Tutorial : Detailing existing Poser meshes using 2 different procedures.

• Poser Ambassadors

This video demo shows how to improve, add detail and finetune existing Poser meshes using a FBM and Sculpt projections.
    The demo is using Pauline this time, but these procedures can be used on all Poser figures.

It is a follow-up video on a previous video on how to project High Res sculpts into your figures using the Morph brush fitting tool.

Best regards, and : Have fun using the Poser tools, Tony.

• awesome tutorial! bravo! I have a question. why not make the brush huge and wave it over the figure once to put the sculpt into your poser guy with the morphing brush and save yourself all that time?
    Love esther

• Poser Ambassadors

Because I was running multiple apps at the same time, and because the video capture is also slowing Poser down, I kept the brush relatively small . That way Poser has to do fewer calculations at the same time to transfer the sculpt.

When I close eveything down, and without the video capturing running, one can keep the brush larger to transfer more verts in a single pass.

On Pauline, (about 18.000 for the outside skin), I can get a Sculpt at SubD lever 3 to transfer relatively fast.
    For the PoserPro Lo Res male, a sculpt at SubD level 4 goes also fast.

Man, man, man, I continued experimenting this evening, and the amount of detail one can sculpt and transfer is amazing.

What I do now is:

I morph the figure in Blender. => Morph , that is without SubD. => Then export as obj from Blender to use as a FBM in Poser.

Then I add a SubD modifier to the morphed figure in Blender and sculpt that one to get the finer details.

In Poser, I first load the FBM, and then load the SubD sculpted Prop, and then transfer the Sculpt from the Prop into the already morphed figure.
    Works like a charm.

Best regards, Tony

• @vilters try making the brush huge and so everything is all red, and then just give the brush a wiggle once. that is all it needs.

• Poser Ambassadors

@estherau
    Hi Ester, sorry but my tests show that using a HUGE brush is not ideal.
    A lot of the functions in modern Poser depend on symmetry.
    So it is best to work on one side only and then let Poser "Mirror" to the other side.

Even when you start with a perfect symmetrical figure like Paul-Pauline or Rex-Roxie, and even with symmetry checked ON in your external 3D app (Blender in this case) when sculpting very high res meshes, symmetry gets lost.
    And then the end user ends up with a figure that is not symmetrical any more.

Yes, even with symmetry checked ON, Blender looses symmetry when sculpting at very high SubD levels.

• @vilters don't apologise. I like to learn. I have a M3 character I really like. I wonder if I will be able to transfer it to M4 using a similar method.
    Love esther

• Poser Ambassadors

@estherau
    What I demo works as good as it does (you should see what's on my screen now), because I use the same obj file.

You can transfer one body shape from one obj file (M3), into another obj file (M4), but you have to work around some limitations.

• You will have to scale and reposition the "donor" obj a lot.
    • You have to stay away from eyes, lashes, and mouth area
    • Ears and nose will certainly become problematic too.
    • Work with a very small brush in the head.

What I would certainly do, is export your morphed M3 as a single welded prop, and import that one as the "donor" figure obj.

Ester, unfortunately my Poser time for today is over, but you should see what I am doing now. ==> You will, one of the next days. :-) Stay tuned. The possibilities of the 2 procedures in the video's are breathtaking for Poser figures.

• @vilters Hi there,
    now I am curious, but I'm going interstate for a few days. will be looking forward to it. my guess is an add on for pauline advanced?

• Poser Ambassadors

Nope. Search the net for full body clothed 3D scans.
    LOL.
    I am gonna sculpt the clothing on the mesh in Blender. LOL.

Then transfer the lot on my simplified 6.000 polygon figure set at SubD level 4 in Poser using the Morph brush Fitting Projection technique from demo video 2.

Think what "could" be done on a V4/M4 poly mesh. I think default they come in at about 78.000 Polygon? LOL.

Hey?? For V4/M4 sculpts? Keep SubD level down to 1.
    The transfer is VERY memory hungry and does slow Poser down.

Remark before this gets confusing : For a body to body transfer, you do not need a SubD. That is only required if you want to transfer a high res sculpt.

• Poser Ambassadors

OK, experimented most of the W-End.
    So far the best procedure on a normal Poser figure (V4, Pauline, Roxie), seems to:

• First create a FBM. Just morph the existing mesh into the general shape you prefer. And you can add "detail" this FBM a lot because most have more then enough geometry to finetune the mesh.
    • Then SubD this morphed mesh to 1 in your 3D app, (that is more then enough) to add the skin wrinkles and fine skin detail.

Then in Poser;

• Load the figure, remove all IK, ZERO the figure
    • Load the FMB
    • Set figure to SubD level 1
    • Load your sculpt, and project the sculpt detail into the figure using video 2.

