Raytrace Render in Preview ignores subdivision

• Would I be missing something obvious in wondering why a Raytrace Preview with the OpenGL Preview renderer selected would ignore subdivision and render the original prop instead?
    0_1528856355732_Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 12.15.32 pm.png
    Note the raytrace preview has sharp corners and edges.

• I have cut the front off a box prop to test my script for converting open props to closed, 2-manifold geometry. In doing so, I discovered that the box actually just consists of six squares, with duplicate vertices along the edges. This obviously preserves the box when subdivided, but when I process the open box with front removed, subdividing the now closed surface gives me five disconnected "pillows".

To avoid the disconnection of the faces, I simply use the Grouping Tool to weld the edge vertices, however, this renders the edges susceptible to smoothing/rounding when subdivided, as the work area image shows.

The big surprise comes when I raytrace preview it. No subdivision, and sharp corners! Yet the scene preview does show the subdivision. What gives?

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.