Is Weightmapping Sydney hard or impossible to do?

• Poser Ambassadors

@trekkiegrrrl

Nah-Nah, I do not use the P2LoRes.... She's way too high in polycount. LOL.

Helmet on, Gasmask on, all station clear to dive . LOL

Last check, including hair and boots was 6.470 verts with an 8K texture map, a 4K hair texture map, and a 2K transmap for hair and lashes.

With a SubD level 1 that comes our at around 26.000 Poly, exactly in the sweet spot of modern detail, HD Morph projections, and render capability.

The Main difference being? In my figure, every vert is DOING something in 3D space.

• Poser Ambassadors

To me the biggest difference between one companies figures and another is the support they get.
    There is also the general bashing that goes along with it.

One person in this camp, another in another camp.
    And there is nothing wrong with having preferences.

Lets face it, you can do a lot with any figure if you take the time to do it.
    You can do the same with just about any render engine as well.

If I can make a SM figure look like this in Poser, so can anyone else that really wants too.

alt text
    alt text

The difference, is that this wasn't point, click, render, poof, pretty picture...
    I had to do some work myself...
    The idea that you can't do anything with the figures that come with Poser...
    Is what ruined support for them in the first place........

• Poser Ambassadors

Correct Scott.
    It took me 2 years to get Roxie to where I wanted her to be.

My own figures are 5 years in the making, and even at only 6.470 verts, not a week goes by that I change the obj file. (Last week she still only got 6.468 verts)

Still angry at myself but I had to add 2 verts to add something that NO other figure has. LOL.

Next project is to merge ALL vertex groups into a single one.
    Next-next project is a vertex groupless Hi poly version.

• @shvrdavid Here you are claiming that this is a SM figure. In another thread you stated that it was GEN3. WTH?
    0_1529681673873_shrvdavid.jpg

• @vilters curious about the 2 additional vertices. Pierced ears, perhaps, or outie belly button? ;-)

• @anomalaus I know. And 6 thousand verts. I've made sticks that were heavier that.

• Poser Ambassadors

@ghostship The blond is Genesis 3

• @shvrdavid said in Is Weightmapping Sydney hard or impossible to do?:

The idea that you can't do anything with the figures that come with Poser...
    Is what ruined support for them in the first place........

If Pauline had looked like that to begin with, she probably would have gotten more support. Catch 22.

;-)

• @shvrdavid So...what SM figure is this other one? It appears to be the same texture maps used on the GEN3 figure.

• Poser Ambassadors

@ghostship

The other one is based on Pauline.
    No, it isn't exactly Pauline anymore, but it started life out as Pauline.
    Like I said, it wasn't point and click.

I don't really get why you feel the need to cut everything I post apart.
    I have worked with and done work on many figures used in multiple apps.
    It isn't like I don't have a clue how to make, modify, transfer things from one figure to another, etc.

• @shvrdavid Did't mean to be a dick. Sorry about that.

• Poser Ambassadors

Lucy Test figure at 6.470 verts including taxes. LOL

• Rendered at SubD L 1 at 6 samples in SF

• SubD L 1 mesh demo

• RAW mesh demo

• Poser11 dome morphed and textured

• Single Infinite light

• Single piece dress, 669 verts, 5 mat zones, all Poser procedural mats.

Textures :

• Body is 8.192x8.192 procedural skin build in Krita except brows, lips, eyes and mouth that are pasted on.
    • 4.096x4.096 hair I found somewhere on the net and adapted.
    • 2.048x2.048 transmap for hair (also covering the lashes)
      0_1529695314115_Lucy - Test.jpg

• So. If one takes a low rez figure and let Poser subdivide it, it's only "apparent" subdivision, right? So one could use the P2LoRez ;) and it would still internally be lo rez? Just LOOK and render subdivided?

Just checking, because in that case I am SO going to use my LoRez versions more :)

• Poser Ambassadors

@trekkiegrrrl
    If you build a Low Res figure as I did for test purposes all Posers internal functions remain Low Res.

• The Setup room works on the Lo res base.
    • Joint editor works on the Lo Res base.
    • The fitting room uses the Lo Res base
    • Bullets uses the Lo res base
    • Morphs are build for and loaded on the Lo res base.

But :

• All render engines, and that includes the "Preview" render engine, work on the SubD level selected.
    • Using the tech from my second and third video tutorial on YouTube, you can "project" HD morphs at ANY SUbDlevel into the Poser SubD figure " and you can go to a extremely high detail in the HD morph as demoed in the videos.
      ( All while Poser still uses the Lo res version for its internal functions.)

The problem: Yes there is a problem too. LOL.

• You need a technically perfect figure for all this to work properly. That is why I had to build my own test figure.

Secondary advantage :

• You can also build the clothing Lo Res.
    • Take the Lo Res clothing through the fitting room while your figure had a SubD on it in preview.
    • Save clothing to Library and delete. => The clothing stays Lo Res, but the cr2 "knows" yur figure had a SubD Level on it. Ha-haaaaa ! ! !
    • Load and conform the clothing to the figure and it AUTOMATICALLY adapts to the SubD Level of the figure.

So far the tech demos showed had only procedural textures on them to test the tech.
    => Now you can enhance the renders with proper texturing.

• Poser Ambassadors

One little difference in what Tony said. You can add morphs to the subdivided parts of the mesh in P11.

They are calculated on the wrong side of the joint thou, and that needs to be taken into account when working in a joint area.

• Poser Ambassadors

@shvrdavid

Correction ; 2 different things here.

a) You build morphs externally (as you do for any other figure) WITHOUT SubD. => You have to build your morphs on the RAW mesh. => The Lo Res Mesh.
    Load them as you would for any other figure. (Single vertex group morphs, or FBM) => See my Video 1 on YouTube.
    REMARK : We are NOT talking GoZ here, but any other 3D app like Wings or Blender or...….whatever.

b) And this is where Scott come in.
    Inside Poser, you can use the morph brush to create morphs on a SubD figure using all the verts from the SubD level.
    ( And in the morph brush options, you see the option => Bake down for SubD to get the newly created morphs "Bake down" into the lowel SubD levels.
    This way You can create very highly detailed morphs using a very high level of SubD inside Poser itself.

Use the High Res version for close ups, and you move the figure further away from camera, you can turn the SubD level down to reduce memory load.

For extreme close ups use SubD level 3 or 4 ( If you have created such detailed morphs).
    For figures in the middle of a scene use SubD level 2 or 1.
    And for figures in the distance use the Raw mesh without SubD.

This way the detail of your High Res Morphs gets gradually reduced as you move the figure further from camera in the scene.

• Poser Ambassadors

@shvrdavid - if making multi-resolution morphs with Zbrush via GoZ I think it's possible to specify whether the morph is applied before or after the joint rotation - I could be wrong though as I haven't used it for a while.

• Poser Ambassadors

@caisson

I have tried making HD jcms with the morph brush, and even after editing the cr2 they wont process on the correct side of the joint. Maybe I am doing something wrong, dunno. My other half has Zbrush, but I don't use it. (ui drives me bonkers, lol) Most of my morphs are made either right in Poser, or with Blender.

• Poser Ambassadors

Right click on the little arrow behind the morph. => Select => Convert to post-Transform Morph

• Poser Ambassadors

That works fine for morphs on the base wire frame. SubD jcm's don't seem to work so well