Advice Sought On Selling Poser Content

• Hello folks,

I'm looking for some advice on selling 'stuff' I've made... everything from how to package it to where to sell it and how really, as I've never done it before.

Firstly, I've made a Smok QBox, which is a vape mod. It's reasonable, but it does have all the realistic trademarks etc, which I'll change prior to selling. It also uses EZMetals for the tank, which some folks seem to have a problem with. The other thing is that I need a good but simple liquid shader for the liquid in it, as the one it uses right now is cumbersome to render.

I'm wondering whether selling this item without trademarks, then giving away a free 'update' with the proper textures would be legal or not? I mean, I was toying with the idea of making this a freebie in its entirety, but I'm thinking I'll be making a lot more vaping stuff, so might well be better off building up the collection and then selling it off as a bundle, what do you think?

I'm also in the process of making a different vape mod called a Uwell Nunchaku, which is bigger. Again, I'm of the mind to initially make it with all of the correct markings, then alter them for the version I'm to sell.

I've attached a render of Annie playing with the QBox, as well as some screenies of it and the current WIP Nunchaku from the 3D software. Also included, for reference, are images of their real life counterparts.

Please let me know what you think, from what you can see, and what, if any, advice you have, especially legal. I don't even know how to pack the things, lol!

Cheers.

P.S. The QBox will be one object, I think, whereas the Nunchaku will be multiple objects which will fit together (tank dismantles, battery comes out etc). Oh, also, if anyone can tell me how to create a material for the rainbow coloured Nunchaku, please fire away! :)

0_1527107573460_Smok_QBOX_50W_Mini_Starter_Kit._Bottom.jpg

0_1527107404867_Vaping 001.png

0_1527107448448_QBox.jpg

0_1527107464320_QBoxBottom.jpg

0_1527107726707_02e1c8aa886e9630b5f6ee77f1c8f8bb-image.jpg

0_1527107488216_Untitled-1.jpg

• I think I've seen vape equipment in store or in the freebie sections before. So first step is to do a search in all the major stores and see what there is. If there's an item very similar to yours, you're not likely to sell many. You can also see how many downloads / views they have to get an idea of how popular such a product would be.

Textures: Poser can do metals and colourful metals procedural and they will always work - you can look under Poser under the Basic Materials there's a fantasy materials section - just play around there, you'll see how to do it. Your other option is to make the texture in any graphics programme and apply it to Poser as a 2D image map. However, if you want it to also work in Daz Studio then you have to create external textures and apply them to Poser.

You can't sell the trade marks without permission and I wouldn't offer the trade marks even as a free download. Also keep in mind with an international audience, we don't have the same products. So we might not know it's a trade mark and use the work unwittingly (people don't necessarily read the descriptions either). The actual design of the product might be copyright too - so your product cannot look exactly like that one either.

The different parts - only do that if it serves a purpose - it's a lot of extra work and effort with very little benefit.

Packaging - just download any similar Poser product - freebie or purchased and you can see how it is packaged. Keep in mind that your geometry and textures need to have unique names.

You're probably asking too much info in one go. I'd say work in steps - and then ask questions as you need them - if you need help on texturing - then ask that in its own thread. If you need help on packaging then ask for specific help on that etc.

• Packaging anything for Poser is fairly easy. Be it free stuff or for sale, always pack it properly.

I know many people unzip to a dummy folder first and then move things in place ... but many, myself included, do not. And there's nothing more irritating than having stuff end up wrong.

Of course, things for sale MUST have a proper Runtime structure, meaning that anything in the zip should start with a folder named Runtime. Not your name, not the name of the item, but simply Runtime. In there should be folders for geometries, libraries/Props and textures.

You can, as it has been said, download some free stuff to see how it's packaged. My stuff is all packaged with the correct Runtime structure if you'd like to take a peep ;)

Great idea with vaping gear. I hadn't even thought of making that asnd I've been vaping for 3 years or more L

Are you making smoke/vapour to go with it? Now THAT I'd buy :D

• Thanks for the info!

GHASP! TREKKIEGRRRL!!!!! :O I've been a fan for years, how are you? Lol, didn't even realise you were on here!

Well, I've been vaping since around September and I love it. I started out on the QBox and then went onto other things. I started dripping and squonking but couldn't get into it, so I've gone back to a tank with the Nunchaku and it's the best thing ever!

Hmmm... I wonder how I would go about making vapour clouds... I mean, what I've done with renders so far is work it out in Photoshop with the help of a little atmospheric haze in Poser, if needed. It could be interesting though.

The reason I made the QBox was because I looked for vaping gear which was more realistic and not just generic. I only found one set and it was a bit of a bodge, at best. It didn't inspire me to buy it and it definitely wouldn't have inspired me to use it in my work.

