Superfly and bad antialiasing

• 0_1530683894349_antialiasing.png
    I'm now at a point where I'm really wondering if there is any way around this... or if I have to contact Smith Micro and put this down to a bug.

I've tried changing the background colour to black, I've plugged the Holdout shader into the background Color, I've used a backdrop with the Holdout shader applied... but even then, when I export the animation to images (pngs) I'll keep getting the bad antialiasing on random frames exported. You'll see the slight white glow around the skin on the left one that isn't present on the right one.

Soo... I'm kinda out of ideas, but before I email SM, is there anything else I could try? (besides going back to using Firefly)

• @Cobra I think SMS need all the feedback you can give on problems like this.

Just a thought that in case it's a PNG Alpha export issue (I seem to remember that Poser now supports Alpha channels in PNG files to a limited extent) is it possible to try exporting your animation to a different image format, like TIFF, for instance?

I'm just going to check and see if I can find the Alpha reference (it might be in release notes, if not the latest Poser manual).
    0_1530694811683_Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 6.59.48 pm.png

• Try using a different file format than PNG.

The PNG format specification requires straight alpha channels. Most other file formats use premultiplied alpha. Many applications ignore that difference and treat PNG like anyone else, which leads to problems when there are PNG files written by an application that follows the specification.

• Thanks for trying to help me out @anomalaus & @stefan, I would like to try a different image format to see... but unfortunately, while my options for video output are plentiful, it looks like only one of these would export all my frames as images, the already selected Image Files that gives me these pngs. (If there is a hidden setting somewhere that can let me change this I'd be willing to give that a go.)
    0_1530708234055_Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 10.07.05 pm.png

• After you select image files, it should present a requester which allows you to select file format,
    0_1530709613922_imagechoice.jpg

• D'oh! Thanks @willyb53, clicking save right after selecting Make Movie had become so automated in my brain I had absolutely no memory of having a file type selection. I'll give other formats a try now.

• Awesome, thanks everyone. It looks like it may be the way Poser creates PNGs. The TIFs came out fine. I'll keep testing for a bit to make absolutely sure, then forward this onto Smith Micro as a bug. If I could rename the topic, I'd call it PNGs and bad antialiasing.

• @Cobra could also be an idiosyncrasy of the png format.

• Poser Ambassadors

@stefan's comment above indicates that Poser is creating PNG files correctly for the format specification, so would not be a bug. @stefan is one of the former dev team who created multiple versions of Poser; his posts are worth paying attention to ;)

• I'd like to ask Stefan how the Dev team decided what bugs or problems would be fixed for the next version. I'm not asking for any trade secrets, just some insight as to what they were thinking at the time. Case in point the Collapsible Hierarchy. I've seen that on so many wishlists over the years and it's the first thing to pops to my mind now. So why didn't it ever happen? Was it just too difficult to do without breaking something else? Just not important enough to worry about? Or you actually solved the problem one night while partying but got so blitzed that everyone forgot it the next day? :)

• Poser Ambassadors

Earl, I don't think Stefan is allowed to answer questions like this.

Here a general response. (not SM, not Poser, not old, or new dev team related)

All software companies file bugs and enhancement request by importance and end users impact.

2 Extreme cases :
    A bug can be very important (but no show stopper).
    But the bug is in a part of the software that only a handful of experienced end users ever work with.
    => This degrades the urgency to fix, because the number of end users of that part of the software is relatively small, are experts anyway, and "know" their way around the bug already.

A bug (or enhancement request) can be relatively small, but if it enhances the end user experience for EVERY end user, it become a high priority, because it makes the app better for EVERYBODY.

This goes for EVERY part of the software.
    A preview bug, large or small is "relatively unimportant" because nobody does final rendering in preview anyway.
    UNLESS ! ! Unless there are many official requests to do final rendering in preview => Nbr of reports filed.

Hence again, the requirement to file properly documented reports through the proper channels.

• @vilters He's not allowed to tell us why SM won't give us a collapsible Hierarchy?

• @vilters said in Superfly and bad antialiasing:

Earl, I don't think Stefan is allowed to answer questions like this.

Here a general response. (not SM, not Poser, not old, or new dev team related)

All software companies file bugs and enhancement request by importance and end users impact.

2 Extreme cases :
    A bug can be very important (but no show stopper).
    But the bug is in a part of the software that only a handful of experienced end users ever work with.
    => This degrades the urgency to fix, because the number of end users of that part of the software is relatively small, are experts anyway, and "know" their way around the bug already.

A bug (or enhancement request) can be relatively small, but if it enhances the end user experience for EVERY end user, it become a high priority, because it makes the app better for EVERYBODY.

This goes for EVERY part of the software.
    A preview bug, large or small is "relatively unimportant" because nobody does final rendering in preview anyway.
    UNLESS ! ! Unless there are many official requests to do final rendering in preview => Nbr of reports filed.

Hence again, the requirement to file properly documented reports through the proper channels.

You know, in the past I've even asked for an example of a properly documented report to look at just so we know we're doing it right. Didn't get that either. That's just a quick little pdf or text file. Even an ambassador who makes video tutorials could make one of those, Tony. ;)

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849
    I can not talk for SM or Stefan, but there where and still are far more important bugs to fix then collapsible hierarchy. (and that is not a bug but an enhancement)

The hierarchy is on my priority page 1 for more then one serious-serious issue, and some can be seen as critical/ to crash.

The "collapsible hierarchy" is very low on my personal priority list because it is not a bug, nothing broken, pure operational enhancement. All it costs the end user are some mouse clicks.

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849
    For the record:

Dee wrote the manuals and did content.
    Stefan was the render engine guru ; FireFly and SuperFly and the math room. :-)

Sorry guys, but the Material room is the Math room. LOL. (ask BB) LOL.

• You have a point @caisson.
    Considering the random nature of the antialiasing with exported PNGs, would this still be worth submitting a bug request to SM about @stefan?

Either way, I'm grateful I now have a workaround I can use to get around it.

• @Cobra

Stefan is one of the old Poser team members that was let go a year and a half ago. He no longer works for SM.

• @vilters said in Superfly and bad antialiasing:

@eclark1849
    I can not talk for SM or Stefan, but there where and still are far more important bugs to fix then collapsible hierarchy. (and that is not a bug but an enhancement)

The hierarchy is on my priority page 1 for more then one serious-serious issue, and some can be seen as critical/ to crash.

The "collapsible hierarchy" is very low on my personal priority list because it is not a bug, nothing broken, pure operational enhancement. All it costs the end user are some mouse clicks.

With all due respect, Tony, enough of those mouse clicks added up could cost Poser some customers. There's nothing wrong with Poser making things easier for it's customer base. Maybe if they don't feel as if they have to fight with the software or re invent the wheel in order to get something to work they way they want, they would enjoy the experience a lot more.

• @vilters It is NOT the math room. And, most specifically, not properly referred to just because YOU said so.

This coming from someone who can't even figure out how to texture a figure that doesn't look like a blow up doll.

Perhaps you need to learn some MATH, Tony. Then you might stop redefining what other people do with Poser.

• @eclark1849 said in Superfly and bad antialiasing:

@vilters He's not allowed to tell us why SM won't give us a collapsible Hierarchy?

I can't speak for SMSI. My affiliation with them ended in 2016.