Are we getting left behind?

• Apple? What Apple? :D :D :D

• @karina the Metal Apple, that breaks your teeth when you bite into it. X-*

• @ssgbryan said in Are we getting left behind?:

@fbs7 said in Are we getting left behind?:

GPU programming is really becoming mainstream. 10 years ago you had all kinds of incompatibilities, but nowadays OpenCL is supported by AMD, Nvidia, Intel and other GPUs.

But Apple doesn't :(

Hmm? I thought Apple supported OpenCL?

link text

But then I know almost nothing about Macs.

• @fbs7 OpenGL OpenCL deprecated in favour of Metal 2 in macOS 10.14 Mojave This will also orphan macs of my 27" iMac's vintage (2011), which won't be supported in Mojave.

• Poser Ambassadors

After reading what many developers think of Metal, it doesn't look real promising for the Apple. Many game and program developers have already stated that they are not going to continue supporting Macs because of this change. It isnt a big market share, and that was the number one reason brought up...

• @shvrdavid In all honesty, I don't think it'll make a difference. Blizzard has already adopted Metal, you can use it right now in their games... and outside of them, other big companies don't normally develop directly for macOS, Feral normally port their games over. As for indies like myself, our development software will undoubtedly see updates to follow the new standards.

• Poser Ambassadors

You could be right, but only time will tell.

• @anomalaus said in Are we getting left behind?:

@fbs7 OpenGL OpenCL deprecated in favour of Metal 2 in macOS 10.14 Mojave This will also orphan macs of my 27" iMac's vintage (2011), which won't be supported in Mojave.

Wow... that's an intriguing gambit!! These guys are really playing a chess match.

I can see that move for iOS. iOS has been under huge pressure from Android - 2010 sales of Android and iOS were roughly the same of about 150 million units, with $$ advantage to iOS due to higher price; but in 2016 the sales were 1.2 billion for Android vs 200 million for iOS.

So I can understand a move to safeguard the 200 million or so units per year, by forcing the developers to move back a proprietary API, and if that proprietary API gets some extra quality or performance from proprietary hardware, then that's a differential to benefit from.

But I don't get it for macOS; its sales have been stable since 2010 at about 15 million units per year, while the Windows sales have decreased from 550 million desktops/laptops/tables in 2014 to some 400 million in 2018. So the pressure in macOS is getting lower, not higher.

So I don't see the point of isolating macOS. Maybe Apple considers that macOS users are captive and will not move, and therefore developers will be forced to develop games/etc... for two APIs even if that means increased costs for them. Really fascinating move.

• @shvrdavid said in Are we getting left behind?:

After reading what many developers think of Metal, it doesn't look real promising for the Apple. Many game and program developers have already stated that they are not going to continue supporting Macs because of this change. It isnt a big market share, and that was the number one reason brought up...

It is worse than that - Timmy really doesn't grasp that OpenCL and OpenGL are used for more than just games. OTOH, it isn't like their implementation for either is current.

• @fbs7 said in Are we getting left behind?:

So I don't see the point of isolating macOS. Maybe Apple considers that macOS users are captive and will not move, and therefore developers will be forced to develop games/etc... for two APIs even if that means increased costs for them. Really fascinating move.

I'm like every other creative type - I am planning my transition from OSX to Windows. A MacPro 5,1 makes a helluva windows workstation.