Dynamic cloth under stress

• @adp said in Dynamic cloth under stress:

I tried hours with a low-poly model. No chance. Even not if denser on the critical parts. Because to mutch different poly-sizes results in deformation, poke-trough or randomly exploding vertices even on spots not under stress.I assume the reason is that the clothpiece is very tight.

A problem with increasing the density in certain areas is that unless you create a separate cloth group for the denser area, it skews the settings, those denser areas becoming effectively heavier and more "stretchy", which of course can be an advantage but needs to be taken into account.

• @amethystpendant Yes, I know. I tried with smooth transitions between areas. But from low to high density is not enough room.
    Now I think I have a good compromise. It needs a reasonable combi of mesh construction, density and parameters. I just made another dress to test. Time between frames: 2 secs. Time needed to fix flaws after using the cloth-room: 0.0 secs :)

• Here is the fresh dress I made. Without finetuning.
    0_1531845109625_Dress-A2.png
    0_1531845125551_Dress-A1.png

My conclusion: Clothmakers can output several Clothpieces a week if they become familar with the clothroom and have a good workflow (and enough ideas).

• What about the material settings like friction, inline stretchiness, bending, etc.

• @eclark1849 On this I have only fold- and stretch-resistence reduced. I'll post other pictures soon and also the settings.

• @adp Do you allow the dress to drape before the sim begins?

• @eclark1849 Yes, I do. But this is not required here. The dress is very tight and does not fall down mutch.
    I need rund about an hour more before I can upload new images (have to render some things first).

A few infos beforehand: As I said, the dress is modelled very tight to the body. Mesh density is a compromise to have enough polys to get polys small enough where the cloth folds most. The density is near to Roxies density (so, not so mutch :).

Because of the two cuts on the bottom of the dress even a knee-pose is possible with this short skirt. I'm really surprised what Posers clothroom is capable of.

Here is the form of the dress (seen from my modeler preview)
    0_1531860167580_Bildschirmfoto vom 2018-07-17 22-10-02.png
    (Yes, the shoulders will stay in form if the arms are down)

• Here is the unbelievable pose with a very short skirt.
    0_1531861260238_Dress-A5.png

There are 3 dyn-groups defined:

1. Soft decorated. This group has all the hem (one single vertex on the folded border) and the whole collar.
    2. The hem around all openings. 3 Vertices high, right beside the soft decorated group. This group is "harder" than the rest of the fabric (like a real hem). This, and the Soft decorated part is enough to hold the shoulders in form. They do not fall down (the 60 frame animation makes some arm movements, up and down, forth and back, before and while the figure goes on the knees). And this two groups make a nice hem while simulating thickness.
    3. The main fabric. Friction here is reduced, Stretch resistance set to 40, Shear- and Fold-Resistance a bit reduced. Cloth Density reduced to 0.0030.

I made a script for my modeler able to output vertices into a file that Poser can read. This is a big plus, because it's practically impossible to select lots of vertices in Poser.
    (More later)

• Here are the defined groups.
    Soft Decorated (1 vertex high)
    0_1531862972745_Bildschirmfoto von 2018-07-17 23-24-57.png

The hem (3 vertices high)
    0_1531863050692_Bildschirmfoto von 2018-07-17 23-25-17.png

And another image, round about frame 25, moving arms:
    0_1531863225639_Dress-A6.png

• Here is the last one for today – showing that the mesh is not denser than Roxies (except the borders).
    0_1531863926177_Bildschirmfoto von 2018-07-17 23-43-07.png

Maybe I'll upload my setup as a Poser-Scene to ShareCG tomorrow (german time). The clothpiece is free to use anyway (trousers also). But I have to make sure nothing in the scene is copyright-protected (don't think it is, but I have to make sure).

• Couldn't resist – I had to add some morphs :)
    0_1531866578393_Dress-A7.png

• @adp was it the broken ankle that triggered her air bags? ;-)

• @adp Just curious if you used EZCloth to add the extra control of ClothClothForce and BendRate?

• @anomalaus The broken ankle is a result from kneeling down with a speed of hundert times per hour wearing cloth not made for gym :)

• @amethystpendant said in Dynamic cloth under stress:

@adp Just curious if you used EZCloth to add the extra control of ClothClothForce and BendRate?

No, I didn't.

• @adp said in Dynamic cloth under stress:

I made a script for my modeler able to output vertices into a file that Poser can read. This is a big plus, because it's practically impossible to select lots of vertices in Poser.
    (More later)

Interesting. In the past I've defined special material zones to make it easier to select the dynamic zones I wanted, but of course the minumum selection size is then a facet. You can't define a vertex or a line of vertices this way. You're also left with additional materials in your cloth which may not be useful.

I'll be interested to see how that works.

• @adp Why is the split in the front of the skirt in the Soft Decorated Cloth Group?

• @englishbob said in Dynamic cloth under stress:

@adp said in Dynamic cloth under stress:

(More later)

Interesting. In the past I've defined special material zones to make it easier to select the dynamic zones I wanted, but of course the minumum selection size is then a facet. You can't define a vertex or a line of vertices this way. You're also left with additional materials in your cloth which may not be useful.

I'll be interested to see how that works.

The way I would (have) do(ne) this is to have a material group for the edge one facet deep, another after that, either for the hem or just the cloth. Go into grouping and assign the 1 face depth material as soft decorated. Then go to dynamic group and add the adjacent material, that will effectively remove the second layer of verts from the soft decorated group leaving you with just the one row of verts on the edge

• @englishbob said in Dynamic cloth under stress:

@adp said in Dynamic cloth under stress:

(More later)

I did it the same way a long time.

C4D has a lot of possibilities to define groups of vertices, edges and polygons. And a lot of tools to select them. Very easy. Selecting vertices in Blender is also easy (and most other modelers too) .

My script outputs all defined vertexgroups from the selected object to a PZ2-file in the form:

{
    version 
        {
            number 9
        }
    actor $CURRENT
        {

vertsGroup Center_vt
    		{
    			v 62
    			v 67
    			v 72
                            v ...
                    }
            vertsGroup Belt_vt
                    {
                    }
        }
    }

After loading the object into Poser all I have to do is to click on that file and the vertexgroups gets loaded.

Another idea is to define vertexgroups from an UV-map. But this works only for one group per image (or groups must be color-coded).

• @adp That is brilliant! I did for a while script out the vertex groups I would use in Poser (from Blender) then manually edit the PZ2 file pasting them in, I had no idea you could load vert groups like this. Can this be done for polygroups as well, as this would mean I could create this file on the fly in python and then load it.