Need help with Bullet physics and octane render

• @gsfcreator said in Need help with Bullet physics and octane render:

@eclark1849 I still have something to try. exporting as OBJ and then import works for a single file...but you can also export OBJ as an animation...I think this might work. I'll you people posted.

Good luck with that. You're using the term OBJ, but in Poserspeak that means as a Wavefront Object file. In my experience with Poser that usually just turns everything into a statue.

• @eclark1849 it does! but won't it turn it into a DIFFERENT statue for each and every frame? I won't be able to animate it, but my plans are to use it just as a tool to get octane to render the result of the BP simulation.

there must be a solution(!).

• Poser Ambassadors

@gsfcreator
    There is a simple solution - do not use live simulation, but use calculate. Live Sim is only for preview. Make sure you have end frame set in both bullet and poser and that you have a saved scene (calculate requires a saved scene to work).
    I cannot upload video here, so showing some frames.

0_1529877039641_frame00001.png
    0_1529877052270_frame00008.png
    0_1529877070611_frame00014.png
    0_1529877085426_frame00016.png
    0_1529877102791_frame00022.png

• @wimvdb I did calculated the socks simulation - but I used live BEFORE i did the calculation (and reset it). does that matters? octane still didn't got the simulation. thanks, wim! :)

• @wimvdb posting YouTube links will embed them in your post

If you create a free YouTube account, and upload an animation, you can just copy the link to the animation and paste it directly into your forum post. Don't use the link icon, just paste the link and it gets embedded, so it can be previewed in the forum without needing to download a link.

• @anomalaus how did you created that smoke? :D

• @gsfcreator you can check out this thread: SuperFly Volumetric Breath Water Vapour Shader Not Clouds for the prop development saga, and this one: adding 'flying perspiration' post render for the simplified volumetric scatter shader.

• @anomalaus Thanks, man! I'll check it out! though I'm not getting anywhere near superfly. I don't know if something is wrong with my poser. maybe it's not really using the GPU? I need a way to test it...but when I try to render with superfly two things happens:

1. it slows down my entire pc, which is a quite a beast (I have no problem rendering with Octane, while working on photoshop/premiere at the same time and still have my browsers open without the slightest of lags. but with superfly? I can't even TYPE in my scrivener without lags when this guy's on. it makes no sense ;.

2. it's slow...like...unfathomably slow.

something must be wrong with my poser specifications.

• @gsfcreator I'd suggest you search this forum for render settings threads. There is lots of information out there, but until you find a comparison thread which looks at what various settings do, it's almost too much to take in. For instance, Bucket Size. Lots of people have systems with top-end GPUs that can make use of large bucket sizes efficiently. I'm on a Mac. AMD GPU support is severely wanting to the point that I don't get the choice to render with GPU (apart from hardware acceleration of Preview shading). It took me some thrashing with a simple scene and looking at the Message log and it's information on how long renders took to work out that large bucket sizes actually took longer to render (despite having 32GB RAM in my system). I even tried really small values, but it turned out that the optimal render efficiency came with the default of 64, on my iMac.

This is one of those things that the manual could do much better on, by describing a 'vary a single parameter then measure' process. The manual is also sadly lacking in sufficient examples of a type which will help the user learn for themselves, and also missing comments on how to use specific shader nodes and what render settings (bounce limits of various types) relate to that shader.

I've just found myself having to trawl blender sites for cycles documentation on how to properly use the SuperFly HairBSDF node. Unlike the FireFly Hair node, which pretty much does everything, HairBSDF has two different "Component" settings, Reflection and Transmission. To get the full effect, you actually have to use two HairBSDF nodes, one for each Component, and then use a MixClosure node to combine them, with the mix factor driven by either the Transmission or Reflection output of a LightPath node (A fact which was still unstated in the Cycles doco due to it's blinding obviousness to the documentation writers [yet took me a while to infer/guess])!

• @anomalaus !!!!

that's a pain to go through. Unless I'll have no choice (like the issue I have right now with bullet-physics and octane...which I hope I'll find a solution for) I'd rather just use octane.

• Poser Ambassadors

@gsfcreator
    I have no idea what issue you have, it works fine for me
    Try a simple thing like a ball bouncing on the ground.

• @wimvdb I'm doing the simplest simulation with cloth material. look:

1. socks into scene. open BP:

0_1529938159256_02e9839c-4078-42b4-b532-1736b00bd98d-image.png

calculate simulation, default. this is how the socks end up (falling on the ground, folding onto themselves):

0_1529938235005_31979223-b891-4741-834c-d347946dd0db-image.png

open octane render, at frame 30, render, and this is what I get:

0_1529938322396_d1964db1-9778-4bc6-90ee-1d5ff93788a8-image.png

octane don't get the data of the vertices deformations. I know it's not just an issue I have, because paul did said that he knew about this and contacted smith micro years ago, to no avail :(. I don't know what you did with the ball...gonna try. but that's what happens when you do a cloth simulation.

• @gsfcreator I'm not exactly sure what you're mad about. Your sim's working perfectly. You have them set on soft body and they're crumpling to the floor. My socks do that in the real world. If you want the socks to stand on their own open Rigid bodies and check the socks there.

• Poser Ambassadors

@gsfcreator Workaround spawn a morph-target, resave to lib, load and dial simmed morph in, see if it renders in Octane then.

• @eclark1849 there is nothing wrong with the simulation, my friend. as I explained, the problem is not with the simulation in poser (it's perfect, as you said, and I never said anything about it...). the problem is with octane not getting the simulation's information regarding the vertices deformations, and thus - not rendering it...(look at my post above: frame 30 in poser's viewport shows the deformed socks - perfect. octane renders the socks as if nothing had happened...and it's NOT a problem with octane. it's a problem with poser.

and I'm not mad about anything. I'm just trying to solve an (important, at least for me...) issue...;) :).

• @gsfcreator Does Octane read Bullet Physics Sims? Can you run the sim in Octane?

• @Biscuits pardon my ignorance, but can you be more elaborate? :) I didn't messed around with morphs too much...

• Poser Ambassadors

@gsfcreator In the menu under figure or object, you can spawn the simulated deformation as a morph.
    That way you "bake" the vertices deformation in.

• @eclark1849 I'm referring to the octane plugin. it's just a render engine - you can't "play" the preview (as far as I know...) in the viewport. you can only render (which is what it was meant to do...). all I do in octane is dealing with the rendering phase (mainly materials, lights and render settings.). but octane is not getting the simulation information when I render, so it's safe to say that it can't play the simulation (because it doesn't get the information from poser...)

wait, let me copy-paste what paul from Otoy said:

0_1529940963988_5581f1d8-780e-4571-a6fa-49b4a8cf34bd-image.png

maybe this will explain the problem better...

• Poser Ambassadors

@gsfcreator I think I know what it is.
    Are the socks a figure?