Is there an easy way to use motion blur like speed lines to indicate movement in a Poser still image?

• I haven't found a way in Poser to create the illusion of something moving fast by having a motion blur behind it--say, a picture of a speeding car. I know how to create motion blur using the render settings with a simple animation, so I know I could make two images, one for the motion blur and one for the still image, and combine them in Photoshop. But I"m wondering: is there a simpler way to get the effect in Poser?

• Poser Ambassadors

There are 2 ways
    The simple way is to render and image and then do Render! MotionBlur document. But you have no control of you do that
    Second way is to set the scene, then in the next frame move the items you want motion blur for to a new position, then turn on motion blur in the render section and render frame 1

• @wimvdb Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried both techniques. When I do the second, I only get the blur--I don't get anything recognizable at either end of the blur.

Hmm. Maybe I made my start and end points too far apart. I'll try it again putting them much closer together.

• Poser Ambassadors

@willshetterly said in Is there an easy way to use motion blur like speed lines to indicate movement in a Poser still image?:

@wimvdb Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried both techniques. When I do the second, I only get the blur--I don't get anything recognizable at either end of the blur.

Hmm. Maybe I made my start and end points too far apart. I'll try it again putting them much closer together.

Think of it in real time. 30 frames is 1 second. In firefly you can set the shutter time, but i am not sure if that works in superfly too. The shutter time tells you the time and consequently the number of frames which are being averaged.
    If the blur is too large, make the distance smaller

0_1467149050724_fear.jpg

This is an older image. Blur for the cars should have been lower , so less distance moved

• @wimvdb I love what you did there, but I'm after something a little different. I'd like the object at the end of the motion to be distinct, the way you'll sometimes see speeding things presented in comic books. I did a very quick composition in Photoshop that has something like the effect I'm after, though it looks more like shadows than speed lines right now:

0_1467150636189_3.jpg

I suspect I'll find a good use for what you pointed out too. Thanks!

• A quick google brought up this image, which is more like what I'm hoping for:alt text

• Poser Ambassadors

Ok, that type of motion blur does not work in Poser (or other render engines I have used). The object is sharp and leaves a trail. Not sure how to do that without postwork

• @wimvdb If this was pure Cycles in Blender, I'd suggest using render layering. i don't know if Superfly or Poser is capable of that though.

• @wimvdb Hey Wim, what dress is that?

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849 said in Is there an easy way to use motion blur like speed lines to indicate movement in a Poser still image?:

@wimvdb Hey Wim, what dress is that?

Drawstring shirt (dynamic) from whimsysmile/frequency at Rendo

• The google image posted has been post worked. It is not generating 'speed lines' because if it was, the lights would also be leaving trails. Further, you can see the point at which the image has been extended where the kerb line curves behind the rear wheels. True motion blur would not look like that.
    To have the subject stay sharp and the background blur in Poser you need to understand that motion blur blurs what is moving in the scene. Unfortunately it is NOT what is moving in the frame.
    For example, if you parent a camera to a car and move the car a distance in the last frame so that the car remains frozen in frame but the background moves, the render will still blur the car (because it was the car that moved).
    To keep the car sharp, you have to leave the car in the same XYZ space for the full animation and MOVE THE BACKGROUND.
    Fortunately I have street scene where I've grouped the houses, road trees... I put a car down on the street, set the camera to a suitably dramatic perspective, then at frame 30 I moved the STREET 15m on the X axis (the direction the car was facing) and rendered. Don't forget to spin the wheels on the car!
    BTW, 15m is roughly the distance a car travelling at the speed limit will cover in the 1 second the 30 frames represent.
    Image below.
    alt text

If you want the 'light trails' out the back, I think the only way is to spawn a prop of the lights move them with the street at frame 30.

• @willshetterly said in Is there an easy way to use motion blur like speed lines to indicate movement in a Poser still image?:

A quick google brought up this image, which is more like what I'm hoping for:alt text

To me the motion blur on that image is not the car, but the background - the colours of the lines to the left of the car don't match the car at all, do they ? To get something similar in Poser I'd guess you'd parent a dolly camera to the car and move the car. Or have a fixed car and camera and move the background.

(edit: just seen that somebody already said that! :) )

• Just wanted to say I'm really appreciating the suggestions here. I hope to be experimenting with them soon.

• Poser Ambassadors

There is a photographic technique called 'second curtain sync' where a long exposure is combined with a flash that fires just before the shutter closes. This can give the effect of a motion trail leading to a sharp moving subject. I have no idea if it's possible to replicate the technique in 3d, but thought it may be of interest.

• @caisson This example of second curtain flash is very close to what I'd love Poser to do natively:alt text

• Poser Ambassadors

I don't know of any way to do it inside Poser; combining renders in an image editor is all I can think of unfortunately ...

• Poser Ambassadors

Put two copies of the prop in the scene, one stationary (but with wheels spinning) and the other moving into alignment with the stationary one.

• Poser Ambassadors

I just tried it (really low render settings)

Seems workable. There's a shadow problem, though. Not sure if Poser motion blurs shadows.

0_1467223337848_blur snap.jpg

• @bagginsbill Sweet! I'm pretty sure it's possible to turn off shadows on the copy creating the blur.

ETA: Oh, I see. Ideally there would be a blurred shadow, too. But not having one doesn't bother me.

• alt text

There are a few other ways to do this in Poser.
    There not native so to speak, but you can pull it off.

Let me explain how to do it two ways, and give you a file as an example of one of them.
    Download and save this image somewhere, Poser will ask you for this file when you load the scene.

alt text

Here is an example scene, there are a few ways to do the floor.
    The image with the Tesla appears to have a plane for the ground.
    Depending on how you want the road to look, depends on how you approach that.

0_1467252310631_Blur.zip.txt
    Rename it, drop the txt part. The box in the scene, is the stand in for the car.
    Add your car, and put it where the box is, scale it to match the image, etc.
    I did not add an environment, add one so the car has something to reflect.

Each of the figures in this scene are high res squares converted to figures, each with 2 bones.
    Adding 2 bones you to modify the scaling of the new figure.
    You can edit the weight map, and change where the picture is stretched, giving the illusion of the motion blur.
    Obviously you will need whatever picture you want to use, and modify both the scale of the image and the scale map accordingly.
    You could even make a more complex figure that just used one map, and wont have seams to touch up.
    If you make a better figure, there will not be any post work needed with this method

alt text

You can do this one with a simple plane, but you have to render it at least twice.
    Take the first render into your graphics program and make a duplicate layer, then removes all but what you want to blur from the Blur layer.
    The use motion blur to make that effect.
    Make new layer from that, and make a trans map for the blur plane.
    Add a plane and position it in the right spot with the blur and tans map.
    Render it again, and mix the final two renders as layers in your paint program.
    Add another layer and add the rear shadow behind the truck.

Both of these techniques can be used to do a lot different types of blur.

To get the shadows like BB was talking about, you can a render movie to images, then use each render as a layer in the final image.
    Mix the layers to get the final output. Alternately, you can use a plane the same way you do the second one.