Vendor Tales...

• Poser Ambassadors

@Glitterati3D

Again, unrendered because it is way beyond bed time here.
    0_1530057045858_unrendered2.jpg
    Euh what where you saying about the unposable hands?

• @vilters

Is that a working texture or a final one?

Ya'd need some mighty big yarn and knitting needles for that sweater dress :-P

• Poser Ambassadors

@Deecey
    Just some quick demo I simply swapped together in 5 minutes including the fitting room pass and leg repaint.
    I did not even spend a minute rendering to respond to these attacks. => Just preview quality will have to do.
    The texture was to simply have "something" on the dress.

• @vilters

That's what I figured. LOL

• Poser Ambassadors

@Glitterati3D
    oh, and Trace?

You did not even read everything.
    What you see is a "unrendered preview screengrab" . => The ground texture is 8.192x8.192 .

• @vilters LOL, even worse.....awful. Just awful.

• Poser Ambassadors

@Glitterati3D I never use the fitting room for rigging. I rig old fashion in the set up room . Also never auto group.
    Can not stand worst rigged outfits from which I have a few .And payed hard earned money for them even :(

• @Glitterati3D said in Vendor Tales...:

@Deecey I rig without the Setup room all the time, but I also rig my dresses to the floor with weight maps. It's all in the grouping, which I do not allow the Fitting Room to do because that, most of all, is it's worst routine.

My rigged dresses follow the pose, including long gowns, and can still be use as hybrid clothing in the cloth room.

Gown posed:
    0_1530055403028_Cream.jpg

Gown simmed:
    0_1530055476623_Tux_Ballroon.jpg

I'm not criticizing this gown, just using it as a topic example because it was a quick screen grab.

But something that I think Poser vendors could and should start doing is to make cloth LOOK more realistic. By that I mean Poser cloth tends to look flat and one dimensional, or extra thick. I think bump and displacement maps help, but real Cloth is weaved, and as a result actually has holes in it that light can pass through. You could put a spot light right next to that gown and no light will get through.

But look at cloth with the sun behind it.
    0_1530090970235_b96a2b5b-d3dc-4acb-ad57-e31f895c282b-image.png

It's more translucent, like skin.

0_1530091123796_792a767e-a266-42a2-b77b-3d92aebca512-image.png

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849 This dress what she show is heavy Brocade and not a summer dress.

• @Ladonna Really just trying to make a point, LaDonna. We're talking about trying to improve the realism in the renders. And it's those little details that make the render more visually appealing.

0_1530091862320_f0d957c0-77d0-4b3f-98e6-5d3954fc1498-image.png

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849 Yes, I got you, but you can not compare a summer dress or chiffon to heavy brocade.
    0_1530092158275_jpg.jpg

• @Ladonna I get what you're saying, and as I said, it wasn't a criticism of the gown, just using it as a quick screen grab. And tuthfully, you put a bright spot behind that dress in the real world you'll at least some light behind her and through the clothes.

uhoh, Time to make the doughnuts. :) (Go to work if you don't get the reference)

• @eclark1849 Except, Earl, in this case you're wrong. A designer would make this dress only in heavy, non translucent fabric to highlight the split up the leg.

Translucence in this case would lead to the eye being misdirected from the slit to the space between the legs confusing the viewer.

Now, that said, there was a material room MR from Tabala called Merchant's Glory that created cloth room fabrics like you mention. It's long been off the market, but I used it when I was learning the material room and, frankly, it was the only thing that made sense of the spaghetti code that is the material room for me.

There were settings for things like Cotton Cold, Cotton Warm, Silk Cold, Organza, etc., etc. where you plugged your own painted UV maps into Tabala's settings and it worked beautifully.

Except for changing the specular settings, it still works beautifully for Superfly, too.

Now, that said, there was a material room MR from Tabala called Merchant's Glory that created cloth room fabrics like you mention.

I have 4 of Tabala's older goodies, but don't think I have that one.

• Here I used Tabala's Silk Cold to achieve Earl's look. I did disconnect the altSpecular and set the Specular instead, for Superfly.

I do think, however, it shows the point I was trying to make to Earl. Since the side slit is now not a focal point, the dress becomes "just another gown." While still pretty, there's nothing here that give it a distinct look.

0_1530121506035_RedCarpetGownSheer.jpg

• @Glitterati3D Now that Tabala set I do have. Geeze, I haven't looked at these in a long time.

• @Glitterati3D I like that dress, Traci, but I disagree. I think, if the dress were a more solid color, like Black or white, the split would be more eye catching. I also wasn't looking for it to be quite THAT sheer.

• I have a question for the vendors. When I go to the stores like Rendo, CP or Hivewire, usually I'm not shopping by vendor, I'm shopping by what I need or want. So If I want shoes or skirts or blouses, for example, that's what I want to see. How would you feel if the stores would reorganize their stores to display products more like an actual catalog, versus by a vendor's store? Do you think that would help or hurt sales?

• @eclark1849 I doubt it would matter at all, but making things easier for the customer should always be at the top of the Things To Do list.

There's no ROI for a vendor on Poser products anymore.

Don't limit yourself to Poser products then. I do not create Poser products. I create Meshbox 3D products that are available in several different formats but are optimized to work well with Poser (and compatible with DAZ Studio). My job isn't to sell Poser. My job is to sell Meshbox 3D products.

There have been some products I have made that have paid for themselves in just a day or two. Others that take many months.

A great many vendors have handed control and expectations over to the brokerages. Brokerages have their own business models that are advantageous to them, but not necessarily for vendors. They are optimized for ease of making themselves a chunk of money and then discount binning, which means the skim the easiest to reach customers - some more than others.

I am not saying it is easy to sell to the Poser market - it is a very variable market, and many vendors were so crushed after the economy took a nose dive in 2008 that they never recovered. Don't bet only on one horse.

Plus, I will say this - many vendors don't look up and see beyond really small scale petty rivalries for cooperative marketing (and not exploitative marketing by a few brokerages).