I've got other mods and stuff in mind too, such as a squonk mod, maybe a mech, a few RDAs etc, so it could turn into quite a collection. A charger, a few different sizes of bottles for the liquids and some RDA tools like wire brush, small scissors, ceramic tweezers etc would also come in handy with the kit, I think. I wouldn't be comfortable releasing anything half-arsed like just a vape mod and tank but no liquid bottles or battery charger. If someone wants to tell a story with their work, they might need the complete kit, so I'd prefer to make the complete kit. :)

I've made models and things before, that's not an issue for me, usually, but I've never sold anything, so it's all new and exciting, lol!

• By the way, I've done some more! The 3D software isn't very good at presenting a nice image, so it looks a bit rough, but Poser can sort it out when it gets hold of it, lol! With the threads, I might end up using displacement maps, if I can get them looking right. I want it able to come apart like this for versatility.

0_1527116171073_Untitled-3.jpg 0_1527116178296_Untitled-4.jpg
    0_1527116186984_Untitled-2.jpg

• Poser Ambassadors

Attention to polycount.

These small props can get really out of hand in polygon count, while in real life they are very small, and even a LOT smaller in a render.
    Model in rather low poly and use Bump, Displacement and /or Normal map to get the details in.

Don't overdo the detailing, "on screen" is will be 1 cm maximum (about half n inch or so) in a render.

best regards, Tony

• Or make two versions. One detailed for close-ups (some of is just LOVE details ;) ) and a less detailed one for when it won't be seen in detail anyway.

As for Vaping, I haven't progressed beyond a rather basic Aspire/Vision combo. But it works for me. Easy to carry, not too bulky and since I secretly ...er .. puff a bit while at work, I don't want my whole train to disappear in smoke clouds (or set off the smoke alarm .. so far THAT has only happened once XD )

But Vaping is great for when you want your daily nicotine fix and NOT smell like an ashtray ;)

• @Glen85 said in Advice Sought On Selling Poser Content:

Thanks for the info!

GHASP! TREKKIEGRRRL!!!!! :O I've been a fan for years, how are you? Lol, didn't even realise you were on here!

Oh and (blush) I'm fine. Recently got back into Poser after a hiatus that lasted a couple of years ...

Sooo there are new freebies on my site ;)

• Cheers, yeah, I'm going mad on details right now and will test it at its worst (best?) then fix it if it gets too silly.

I've done some more and got it to a point where I wanted to test materials on it in Poser, so it's going through a few close-up renders at the moment.

In the meantime, here are some more WIP screenies.

I vape with nic a fair amount but have gone for a week with nic free liquid, so it was just like flavoured disco smoke. I've also started vaping CBD for my meltdowns and it kind of works... takes the edge off my nerves but, if I'm in a bad mood, it makes me depressed as opposed to angry, so swings and roundabouts really.

I'll check your site out again, thanks Trekkiegrrrl!

4_1527131562091_Untitled-9.jpg 3_1527131562091_Untitled-8.jpg 2_1527131562091_Untitled-7.jpg 1_1527131562091_Untitled-6.jpg 0_1527131562090_Untitled-5.jpg

• I've used the EZMetals materials for the metal parts and I'm thinking they're hogging my resources somewhat, as I tried a full render with blank materials and it didn't take long, but this has taken nearly an hour so far and it is lagging on the brass area, so I'll be looking for a good brass and aluminium material to begin with, as well as some good materials for the different coloured parts which I believe all have a horizontally brushed finish, though I can't be sure if that's the case, as I have the full black one, which is horizontally brushed, but others look much more brilliantly polished. My local vape lounge has all colours in stock, so they may be able to show me.

Either way, the preview renders look nice so far and, as I said, it's rendering reasonably, even with a decent sized polycount, though I am mindful that it is an empty scene otherwise. This is what testing is all about. :)

I'm thinking that the metal 'cage' inside the tank (black on mine) would be best done using trans and displacement maps; the trans map 'hole' could be fractionally smaller than the displacement, which will be negative to create an indentation, giving the 'cage' the appearance of thickness. This is all in my head at the moment, however, as I've made no maps or anything yet.

Anyway, it's nearly five in the morning... I'd best do that 'sleep' thing, I suppose, lol!

1_1527133696984_picture093.jpg 0_1527133696983_picture092.jpg

• http://www.sharecg.com/v/90306/browse/11/Poser/Props

https://www.daz3d.com/vapor-pens-and-hooka

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models?keywords=e-cigarette

No, Poser can't sort out rough details very well. It can sub-divide the entire prop but then it applies it equally to all parts of the prop so it's likely to be distorted. Switching things on like smooth polygons etc. impacts everything in the scene so don't count on anyone being able / willing to switch that on.

• One question: Which Poser version do you have? I assume you're using Firefly materials? (for whatever reason, I don't seem to have EZ Metals ... where can I get those?!)

After I got used to Superfly, I never use Firefly, but displacement and such doesn't work "properly" in Superfly, so ... you should, if possible, make a version for each.

