Portugal... hmm...

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849 I know, and this is why we call them patate fritte.

• @eclark1849 said in Portugal... hmm...:

French Fries aren't named after the nation, but the cut of the potatoes. They're "Frenched". Hence "French Fries".

One explanation for thinking it refers to the nationality is that way back in WW I American soldiers had mistaken fries eating Belgian soldiers for French soldiers. Similar uniforms and sometimes language but nevertheless, enter cliché about Americans and their geographical knowledge here.

• @amethystpendant said in Portugal... hmm...:

and everyone else, they are not fries, they are chips!

You are (soon, very soon) out of the EU, you have no vote in this.

• Poser Ambassadors

@DarthJ LOL

• Poser Ambassadors

@DarthJ Also pomme frittes. And because of this, Germans call it pommes frittes . Pomm-es fri-ttes . Without accent Française.

• Poser Ambassadors

Well, with all these potato's, they are not gonna starve in Portugal. LOL.

• I've always had a fondness for Portuguese tarts... [Uuuuhhhhmmm...] Custard, of course ;-) [blush]

• One explanation for thinking it refers to the nationality is that way back in WW I American soldiers had mistaken fries eating Belgian soldiers for French soldiers. Similar uniforms and sometimes language but nevertheless, enter cliché about Americans and their geographical knowledge here.

Those French soldiers must have been bad ass if they can teach fries to eat Belgian soldiers.

• @meshbox said in Portugal... hmm...:

One explanation for thinking it refers to the nationality is that way back in WW I American soldiers had mistaken fries eating Belgian soldiers for French soldiers. Similar uniforms and sometimes language but nevertheless, enter cliché about Americans and their geographical knowledge here.

Those French soldiers must have been bad ass if they can teach fries to eat Belgian soldiers.

Look closer, it says the fries were eating the soldiers.

• If I remember correctly I saw something about Smith Micro already having a presence in Portugal, so in that respect it makes sense to move the team there.

• @DarthJ said in Portugal... hmm...:

@amethystpendant said in Portugal... hmm...:

and everyone else, they are not fries, they are chips!

You are (soon, very soon) out of the EU, you have no vote in this.

But we will be able to vote for anything that affects us, unlike now ;-p

• You were able to vote on anything that concerned you, usually "nay" (as for Schengen, Euro, ID cards, etc...). Now the EU will take those decisions without your consent. And you will still feel the consequences.
    I do hope the UK produces enough potatoes for those chips because foreign imports will become expensive.

• But you will still be welcome in this country, as shown here :

You may recognize one of my freebies in this scene.

• @DarthJ said in Portugal... hmm...:

You were able to vote on anything that concerned you, usually "nay" (as for Schengen, Euro, ID cards, etc...). Now the EU will take those decisions without your consent. And you will still feel the consequences.
    I do hope the UK produces enough potatoes for those chips because foreign imports will become expensive.

No, our government, thank goodness, agreed opt outs on those things, if we are unhappy with the policies of our government, we can vote for a replacement, this we, nor anyone in the EU can do for say the European Commission which is an appointed body, not an elected one.

The pound has already had the devaluation as a result of the vote, making imports more expensive, but exports more attractive, if we are no longer bound by the antiquated CAP, home grown potatoes for our chips will no longer be affected by subsidies to inefficient farmers in the EU.

This is my last word on this as it probably violates the rules of the forum ;o)

• @eclark1849 didn't you make some chips/fries props to go with your steak? (or is my stomach overriding my brain with wishful thoughts of food) ;-)

• @amethystpendant

One correction before we close because people from other places in the world may be left with a wrong impression: the European Commission is appointed by the (elected) governments of the member states and needs approval from the (elected) EU parlement. The situation therefore is not essentially different from government formation in most EU member states. I know of no place where goverment is directly elected. EU has no monarch or president in power so the combined governments take that role.

• @anomalaus Yeah, I did, but apparently us backward folks here in the States should have served them up with Fish instead of steak. Well, at least I made the beer. :)

• @fverbaas said in Portugal... hmm...:

@amethystpendant

One correction before we close because people from other places in the world may be left with a wrong impression: the European Commission is appointed by the (elected) governments of the member states and needs approval from the (elected) EU parlement. The situation therefore is not essentially different from government formation in most EU member states. I know of no place where goverment is directly elected. EU has no monarch or president in power so the combined governments take that role.

Er, POTUS?

Some treaties need all member state approval, e.g. Lisbon (as this thread is about Portugal) The Republic of Ireland voted to reject that treaty, result, have another vote until you give the answer the EU requires.

• @amethystpendant
    This should not be continued here but since you insist one last expanation to the rest of the world:

• US system of government forming was copied from French system. Similar model was copied for the EU, with the EU council acting in similar role as French president. Direct election of the ministers that make up a government would create an authority deadlock. Parlement is checking the work of the ministers and parlement has the power to send the ministers home. This would not be possible if the ministers were elected. If both parlement and minister are elected then which election would be more important than the other?
    • No idea how the Irish referendum comes in but that was an Irish national happening. Nothing to do with EU other than that changes in EU regulations happened to be the subject of the referendum.

I suggest we stop this far deviation from topic here.

• All comes down to cost, they had a great team and I was really excited about the future of Poser going forward before this. Smith Micro either searched for or was approached with the cheapest deal in town and a promise that the job could still be done at this reduced cost so they pounced on it. If people from the moon came down tomorrow and offered to do the job for even cheaper, they would be our new Poser devs before you know it.