Different textur sizes in a pack

• Poser Ambassadors

I was a bit quiet the last weeks, had many stress and at last could finish some PE projects .
    Now I am ready to upload the hybrid outfit (as freebie). It is a full outfit with pants , top, shoes.
    However, the texturefiles are 4098x4098 . Now I think about to put also smaller textures in the pack.For people with low performance machines as example. Half and quarter size. (Through Substance painter is there no quality loss.
    You think it is a good idea? Or people resize usually by their own? Before I make me this extra huge work.

PS. Stupid title I know.

• Poser Ambassadors

Personally I'm not sure I would bother as you'll be adding to the packaging & file download size, but how many texture files are we talking?

• @Ladonna

Truthfully, the only things that would really need 1K or 2K textures are smaller things. For example, you wouldn't really need a 4K iris texture (1K usually suffices if it's just an iris). As far as clothing goes, bump and normal map detail won't be nearly as detailed on a 2K texture as they would be on a 4K, even if you use Substance Painter to resize. I've been painting in 2K on my sets in SP, (painting a detailed outfit in 4K drags the interface down) and the difference after bumping them up to 4K is quite remarkable.

• Poser Ambassadors

@caisson About a lot .lol I have the pants, top and shoes which have all 4 different styles. The pants have 2 materials, the top one, but the shoes have 5 each of them and this 4x.

• Poser Ambassadors

@Deecey I thought so. Thank you . So here i guess, I can save me work.

• Poser Ambassadors

Hi Leona,

2 remarks here :

• It is texture you see, it is texture you render.
    • End users can always scale textures down if a project requires it, but they can NOT scale textures UP and regain/increase quality.

• Poser Ambassadors

@vilters Tony, true. Me personally like bigger textures. Detail and such. My intention was more to put a smaller size too inside the pack.4k and 2k. For people with low performance PC. But I guess if they need to resale, they can do it by their own.

• Poser Ambassadors

@Ladonna - I totally agree with @Deecey, detail where its needed ;)

I did have a thought that having different material sets could be a possible marketing strategy - as most product disappears from view after a few months, releasing a new material set could be a good way of grabbing attention & refreshing sales.

• Poser Ambassadors

@caisson I leave this to the user :) It will go out as freebie . So , should be not a problem here with attention :)