• Oh and as for selling stuff that exists for free ... I've seen a few of my old freebies (well not the exact same of course) for sale. So clearly it IS possible to sell things that has been out there for free. Recently someone made and sold a jukebox. Well, I've had that one for years and years ;)

So don't let that discourage you :)

• @trekkiegrrrl I think EZMetals is at Basicwiz's Poser Orphans site: http://orphans.basicwiz.com/

Unfortunately I can't check because my employer's Internet filter thinks the site contains references to Alcohol & Tobacco - which it doesn't - and I'm not sure why that would be forbidden anyway... :(

Because EZMetals (and any other metal shader worth its salt) use reflection, they can be slow to render if they occupy a large proportion of the render. I have no problem with them for details such as jewellery.

• @Glen85 this might make you laugh. I've just recently begun 3D printing, including Poser models, and before I'd read through your entire post, or even seen your second image, I though "Ooh, I've just read about people using Acetone vapour to smooth 3D printed models made with ABS plastic. Maybe I'll learn more new things here!"... Just, ..., no.

Even if a lung full of acetone vapour didn't kill you, I'm sure the vaping filament could possibly ignite the vapour, and then you'd have "The last vape you'll ever need! TM" ;-)

[I'll just see myself out, then. OK?]...

• I can highly recommend Hivewire3d.com. The people there are helpful, friendly and fantastic! The quality assurance team makes sure that all products are ready before they go on sale.0

• I'm using PP2014 almost exclusively, but I do have 11 (I don't like it and don't use it often, long story but I hate most of the major UI changes and can't get a workflow going). I don't like Daz for the same reasons, I've been a Poser user for decades and am stuck in my ways with it now, I even struggle to use Blender, C4D, Maya and 3DS Max, I can't stand the changes to things. I felt the same the first time I got into a car with automatic shut-off and a push button start which needed me to dip the clutch before starting it... ARRRGH!!!! GIMME THE OLD ONE BACK!!! I quit a courier job a few years ago because they got new vans and I hated them. Yeah, I'm not too good with change... ASD ALERT!!! XD

Anyway, if I'm to make this a saleable item, I'll be sure to include everyone except Daz users because... I'm not even going to get into it here, lol! They have everything, they don't need my vape gear! :P

Went off on a tangent there a bit... two hours of sleep in over 24... brain fade!

So, PP2014.

Yes, that's the right place for EZMetals.

I'm not sure what you mean by selling things that were free, maybe I'm just too tired.

I'd vape it!!! Pretty sure the throat hit would be bothersome though, lol!

I've heard of Hivewire, yes, I'll give them a look. I'm sure I've bought stuff from there!

Right, half eight bed time! I feel like a schoolboy again, lol!

• @Glen85 said in Advice Sought On Selling Poser Content:

I'm using PP2014 almost exclusively, but I do have 11 (I don't like it and don't use it often, long story but I hate most of the major UI changes and can't get a workflow going). I don't like Daz for the same reasons, I've been a Poser user for decades and am stuck in my ways with it now, I even struggle to use Blender, C4D, Maya and 3DS Max, I can't stand the changes to things. I felt the same the first time I got into a car with automatic shut-off and a push button start which needed me to dip the clutch before starting it... ARRRGH!!!! GIMME THE OLD ONE BACK!!! I quit a courier job a few years ago because they got new vans and I hated them. Yeah, I'm not too good with change... ASD ALERT!!! XD

Anyway, if I'm to make this a saleable item, I'll be sure to include everyone except Daz users because... I'm not even going to get into it here, lol! They have everything, they don't need my vape gear! :P

Went off on a tangent there a bit... two hours of sleep in over 24... brain fade!

So, PP2014.

Yes, that's the right place for EZMetals.

I'm not sure what you mean by selling things that were free, maybe I'm just too tired.

I'd vape it!!! Pretty sure the throat hit would be bothersome though, lol!

I've heard of Hivewire, yes, I'll give them a look. I'm sure I've bought stuff from there!

Right, half eight bed time! I feel like a schoolboy again, lol!

I was kinda busy when I wrote it :) On my way to work. So it might have come out a bit garbled.

What I meant was: Just because someone made something similar for free doesn't mean you can't sell your version of it :)

• Oh, I see! Well, yeah, those kits are all mouth to lung ones, unless you look at high-end 3D content not specific to Poser, in which case, why would anyone make anything for Poser? Everything has been made before, lol!

I still can't flippin' sleep, lol!

• @englishbob said in Advice Sought On Selling Poser Content:

@trekkiegrrrl I think EZMetals is at Basicwiz's Poser Orphans site: http://orphans.basicwiz.com/

Unfortunately I can't check because my employer's Internet filter thinks the site contains references to Alcohol & Tobacco - which it doesn't - and I'm not sure why that would be forbidden anyway... :(

Because EZMetals (and any other metal shader worth its salt) use reflection, they can be slow to render if they occupy a large proportion of the render. I have no problem with them for details such as jewellery.

It is there. There is also a download link for it in my directory under Python Scripts.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.