BB's Camtarget? Where to put it?

• I'm always rendering with DoF. And when I found that BB had made an alternative "crosshair" I wanted that. I've replaced the camtarget.obz in my Poser Runtime/geometries/Camera with the new one. Checked it in UVMapper (fastest way to open obj files that I know of) and it IS very different from Poser's default one.

Yet .. all I get is the same ole cross hair.

So what am I missing? IS this supposed to replace the Focus Guide? Or have I completely misunderstood what this thing does?

• @trekkiegrrrl Did you restart Poser? I don't know if that's the answer, but it couldn't hurt.

• Poser Ambassadors

In order to ensure you have the right file, manually import the prop and verify you get this grid shape. (This is my camtarget.obz)

0_1529755355391_89da1ff6-4cbe-4282-82a3-ee1c25a41412-image.png

Now it may be you dropped it in the wrong folder. In my system, the correct folder is in my C:/Users /Public Documents/Poser 11 Content/Runtime/Geometries/Camera. You may have the same folder but it may not be what Poser is using.

I would suggest, in order to eliminate the possibility that you're in the wrong place, that you use a whole-disk search to locate all files called camtarget.o* and see what is revealed.

Finally, when Poser is presented with camtarget.obz AND camtarget.obj, I cannot say which it will load. Various iterations of Poser have installed both. I would see to it that only one is present.

• Poser Ambassadors

Oh - since I mentioned whole-disk search, let me point out that the best tool I've ever found for this task is Everything by voidtools

www.voidtools.com

This tool is, by far, the most beautiful tool in my kit. As I type a file name it INSTANTLY locates and displays all files and folders that match. I mean INSTANTLY. It is quite amazing.

0_1529755804472_783a7011-5b12-481d-b6dd-c688043e5b11-image.png

• @bagginsbill Hey, BB, does your tool do something the default doesn't? Looks like they both pretty much do the same thing. Unless, it's just to change stuff up??

• Poser Ambassadors

The default focus distance guide works very poorly (or not at all) when you want to focus on something that isn't in the middle of the image.

In this composition, you cannot at all tell where the guide is relative to Andy's face.

0_1529760593750_1321949a-c3fc-47ce-91ec-e749432955d0-image.png

• Poser Ambassadors

Mine works across the whole image.

0_1529760687254_7645d877-e2ea-40d6-9f7c-67ea5074825b-image.png

• @bagginsbill said in BB's Camtarget? Where to put it?:

In order to ensure you have the right file, manually import the prop and verify you get this grid shape. (This is my camtarget.obz)

0_1529755355391_89da1ff6-4cbe-4282-82a3-ee1c25a41412-image.png

Now it may be you dropped it in the wrong folder. In my system, the correct folder is in my C:/Users /Public Documents/Poser 11 Content/Runtime/Geometries/Camera. You may have the same folder but it may not be what Poser is using.

I would suggest, in order to eliminate the possibility that you're in the wrong place, that you use a whole-disk search to locate all files called camtarget.o* and see what is revealed.

Finally, when Poser is presented with camtarget.obz AND camtarget.obj, I cannot say which it will load. Various iterations of Poser have installed both. I would see to it that only one is present.

I moved everything out of the folder, save for your camtarget.obz. I unpacked it and checked it in UVMapper to verify it was the grid one.

I searched all three P11 locations (don't ask ...) and it's the only camtarget.* installed now :/

I have of course restarted Poser. But I still get that stupid crosshair. I WONDER if it's grabbing it from some other linked runtime ... I guess I'll do a diskwide search and rename all the other instances to be sure.

Oh - since I mentioned whole-disk search, let me point out that the best tool I've ever found for this task is Everything by voidtools

www.voidtools.com

This tool is, by far, the most beautiful tool in my kit. As I type a file name it INSTANTLY locates and displays all files and folders that match. I mean INSTANTLY. It is quite amazing.

Oooh nice. Thanks :D
    What a neat toy.

Now I just need to find out WHICH one of these MY Poser picks. Since it isn't the one at the top that it SHOULD ...

0_1529762068325_b7b81792-f0fc-4dd9-be88-93b046d7304a-image.png

• Heh. I dunno which one it picked before, but it's gone now. I have a grid :D WEE!
    0_1529762425519_d8f6c645-e2cc-4841-b7e8-e93a6cdbf8b1-image.png

• Poser Ambassadors

Congrats!

www.voidtools.com

Oh wow!

I just got a new rig and am porting my runtimes over and of course the library is indexing, if only SM linked to this service for its indexes!

• @amethystpendant
    From the info in the FAQ I understand it needs NTFS file system, which makes it less useful for Mac systems, and would make it less attractive to implement in Poser.

• @amethystpendant said in BB's Camtarget? Where to put it?:
    Oh wow!

I just got a new rig and am porting my runtimes over and of course the library is indexing, if only SM linked to this service for its indexes!

I was thinking the exact same thing when I tried it. This is awesome!

• I just installed it myself. It's really easy to use. I had the f-stop way too low on my first attempt. Redoing it now should post it to Superfly Renders this evening. That's another of my "work out how to's" sorted. Once again proving the bagginsbill is "Da Man." Right don't ever let me say that again, I feel quite peculiar.

• @AmyLBone said in BB's Camtarget? Where to put it?:

I just installed it myself. It's really easy to use. I had the f-stop way too low on my first attempt. Redoing it now should post it to Superfly Renders this evening. That's another of my "work out how to's" sorted. Once again proving the bagginsbill is "Da Man." Right don't ever let me say that again, I feel quite peculiar.

It always helps to think in photography terms when it comes to the Focus and DoF. Low numbers = very shallow DoF. But also, focal length matters. Longer focal length gives a more pronounced DoF. So a Focal of 100 with an F-stop at 2.8 gives almost no margin for DoF. You can make the nose tip in fucus and the eyes will be slightly blurred. Well, almost at least. Depends on the size of the schnoz ;)

• @trekkiegrrrl said in BB's Camtarget? Where to put it?:

It always helps to think in photography terms when it comes to the Focus and DoF. Low numbers = very shallow DoF. But also, focal length matters. Longer focal length gives a more pronounced DoF. So a Focal of 100 with an F-stop at 2.8 gives almost no margin for DoF. You can make the nose tip in fucus and the eyes will be slightly blurred. Well, almost at least. Depends on the size of the schnoz ;)

Yeah I had 69mm set to 2.8 so it was blurrier than my eyesight after half a bottle of Rye. XD

• @AmyLBone said in BB's Camtarget? Where to put it?:

Yeah I had 69mm set to 2.8 so it was blurrier than my eyesight after half a bottle of Rye. XD

LOL!

Since my default render settings has DoF turned on (I like the effect, it's more like a photo), you can imagine what happens when I forget to set the focal point. Well forgot, because with the new and improved focal guide it's impossible to overlook it :D

• @trekkiegrrrl I think I'll be using it a lot myself now I have BB's magic focal thingie.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.