A Couple of Daz Studio to Poser Q's

• Is there an (easy) way to convert DS material (.duf) files to work correctly in Poser? I know you can save material files in DS then "Create Poser Companion Files" but that only works partially. Are there any kinds of scripts or apps that do that?

Next question is there a known reason why not all things work with DSON importer to Poser? Usually not figures but some props don't get imported to Poser. I have Shaderworks and D3D libraries and those sometimes don't even show the items in the list from DS and if they do they might not import at all. I'd rather not have to convert to .obj with saved materials because that seems to make the material conversion even worse.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I've been trying to figure this stuff out for awhile now.

DS 4.10
    Poser Pro 11
    current DSON importer
    Win10 64

• @shadow_fyre I had done some work on a Python script to directly read the DS format (.duf, etc) files and create Poser native objects in a Poser scene without recourse to DSON Importer at all (as the late, lamented D3D's DSON Loader python script did - call DSON directly, that is). It pretty much works with static props, though materials conversion will never be exact, as the two shader systems are incompatible apart from the simplest diffuse vs glossy vs transparency translations. The DSON importer is effectively providing DS routines within Poser, but is not being actively updated.

As far as figure conversion goes, apart from the encrypted high definition (SubD) morphs, which will probably never work in Poser, conversion of dual quaternion rigged figures is so fraught with design compromises (single weight map per joint, requiring additional, dummy joints to cater for twist weight maps) that I gave it up as a bridge too far, given that I was already seeing implementation deficiencies in DSON imported figures (facial expression bones not having their axes rotate with the figure, preventing their use unless the figure's head always faced forward on the Z-axis). That said, loading the static, grouped, but unrigged figure geometry into Poser is working, though I gave up at that point, due to the problem of converting DQ weight mapping to TriAx WM. A task much better left to DS itself.

Now, not to close the door completely on DS to Poser, there are others in this forum who have reported more success with DSON importation of more recent DAZ figures, but I will leave it to them to comment on their results.

• @shadow_fyre

The challenge is, Poser and DAZ Studio use two completely different rendering engines, each which has their own shader languages and expectations for material settings. When converting the materials from one to the other, you end up getting the "least common denominator", which is basically plain old texture map connections without all the extra node stuff behind it. Kind of like RTF is the least common denominator format for word processing like Word, and Word Perfect, and other similar software. It keeps SOME of the formatting between those packages, but not all of it.

I can't imagine the coding tricks it would take to create a full-fledged converter that would take every type of node in each program into account, and keep up with all the changes from one version to the next.

So the answer to your first question is ... unfortunately no, there isn't an easy way to convert them and have them be absolutely perfect in both programs.

I'll confess I can't give you much help with prop conversions. I did manage to import one prop set, but that was a while ago and I can't remember what I had to do to get them all visible. I'll see if I can find the notes.

• @shadow_fyre

OK ... I was working with a large prop set that I purchased from DAZ and initially I was only getting one part imported into Poser. I found out the issue was that I didn't add the runtime that contained the DAZ content into the Poser library. I don't know if that will help.

• @Deecey said in A Couple of Daz Studio to Poser Q's:

@shadow_fyre

I can't imagine the coding tricks it would take to create a full-fledged converter that would take every type of node in each program into account, and keep up with all the changes from one version to the next.

I would be happy with at least the diffuse, bump, spec, trans and displacement nodes intact. I understand it can't be done exactly, unless you go in DS and copy everything individually to poser, which I'm not willing to do because that's way too much work. Thanks. I was just hoping there was something out there that I have missed.

• @shadow_fyre

Is there an (easy) way to convert DS material (.duf) files to work correctly in Poser?

None i am aware of. Newer DAZ content mostly has PBR textures using the metal-roughness workflow. Such materials can be ported exactly using the PhysicalSurface node and connecting the textures to the corresponding slots… but you have to do it manually until someone comes up with a nice script for it.

Next question is there a known reason why not all things work with DSON importer to Poser?

Yep, as soon as a group or material name does contain one or more spaces Poser is unable to parse the generated OBJ file correctly. Its an old Poser bug and only way around is to edit the OBJ and the associated pz2 file in a text editor. DSON itself has some limitations as well but i have not yet found out what exactly they are.

• @Deecey said in A Couple of Daz Studio to Poser Q's:

Theoretical yes but in reality 3Delight materials are usually very simple. There are only a hand full of products that make use of the ShaderMixer, because it is terrible and has a super slow runtime performance during rendering.
    There was an script somewhere to convert Poser materials to 3DLight materials. If that can be done the opposite can be done also and much easier as Posers shader capabilities are much more advanced.

• This post is deleted!

• @nagra_00_ not actually a Poser bug, but a specification limitation. The Wavefront OBJ specification uses whitespace delimiters for group names on lines starting with a 'g', so any space in a group name will be misinterpreted as delimiting two group names, according to the spec. OBJ format does not support spaces in group names, but Poser and DS both do internally, so you can't port between the platforms using an implementation based on the original OBJ format. The standard mechanism for coping with this is to replace spaces with underscores in group names, or just never use spaces in the group names, but people forget, because spaces work within the apps. You see in the Poser wavefront obj export dialog a checkbox for "Use exact internal names except spaces". There's probably a DS equivalent, but I'm not that familiar with DS export options.

• @anomalaus Ah Ok, haven’t checked the Wavefront OBJ file specification. In that case its a DSON bug as it does not convert the names according to the specification.