Poser for raspberry pi?

• While I am aware that the raspberry pi 3 doesn't have a very powerful graphics chip or processor, I was wondering if there was a version of poser or an alternative that can run on the raspberry pi 3?

• @mr_engino Probably not. Poser is primarily designed to run on the Windows and Mac Operating systems. I Have heard people express an interest in getting it to run on Linux though, but no idea if SM is interested in it.

• Never. A Raspberry PI has not enough memory and a mutch to slow processor.
    Even more powerful ARM-Computers are not able to handle a piece of software like Poser. But it is possible to display a Poser figure on a better ARM board - with optimized shaders and textures. Animated in realtime using GLES.

• It might run an older, lobotomized version of Poser if that was ever ported to Linux (which never was)...

But, what would be the application for that? I don't think there are many people that build a whole rig with keyboard, mouse and display with Raspbery pi and use them to run desktop software, when $80 buy you a refurbished Windows laptop that is twice more powerful than the most powerful Raspberry pi...

Truth is, low-end Windows desktop market is more than completely saturated, so there's little chance that a StrongARM cpu will get much penetration any time soon, however cheap it is...

• @fbs7 said in Poser for raspberry pi?:

little chance that a StrongARM cpu will get much penetration any time soon, however cheap it is...

I think people are wildly underestimating the continuing hardware security disaster in the Intel chip family. It's bad. Really really bad. Bad enough that that may be it for the i86 line.

• @tburzio bad enough that there's talk about Apple developing their own in-house CPU, which sounds like it would definitely kill any possibility of dual or multi-boot capabilities including Windows and Linux. I'm still bummed that my iMac will not be supported with Mohave :-(

• Poser Ambassadors

Basically all current cpus have vulnerabilities, it isn't just Intel that has a problem.

• There has been a lot of a recent discussion around Apple recently, as the iPhone uses a StrongARM A11 chip, while the Macbook use Intel processors. So this is an area for drawing that parallel (with the caveat that StrongARM A11 is significantly faster than a Raspberry pi with an ARM A7 processor).

The point is: the newest iPhone is indeed faster than the lower end Macbook; that's proven by performance stats. But the latest Intel processors are about 3-4x faster than the A11.

Therefore, if you want processing power you go Intel, at least for now. That extends all the way to supercomputers:

alt text

I don't really see StrongARM there, much less Raspberry pi. On the other hand, the ARM manufacturers are having insane profits with the domination of smartphone and tablet markets --- they sell like 2 billion devices per year, so some 20x more than Intel -- so one can never tell if there will be a high-performance ARM processor coming for desktop -- say a 64-core ARM thingie would be mighty nice!

• @fbs7
    "Apple's plan for Mac processors built in-house is reportedly code-named 'Kalamata'"

This also matches up with the lack of new Mac products at WWDC this year.

https://www.techradar.com/news/apples-plan-for-mac-processors-built-in-house-is-reportedly-code-named-kalamata

• @anomalaus Linux runs on everything within about 10 minutes of the processor showing up at an Apple store, no need to worry about that. Microsoft is already deep into a Windows port to ARM. They have to do something, Windows is nearly extinct at home now anyway (ZDNet). The lack of storing the executable length in the header of Windows programs is the source of the viruses that plague that operating system, and only that operating system.

I could see Apple beating Microsoft to the punch.

• Poser Ambassadors

Don't forget that the Qualcomm Snapdragon tablets and notebooks are already available.

Many vendors are releasing systems with the Snapdragon 850 as well.
    Currently they run Windows 10 S, which isn't exactly the same Windows 10 we run.

The basic concept of these is to merge PCs with phones.
    Always on, always connected to the internet, long battery life, etc.

Things like the processor intensive stuff we run, well that remains to be seen.
    Microsoft started this long before Apple announced plans to consider replacing Intel.

Don't plan on Intel fading away any time soon.
    The I9 line will have lots of options, from low power, to massive multicore, to integrated AMD graphics.

• @shvrdavid Yes, and for most users these ARM computers are to slow to run Office. Even lots of Websites are to mutch for them.

• Hey, the first desktop level processor that gives me 64 cores, I'm bought!

We're really at the end of the line with Moore's law for single-thread-single-instruction, we're capped at 3-4 GHz or so, and there isn't much more superscalar magic to pull out than the 2-4 simultaneous instructions per clock (and most of them already do that now).

Vector processing (= GPU)(= SIMD)(= SSE/etc...) holds promise, but it's kinda specialized.

The way to get out of this is really with massive multi-threading; then we get Moore's law back once again. I do suspect that a 256-core CPU, even if these cores are simple, running a properly programmed application could blow them big heavy CISC processors out of water.

In that sense ARM/Raspberry/etc hold a lot of promise, as they are very power-efficient, and power efficiencey is definitely not in Intel's territory. But all that is like 10 years in the future.

== All the while... my Poser still doesn't do multithreaded bending! Oh no! I'll buy my 64 core processor in 10 years and Poser will keep 63 of them idle! ==

• @shvrdavid I think I read that Apple is only 5% of Intel's bottom line. It might sting a little if and when Apple leaves, but it won't cripple Intel.

• @eclark1849 If Jobs were still alive, I might even believe that.