.RSR file format?

• Now that Apple's about to phase out support for 32-bit software, RSRConv will no longer work. Believe it or not, there are still a few products out there where the vendors haven't updated the .RSR to .PNG and since Poser 7 (?) was the last version to convert them this leaves nothing on Mac that will.
    Can a kind hearted Poser engineer explain the file format and how it differs from a regular compiled resource fork containing a PICT image resource? Or is there already a Windows-compatible utility that's open source and can be ported? I really don't want to use LinkedIn to pester Carsten Reblitz, RSRConv's author (who seems to be otherwise not visible on the internet).
    Alternately, maybe that functionality could be put back into the next version of Poser if the code's still around and doesn't have licensing issues?
    Thanks in advance.

• I don't think the answer should be for Poser to support - yet again - old code and old ways of doing things. It's time for vendors to step up or for users to move on to new content that doesn't suffer these shortcomings.

• I don't disagree with the sentiment, but when I'm looking through an old runtime I don't have the time to load every item, pose, etc. just to see what it was. If Poser can't offer the functionality, I'd like to build the tools to see to it I can handle the matter myself.

• I would then suggest adding the request in this thread:

https://forum.smithmicro.com/topic/2086/submit-your-poser-suggestions-to-smith-micro/

Though I still think it's a mistake. It'll just end up encouraging people to not adapt to the new way of doing things but go for it. Worse thing they can do is not implement it, what do you have to lose?

• I use P3dO Explorer Pro to convert RSR thumbnails to PNG. Since it does so much, it's totally worth the price. Also, it's Windows only.

Also, I only run into RSR files on old products like items for Victoria 3 and Victoria 4. Stuff that was before Poser 7.

• Some of the rsr files were made by people who have died or who have completely left the community. But their work can still be useful—I think it'd be a loss to the community if it was no longer useable because a file format had fallen out of fashion.

• There are free scripts to change rsr to png for Win available in the Rendo freestuff. I don't use an Apple machine so cannot help for Mac.

• @Teyon said in .RSR file format?:

I would then suggest adding the request in this thread:

https://forum.smithmicro.com/topic/2086/submit-your-poser-suggestions-to-smith-micro/

Though I still think it's a mistake. It'll just end up encouraging people to not adapt to the new way of doing things but go for it. Worse thing they can do is not implement it, what do you have to lose?

Honestly, Teyon, I don't think anyone at SM is reading that thread. I also think that Poser's reluctance to abandon backward compatibility with at least SOME of the older versions is holding it back. I still have version 2 and 4 around here somewhere. I can't even run them on my computer anymore, so what good is backward compatibility to me?

• @duanemoody The simplest answer is to load up the product, create a render thumbnail size and save it to your system to replace the RSR file.

The RSR files are the thumbnails for products, nothing fancy. Just create your own thumbnails.

• Poser Ambassadors

• @eclark1849

You can open older content in the current version of Poser. That makes it backward compatible. That you can’t run Poser 2 or 4 on your computer has far more to do with just Poser itself. Hardware and OS advances, video cards, etc having much to do with it.

Poser 2 and 4 were released near 20 years ago. Windows and Mac OS have changed a lot since then. I can’t think of any software I used back then that I can still use in Windows 10. Not that I would even want to.

• @Deecey said in .RSR file format?:

@eclark1849

You can open older content in the current version of Poser. That makes it backward compatible. That you can’t run Poser 2 or 4 on your computer has far more to do with just Poser itself. Hardware and OS advances, video cards, etc having much to do with it.

Poser 2 and 4 were released near 20 years ago. Windows and Mac OS have changed a lot since then. I can’t think of any software I used back then that I can still use in Windows 10. Not that I would even want to.

My point was that too much emphasis is placed on keeping backward compatibility instead of moving forward. If people want to still use older content, then find a way to upgrade that content, and bring it up to current standards. Not hold back everything else so the old stuff continues to work.

• @eclark1849

In regards to the RSR format, all of the content furnished with Poser has been updated from RSR to PNG. Even if you do use the RSR to PNG converter for other third party content, you'd also have to update all of the ZIP files in the event that you ever have to reinstall the content at some later date. Otherwise you'd have to convert it all again.

• I don't have to worry about the RSR format. I haven't since Poser 4 when my Mac ran the Classic OS. There was a conversion program by SoftRabbit that converted RSRs for Macs. When Macs went full OSX haven't needed it.

• @eclark1849 and yet, as @Deecey mentioned, if you ever have a disk crash and have to reinstall your content from the original installers (here's hoping that you can even run some of the old 32-bit installer software on the latest macOS, which is not guaranteed [bring back Rosetta, please Apple]) or zip files, you may have a bunch of .RSR files and no .PNGs. I've been using Graphic Converter since it existed, and I well remember the dramas of invisible icons because the Alpha channel needed to be inverted (which Graphic Converter can do in batch mode, and even convert to PNG, too) on every .RSR created on a windows system.

• @anomalaus said in .RSR file format?:

@eclark1849 and yet, as @Deecey mentioned, if you ever have a disk crash and have to reinstall your content from the original installers (here's hoping that you can even run some of the old 32-bit installer software on the latest macOS, which is not guaranteed [bring back Rosetta, please Apple]) or zip files, you may have a bunch of .RSR files and no .PNGs. I've been using Graphic Converter since it existed, and I well remember the dramas of invisible icons because the Alpha channel needed to be inverted (which Graphic Converter can do in batch mode, and even convert to PNG, too) on every .RSR created on a windows system.

Well, before last year, it still wouldn't have been an issue. Last year around this time I had just come home from the hospital. I had had congested heart failure. Apparently my nieces and nephews at some point didn't think I would make it and someone jumped the gun and trashed my Mac mini which still worked and still ran the Mac Classic OS that I COULD run P2 and P4 on.

• @eclark1849 sorry to hear that, but pleased, of course, that you're still around to tell the tale. :-)

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849 said in .RSR file format?:

jumped the gun and trashed my Mac mini which still worked and still ran the Mac Classic OS that I COULD run P2 and P4 on.

What Mac OS -numerically- was it? Do you still have P2 and P4 installers?

• @seachnasaigh It was one of the first one's that came out. I think it was from 2006, but can't remember. The one I still have will run OS 5.7 and is dual core. I think it was one of the first intel minis. I still have the box for P2 and I think the disk is in it. I HAD the P4 disk, both mac versions, although If I recall back then the disks had both Mac and PC versions on it. UNfotunately, it too is missing in action.