What makes a model "high poly"???

• @Batman OUCH!! What on earth was that vendor thinking?!?!

• I think the issue is people think that background props need to be high poly so as to look more "real." They model in all this detail for something that will only take up a couple of millimeters on the screen in full res. There is a great beginners tute from Blender Guru that steps you through modeling and he stresses low-poly and sub-division.

I did this tute and made the coffee mug.
    0_1527621219458_low res mug.jpg

• 44K polys so far.

0_1529607106238_39c6aeab-b7f8-445e-99ba-01cb1b63d621-image.png

• @eclark1849 Ohhh, that's shaping up real nice Earl.

• @Miss-B I have some real nice leather textures for it, but I haven't UV'ed it yet.

• @eclark1849

Are you modeling the purse in subdivided mode? If so, you might be able to get away with dropping one level of subdivision. I think 11K polys would probably be sufficient for that model, but not sure.

• @Deecey I usually go up two levels when modeling. I already know I'll be taking out at least half of these polys.

• @eclark1849

Understood. I do the same thing.

• Here's where a lot of those polys will come from that I have to get rid of. This was a mistake from when I had Mirror on, coupled with Blender's Solidify. So now we know what will happen if the Crisis on Infinite Earths doesn't line up properly. :)

0_1529609187562_840fbe04-789b-4159-85a9-e09a0e5442d9-image.png

• @eclark1849 Actually, that style would look good in leather or fabric, so don't limit yourself to just leather textures.

• Poser Ambassadors

Hi Poly versus Low Poly is an interesting discussion.

Prime rule is : Do not see your item as a "stand alone" but see the whole picture.

Recap:
    PE and V4 are around 70.000
    Roxy around 22.000
    Pauline around 35.000
    G8 around 16.000

Later figures (Roxie, G7, G8) all dropped in polycount from the V3, V4, Miki4.

In a basic scene:

• Figure

• Hair => most render engines do not "choke" on the figures, but on the hair.

• Shoes or boots => 20.000 poly shoes on a 20.000 poly figure?

• Clothing ( be it dress, shirt, blouses, pants) => See where this is going?

• Props

• And a house or room also with props to put the figure in.

Look for the balance between the lot.

At best : a handbag could have double the vertex count on a hand.
    The rest of the detail goes in a Bump, Displacement and or Normal map.

Maintaining the balance between the figures and the "add-ons" (hair, clothing and props) is a fine art only the best modelers pay attention to.

• Poser Ambassadors

This site gives a good demo on the balance between polygon modeling and maps used.
    You can click on any figure and turn it around to see what the mesh and maps do.
    Mesh and maps

Blender also has the tools to bake down textures from a Hi to a Low poly model.

• Poser Ambassadors

And here another good example of what to put in a mesh and what in the maps.
    Mesh or maps

Always remember :
    It is texture you see, it is texture and material room setup you render.
    The mesh is just the coathanger to hang the textures on.

Keeping the meshes and the textures in balance is the true art of a scene builder.

• @vilters looks like "just" a game character to me. So disproved to me . Good textures are not enough to convince me.

• @masterstroke If displacement maps are supported, there is no difference to a high-poly object.

• Poser Ambassadors

@masterstroke
    Tja , some game characters are better looking then what Poser or DS or Clone us all, will ever produce in the next decade or so.

Sometimes, it is better to look UP to Game characters. The time to look DOWN at Game Characters is far behind us.

The modern game Industry, has the time, the money and the tech for some fantastic productions.

• Poser Ambassadors

Too many polygons, is when the program crashes because there are too many in the scene....

• @vilters the big "tell" that I see in low-poly game characters used for animation outside the high-framerate games themselves (where the human eye is hard pressed to focus on such rapidly changing detail), such as SFM and MMD, are that unless their rendering uses micro-polygon displacement, you can always see the sharp profiles of the low density polygon mesh on the tangent polygons, which looks dreadful.

Just like Poser renders which use bump instead of displacement, you don't get any change in the profile shape of the rendered mesh where the polys are parallel to the line of sight. Until we get micro-polygon displacement in SuperFly, actual polygon mesh density is the only substitute, unfortunately. When SMS does deliver that, eventually, it will potentially be another game changer, where figure mesh density can be exchanged for detailed displacement maps.

Of course, hand-in-hand with more detailed maps is memory usage, so the tradeoffs between poly-count and texture storage will always exist, until Poser can do automatic Z-depth decimation/subdivision, only dealing with the level of detail required by the sharpness of focus at a particular distance from the camera. More subdivision for sharp focus, and less subdivision, none, or even decimation for out-of-focus, background figures/scenery.

• @anomalaus said in What makes a model "high poly"???:

Just like Poser renders which use bump instead of displacement, you don't get any change in the profile shape of the rendered mesh where the polys are parallel to the line of sight. Until we get micro-polygon displacement in SuperFly, actual polygon mesh density is the only substitute, unfortunately. When SMS does deliver that, eventually, it will potentially be another game changer, where figure mesh density can be exchanged for detailed displacement maps.

This. Agreed.

• @anomalaus A good modeled low-res character can be subdivided in Poser until micro-polygon displacement is available in Superfly. So no need to make heavy high density objects.