permissions both in and out, so that it can communicate with the master machine.

If you have Queue open on the master, you should see repeating entries in each remote's Queue of "discovery query from 192.168.1.100". That indicates that the remote can "see" the master.

The master's Queue should show notices of "available message from 192.168.1.133" from each remote which has Queue open. That indicates that the master can "see" the remote.

When you send a job off to Queue, there may be a noticeable delay, while the master's Queue creates a scene file, etc, then you'll see a flurry of entries scrolling in the Queue UI as it accepts availability from a remote and begins sending OBJs, JPGs, etc.

Here's an example of what the master's Queue might show:
    0_1526405952474_Queue remote available 2.PNG

That will scroll by in the bottom of the Queue UI:
    0_1526406423975_Queue  - cancel is greyed out.PNG

• @seachnasaigh Thanks for the reply. Ive been using Poser Pro for a while now, at least since Poser 9, and I've never used the Queue Manager. I always thought it was just for people who used Render farms.

• Poser Ambassadors

Yep, Queue is great for running batch lists, too. Add a bunch of test renders or promo renders for a new product to the Queue, then you can walk away. :D

If you have a second machine, you can put it to use. You can even set the master's Queue to not process jobs locally, and all of the queued jobs will go to the remote(s), leaving your primary machine unburdened. :D

• @seachnasaigh Do you think it possible that copying the QM 11.1.0.34764 that gets installed along with Poser Pro 11.1.0.34764 to a render node will allow that node to work with the latest Poser? Assuming one had previously installed an older QM on that node? Rather than through SMDM, which doesn't offer the latest version of QM?

• Poser Ambassadors

@anomalaus Good idea, and I tried it, but it didn't work. Something else must also need to be changed, or perhaps I simply screwed it up.

• @seachnasaigh So, I if I had my main machine, and purchased three drone towers, I can bust an animation (lets say 1500 frames) so that Drone 1 does 1-499, drone 2 does 500 through 999 and drone 3 does 1000 through 1500....and still be able to use my main PC?

Also, Where does the final product end up for viewing?

Render farm cost vs upgrade to Pro and buying some "Drone towers" needs to be weighed.

• Poser Ambassadors

@BikerNerd You could do that, by sending three "jobs" to Queue, but I would recommend sending the entire animation to Queue, and Queue will send frames to each drones one at a time. As a drone finishes its frame and returns it, Queue sends it the next frame on the list, and so on until the animation is finished.

You'll want to set the master's Queue to not process jobs locally; that will send all frames to drones, leaving your workstation unburdened.
    0_1526504153771_QM set to not process locally.png
    Finished frames go into what folder you specify when you send the animation to Queue. If you name the output Biker.png, then the frames will show as Biker_0001.png, etc.

Towers aren't the only option. Server blades will generally be cheaper than a tower equipped with the same processors and memory. Blades will also use less electricity (no GPU, etc), and take up less space. With three blades, you can simply stack them (you don't need a rack); here are Polyhymnia, Miranda, and Cassiopeia:
    0_1526505806725_Polyhymnia Cassiopeia Miranda 1200x660.jpg
    They are Dell C1100 chassis; each has two X5675 Xeon processors (HyperThreaded hex core @ 3.06GHz) and 48GB RAM, so each of those blade servers runs twenty four render threads at 3.06GHz. They cost $325 each as "refurbs".

The KVM (keyboard, video, mouse) switchbox lets you use a single keyboard, monitor, and mouse for all three blades.

• I was wondering, if it doesn't work copying over the up to date qm, would it be possible to simply install the latest version of poser pro and then delete poser and leave qm? Or maybe just leave poser on the machine and never use it if disk space isn't an issue.

(I have poser installed on both machines I use so not having any problems.)

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.