Ready for Metal?

• https://developer.apple.com/macos/whats-new/#deprecationsandremovedapis

Deprecation of OpenGL and OpenCL
    Apps built using OpenGL and OpenCL will continue to run in macOS 10.14, but these legacy technologies are deprecated in macOS 10.14. Games and graphics-intensive apps that use OpenGL should now adopt Metal. Similarly, apps that use OpenCL for computational tasks should now adopt Metal and Metal Performance Shaders.
    Metal is designed from the ground up to provide the best access to the modern GPUs on iOS, macOS, and tvOS devices. Metal avoids the overhead inherent in legacy technologies and exposes the latest graphics processing functionality. Unified support for graphics and compute in Metal lets your apps efficiently utilize the latest rendering techniques. For information about developing apps and games using Metal, see the developer documentation for Metal, Metal Performance Shaders, and MetalKit. For information about migrating OpenGL code to Metal, see Mixing Metal and OpenGL Rendering in a View.

Just passing this along to the devs. In related news, Reality's backbone LuxRender has been EOLed for a new renderer (LuxCoreRender) with no projected Mac support. Paolo is already aware of this and looking into his options.

Time to bone up further on SuperFly I guess.

• From my limited point of view, this seems like a step backwards on Apple's part. From what I read, Metal is only on Apple operating systems. I thought the whole point of OpenGL and OpenCL was to have a single API that works in all operating systems.

• @willdial The whole "open" concept is an anthema to Apple, it always has been. Not being judgemental, but their business model has always been based on monopolising their systems as much as possible.

• @AmyLBone not to mention their intention to orphan hardware prior to 2012 in Mohave, or the talk about ditching Intel and bringing their CPU architecture in-house. Where will that leave dual-booting MacOS & Windows 10+?

Quick, someone dig up Steve Jobs and resurrect his corpse! (Not that Zombie CEOs are particularly uncommon) ;-)

• Regarding the abandoning OpenGL and OpenCL from Apple side not sure, what they want to achieve but this does look like they want to close their ecosystem or to be more limited

What I would probably to recommend for Apple owners to avoid to upgrade to newer versions of their OSX, I have installed on my PC OSX and running for while without the issue(I do testing for few companies which working on OpenCL and CUDA applications) and looks like I will be not updating my OSX for while unless I need to

Its shame they want to close their ecosystem but understand as well as Apple for while planning to use their own CPU or GPU in Macbook or Imac series and many known their CPU and GPU are not the best in OpenCL or OpenGL

I'm not sure what this will mean for many SW or applications which relies on OpenCL or OpenGL

Metal is in many ways is awesome thing, its very similar to Vulcan which has been developed by Khronos and AMD and wouldn't be surprised if Metal is too developed by AMD too

If this does effect Nvidia and CUDA and if Nvidia will be still developing and releasing drivers for OSX etc

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

• Well, if this is the case, it will hasten my transition to Windows.

The last time I used Windows regularly, was before I transitioned to OS/2.

Has it changed much?

• @ssgbryan said in Ready for Metal?:

Well, if this is the case, it will hasten my transition to Windows.

The last time I used Windows regularly, was before I transitioned to OS/2.

Has it changed much?

OS/2 was From when Windows still ran on MS-DOS?
    If so: Yes. And IMO to the better.

• @trekkiegrrrl OS/2 Warp was, if IRC, IBM's attempt to breakout of the monopolizing clutches of Microsoft. An attempt that ultimately failed because of the way MS had licensed it's Windows operating system.

• Poser Ambassadors

@ssgbryan - I currently use an old Mac Mini for undemanding stuff like plus a PC with Win 10 for 3d & gaming. I would say that Windows feels a lot more Mac-like to me now than in the past - pluses & minuses to both platforms, but the gap is not the chasm it once was ;)

• @eclark1849 said in Ready for Metal?:

@trekkiegrrrl OS/2 Warp was, if IRC, IBM's attempt to breakout of the monopolizing clutches of Microsoft. An attempt that ultimately failed because of the way MS had licensed it's Windows operating system.

I remember it. Windows before Windows ... Just never took off.

• Poser Ambassadors

Oddly, OS2 warp is still being developed...

https://www.arcanoae.com/arcaos-5-0-blue-lion-coming/

• That's why I'll never ever in my whole lifetime in no situation no matter what people do to do me absolutely not unquestionably no never forever I'll ever use a Mac.

• Apple, please stop making my older apps cease functioning! I say this because in addition to this it looks as though Apple is gearing up to kill 32bit support.

• @Cobra When Apple first switched over to OSX I was still running P4. So all my apps were for the Classic Mac. So when I bought P6, I had a newer Mac, but they would allow you to run the old Software on the classic System. When Apple finally ceased to support the Classic OS I kept my old computer so I could use it to run up my older programs.

• @eclark1849 Yeah, technically anything that stops working I could run on an old eMac I have kicking about... but I've just hated the constant killing of older software. I don't know why Rosetta couldn't have still been kept as an optional installation for those of us who wanted to still use it.

• @duanemoody The nice thing about being an old person is remembering when you had to download and compile your own version of GL, and it worked just fine...