What makes a model "high poly"???

• What determines a polycount anyway? Vertices, tris, or faces? What's the right number of polys for a model? I've been making some props that aren't very high poly, a soda can, a bag of chips. But when I finish the set I'm working on, I don't want the full set to choke Poser. How much can Poser handle before it chokes to death?

• @eclark1849

What determines a polycount anyway? Vertices, tris, or faces?

Quad faces is a good indicator. I define polygons as a quad face which is 4 verts, 1 face, 2 tris.

For props I consider 500-2000 polygons to be low poly. For a soda can or bag of chips around 500-1000 polygons .

For humanoid figures I consider 5000 polygons to be low poly.

V4 is around 100,000 polygons for example.

I've seen some people design hair that has over 300,000 polygons which is too much.

• @eclark1849 said in What makes a model "high poly"???:

What determines a polycount anyway? Vertices, tris, or faces? What's the right number of polys for a model? I've been making some props that aren't very high poly, a soda can, a bag of chips. But when I finish the set I'm working on, I don't want the full set to choke Poser. How much can Poser handle before it chokes to death?

Poser can handle quite high poly counts. But the end user's computer might choke.

But it becomes sluggish and hard to manoeuvre if there's too many polys. I don't know how many is too many, but I doubt a couple of props will kill anything.

I always make my own models as lightweight as possible, but it's a tradeoff between morphability (if the prop has morphs, like many of mine does, because it's FUN to see something move ;) ) and polycount.

My closed beer can, just for comparison:
    0_1527552574275_f2d15d65-8113-47e4-a954-832fea799bea-image.png

Remember that Poser has the ability to subdivide and make things look much smoother than they really are.

• @trekkiegrrrl said in What makes a model "high poly"???:

@eclark1849 said in What makes a model "high poly"???:

What determines a polycount anyway? Vertices, tris, or faces? What's the right number of polys for a model? I've been making some props that aren't very high poly, a soda can, a bag of chips. But when I finish the set I'm working on, I don't want the full set to choke Poser. How much can Poser handle before it chokes to death?

Poser can handle quite high poly counts. But the end user's computer might choke.

But it becomes sluggish and hard to manoeuvre if there's too many polys. I don't know how many is too many, but I doubt a couple of props will kill anything.

I'm making a Supermarket. There's a thread over at Hivewire, that explains what I'm shooting for.

https://community.hivewire3d.com/threads/dawn-goes-shopping.2930/

I'm starting out with the props as low poly as I can, but I'm still going to have to populate those shelves somehow.

• one thought is to build shelves with smart propped food that can be loaded individually. (a shelf and food on it not each item) If they load in place in the store, you only need to load the aisles you want showing.
    0_1527560316053_57 An old aquaintance.jpg
    I have a whole store here, but only a small section has food.

Something else you can think about is when you get to boxed goods, have one or 2 separate boxes and one large cube textured to look like many boxes all close together. Keep in mind that you need to allow for food to be removed from the shelf and have gaps so the large box wouldn't fit the whole shelf.

• Marvelous, as it is, to wander through a virtual environment in real-time, while composing a scene, Poser's UI lag can be frustrating. However, there are a few mechanisms available to partially compensate for that.

Since climbing on the dynamic strand hair bandwagon recently, I have to concur with @bagginsbill 's assessment, that Poser's OpenGL preview is no substitute for an actual raytraced render, for which we have the raytrace preview to assist. In which case, unless one is posing items which require alignment of render/raytrace-visible-only procedural textures, as I frequently do, changing the display mode to lit wireframe, hidden line, wireframe, or even outline, delivers a much more responsive UI experience. These modes, especially lit wireframe, even deliver useful views when a scene is lit only by an environment sphere, and has no preview-active light sources until rendered.

Parenting groups of figures and props in different areas of a scene to grouping objects, enables a single visibility toggle to hide multiple objects for improved performance while positioning the camera. Having a single value parameter controlling the visibility of multiple dynamic strand hair props on a figure's actors also gives a quick speed boost by hiding populated, high-poly hair (whose Show Populated flag is unfortunately still not animatable, though it is accessible to Python scripts), until it's time to render the scene.

• One thing to make sure you do, as you are having multiples of the same item (unless it is a very small shop with no stock) is to reference the obj file not have the prop file store the vert info. Although it might be tempting to create one can and have multiple morphs for different sizes etc this would bloat the pz file, either scale or have separate obj files for the different items.

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849 said in What makes a model "high poly"???:

High/low polycount is a relative term.
    For a given model, I would call it low poly if it has near the minimum number of polys needed to define the shape. But some shapes will need a lot more polys than others.
    0_1527584639425_Goin' my way Sis - remat 1200x750.jpg
    Those wagon wheels are a lot of polys; simple spokes would be much lower poly count. But those flower petal spokes are poly-efficient, in that they have only enough polys to retain the intended shape.

Nowadays, my models are still poly-efficient, but they have somewhat more polys because I generally include control edges in a model, so that it retains its shape when subdivided.

As @trekkiegrrrl said, Poser can handle a lot; the limiting factor will be the amount of RAM in the user's computer. I've done test shots of that Lothlorien enviro playset with six dressed dolls and the trees, spiral stairs, furniture, etc. and that runs 2.5~3 million polys. Not a problem.
    If I tried it on an 8GB laptop, it would be a problem. I would estimate that you'd need a 16GB machine to use a loaded Lothlorien comfortably.
    You could use it on an 8GB machine if you were selective in what you had in the scene (delete stuff which is off-camera).
    A 32bit machine would be very limited, and probably just frustrating to try rendering with.

• Polycount: 6. No morphs needed or wanted. Rendered in Superfly.

0_1527609439814_26be90b1-7634-4bc1-9b81-249ec3e610f2-image.png

• Poser Ambassadors

A folder. Poly count: 24000+ . Note to myself was not to buy from this vendor again.
    0_1527611016656_highpolycount.JPG

• @Batman lol!

• @Batman OUCH!! What on earth was that vendor thinking?!?!

• I think the issue is people think that background props need to be high poly so as to look more "real." They model in all this detail for something that will only take up a couple of millimeters on the screen in full res. There is a great beginners tute from Blender Guru that steps you through modeling and he stresses low-poly and sub-division.

I did this tute and made the coffee mug.
    0_1527621219458_low res mug.jpg

• 44K polys so far.

0_1529607106238_39c6aeab-b7f8-445e-99ba-01cb1b63d621-image.png

• @eclark1849 Ohhh, that's shaping up real nice Earl.

• @Miss-B I have some real nice leather textures for it, but I haven't UV'ed it yet.

• @eclark1849

Are you modeling the purse in subdivided mode? If so, you might be able to get away with dropping one level of subdivision. I think 11K polys would probably be sufficient for that model, but not sure.

• @Deecey I usually go up two levels when modeling. I already know I'll be taking out at least half of these polys.

• @eclark1849

Understood. I do the same thing.

• Here's where a lot of those polys will come from that I have to get rid of. This was a mistake from when I had Mirror on, coupled with Blender's Solidify. So now we know what will happen if the Crisis on Infinite Earths doesn't line up properly. :)

0_1529609187562_840fbe04-789b-4159-85a9-e09a0e5442d9-image.png

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.