You end up with 2 dials that you can copy into the clothing if required.
    Dial A) for the FBM
    Dial B) for the Sculpt projection

All Poser figures meshes can be improved this way.

The experiment to Sculpt clothing into the sculpted mesh works; but then you also have to repaint the textures too.

Have fun using the Poser tools. best regards, Tony

• Would it be possible to simply replace the original (low-rez) .obj file with the newly created, more detailed one? Or will Poser choke on that?

• Poser Ambassadors

@grubendol
    Yes you can but there are some conditions.

For a conventionally rigged figure : Yes you can.

• Edit the cr2 (both lines pointing to the obj file) to the path of your improved "morphed" obj file.
      In other words ; Simply point the cr2 to your FBM obj file, and all works including the morphs that came with it.

Or you can edit both lines in the cr2 to the sculpted SubD obj file.
    WARNING ! ! ! ! ! But in this case you loose all morphs and need to use the "Copy Morphs from command" (PoserPro only) to get the morphs back in the figure, and rarely, but sometimes finetune them to the SubD figure..

For weightmapped figures : NO. Not always.

• Edit the cr2 (both lines pointing to the obj file) to the path of your improved "morphed" obj file.
      In other words ; Simply point the cr2 to your FBM obj file, and all works including the morphs that came with it. => Same as above for conventional rigged figures.

Or you can edit both lines in the cr2 to the sculpted SubD obj file.

WARNING (1) ! ! ! ! ! But in this case you loose all morphs and need to use the "Copy Morphs from command" (PoserPro only) to get the morphs back in the figure, and rarely, but sometimes finetune them to the SubD figure.
    => Same warning as above for conventional rigged figures.

WARNING (2) ! ! ! ! ! You will also have to repaint the weightmaps,

*What I do for my own figures:

• I load the default obj file in Blender
    • Morph it to my liking
    • Save as an obj file => Same procedure as saving a FBM.

Then I edit the cr2 to point to this morphed obj file.
    This is exactly the same as a FBM.
    The rigging (conventional or weightmapped) still works, and all morphs continue to work.

THEN in Blender again

• I add the SubD modifier
    • Sculpt the fine detail. => Usually a SubD level 1 is enough.
    • Export as SubD obj file

In Poser again.

• Load the cr2 that is now pointing at your personal obj file.

• Set SubD to the same level as you sculpted for max detail transfer.

• Then load your sculpted obj

• Use the Morph brush fitting tool to project your sculpted detail in your figure using the video 2 procedure.

If interested, I can make a video with the complete workflow to clarify?

• @vilters: Wow, that was a really extensive answer to my simple question. Thank you very much!
    As far as I'm concerned, you don't need to make an additional tutorial for me. I will dive deeper into that topic when the time comes.
    Dank u wel!

• Poser Ambassadors

@vilters This is actually a response to your disappointment in tutorial viewership. Personally, I think the videos are wonderful ... but maybe a wider exposure?

• @Boni said in Tutorial : Detailing existing Poser meshes using 2 different procedures.:

@vilters This is actually a response to your disappointment in tutorial viewership. Personally, I think the videos are wonderful ... but maybe a wider exposure?

The problem Boni, is that there is about 20 years of empirical evidence that video tutorials are the least effective way of teaching.

They are easy to make, but are not effective.

• Poser Ambassadors

I guess I am an anomaly, I go through 4 or 5 daily to keep up with the industry. Poser, Zbrush, Blender ... Photoshop, Illustrator ... Then again, I have a unique visual problem that makes me take alternate tracks in some processes than most may.

• Count me in as another anomaly. I like being able to rewind, pause, etc., and they're very helpful for me. I far prefer them to webinars, etc.

But if we're talking sitting in a room with a group of people watching a video and trying to learn from it...yeah, not so effective for me.

• Lets leave this thread for questions and tips about the tutorials.

• Poser Ambassadors

2 new video's uploaded.

The first video gives the correct export-import settings on how to create Single Group Morphs and FBM in Blender.

In this second video, we will "detail" the Poser11 Pauline figure using a FBM created in Blender.
    Then finetune the mesh detail by projecting a High Definition Morph into the figure using the Fitting Morph brush tool.

The result is an improved Pauline using a FBM and then further enhanced with a HD Morph projection.
    For a close-up render, the end user can leave both dials active.
    When the figure is far away from the camera, the end user can turn the level of detail down by removing the SubD if required to save memory.

Best regards, Tony

• Poser Ambassadors

Hello guys, I just uploaded the third video in this series.

In this video we demo the 3 different procedures about how to use FBM and High Definition Morphs in ALL Poser versions that have the Morph Brush.

• We talk about FBM projection.
    • We talk about HD morph projection.
    • And we show the cr2 editing method, that can then be finetuned with a HD Morph

Best regards, and have fun using the Poser tools.
    Tony