Portugal... hmm...

• It has nothing to do with the size of the population :)

In Denmark, we're a mere 5 million people. We're not stupid, just because there's few of us. I dunno the figures of high school education here, but I would think it's pretty high. Just remember that the rest of the world don't necessarily has the same system of "schools" - in Denmark you have 9-10 years of "primary school", then 2-3 years of "high school" and then university (if that's the route you take) - you might also go directly to some other sort of educatioon, like a graphics education, right from "Primary School". The lack of a "High School" education doesn't mean you aren't educated, just that the systems aren't easily comparable.

• Poser Ambassadors

@trekkiegrrrl Same France

here the School system from France
    0_1530198864505_french-education-system-18-638.jpg

• Poser Ambassadors

Knowing, more or less how complicated the Poser code is, I really did not understand why they sacked everybody at once without one on one "know-how" transfer.

It takes a good but new team about a year to understand "what is".
    Then a year to finetune the code and prepare for the future.
    Then a year to "invent and implement" where they wanna go with the app, and at least another year of testing the new code and new additions.

Add an extra year if they also want to bring the existing content up to 2018-2019 standards.

Nationality is not so important because there are good engineers everywhere, but for an app like Poser you need a solid and motivated team.

I always thought it would go to Japan with their Manga culture and where any form of 2D and 3D is extremely popular but it seems Japan was too expensive too.

@eclark1849
    I always come to the USA for my vacations because living cost are 1/2 to 1/3 of Belgium. (Stay away from California, Florida or New-York. LOL.)
    @Ladonna
    I also visit France often. if you think France is expensive? Come to Belgium. LOL.

• Poser Ambassadors

@vilters Yeah Tony, whole Europe sucks with taxes. They get out of control with this. Macron raise the taxes when he get elected and we had to pay April the difference from last year. 3800 € + the tax which would anyway be. Insane

• Poser Ambassadors

Ha-ha-ha-, be happy my dear. You only have to pay one government.
    We have to maintain 4 governments. (5 actually)

As i wrote somewhere else: I am retired. if I make ANYTHING on the side it is 66% taxes MINIMUM.

• Poser Ambassadors

@vilters They should go to hell whit this robbing out people.
    At last we here in France have again manifestations against new taxes. It is anyway a French hobby to have manifestations . We are against everything .lol

• @vilters Who the HELL, puts mayonnaise on French Fries, and for the love of God, WHY?????

• @eclark1849 said in Portugal... hmm...:

@vilters Who the HELL, puts mayonnaise on French Fries, and for the love of God, WHY?????

For the same reason I dip mine in mustard - it tastes good.

Don’t act like an ugly ‘Murikan.

• @ssgbryan Mustard I can understand.

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849 Belgium people .

@ssgbryan Mustard I can understand.

Good thing you aren’t eating at my house. Ketchup used to come in vastly different flavors. For the 4th of July, I make applesauce ketchup for my dogs, burgers, and fries. For thanksgiving leftovers, I slather that leftover turkey with cranberry ketchup.

• Poser Ambassadors

@vilters ***Knowing, more or less how complicated the Poser code is, I really did not understand why they sacked everybody at once without one on one "know-how" transfer.

It takes a good but new team about a year to understand "what is".
    Then a year to finetune the code and prepare for the future.
    Then a year to "invent and implement" where they wanna go with the app, and at least another year of testing the new code and new additions.***

tony, what are you dreaming about?
    No one Company gives you nowadays 2 year to jump in a project. Eat or die. This is the motto.

• @vilters said in Portugal... hmm...:

Add an extra year if they also want to bring the existing content up to 2018-2019 standards.

Not if you are talking the figures, the associated clothing poses and materials, and then on top of that add the toons, the animals, the props, and so on. With an average of 2-4 weeks per item or set, you're talking several years to update the whole lot, some being more work than others. It took me over a month to update the 30-something pieces in "The Pad", for example.

Take, for example, that some of the old animals are UV mapped in half, so the opposite side is an exact mirror. A good deal of the geometry is unwelded and asymmetrical. All of the pre-Poser 9 content was not built for subdivision.

I think, rather than furnishing all of that old ancient content with Poser, they should pull it out of the base application and put it up on CP as freebies so that those who still want access to it can have it. Then they can build up a new set of library content that comes with Poser over time.

• @Deecey

Oh! Add to that that there are several props that don't even have UV maps, and are just assigned solid colors.

• @Deecey said in Portugal... hmm...:

I think, rather than furnishing all of that old ancient content with Poser, they should pull it out of the base application and put it up on CP as freebies so that those who still want access to it can have it. Then they can build up a new set of library content that comes with Poser over time.

That would be the best solution indeed.
    I have proposed to make updates/modifications of the stuff redistributable under the same lock that protects the old runtimes it was distributed under, so those who want can give it a try.

• @Ladonna

It's already been 19 months since the old team was let go. Coming on close to 2 years already.

Poser 11 was released Nov 2015. Almost three years ago.

8-(

• Poser Ambassadors

@Deecey I guess they change a lot of stuff. Hope we know more soon :)
    But today, companies don't let you grow in a new project for 3 years, adopt it quick and work on it, otherwise you can go.
    It is a shark pool all over now.

• @Deecey Poser 11.1 was released just this past December, and they made a few enhancements. If they're looking to "buy some time" they may release at least one more update with a few significant changes or improvements. I hope they don't waste it on trying to improve content.

• I didn't call anyone from Portugal good or bad. It's just a matter of the size of the workforce and the traditions of the place.

A reason I would understand very well for a reasoning for such a move would be like this:

• EU has a large and very skillful workforce in 3D programming, as proven by the vast number of 3D companies based in France, Germany, Belgium, UK (for now, at least), etc...
    • Anyone from EU can work in Portugal, therefore a company has access to vast resource pool
    • Portugal has some particular law/tax/whatever conditions that make it beneficial to be based there

Then the idea of using Portugal as a front door for the rest of the EU is perfectly logical. But, salaries in the EU can be very high. So that concept has the problem that salaries in the rest of the EU are really quite similar if not higher to equivalent ones in the US...

Therefore, the motivation must be to pay less for programming work.

Well, the average -yearly- salary of a programmer in India is $6,000. So $20,000 per year will get top of the line resources. Unless there are several equally excellent people in Portugal willing to work for $20,000/year, one can really save more money by restructuring in India rather than Portugal.

As human beings, we all value and appreciate everybody else. But the hard world of corporate financials is really an insect world, driven by very simple and harsh laws, where our common sense of decency don't really matter very much. In that world, I can't get why Portugal instead of India or China or South Korea.

@vilters Who the HELL, puts mayonnaise on French Fries, and for the love of God, WHY?????

Me. Because it TASTES wayyyyyy better than ketchup. Whoever thought ketchup and fries was a good idea? :P