Dynamic cloth under stress

• Sorry forgot to add: make sure each and every facet of the mannequin has its normals pointing outward in the direction you would want to send a clothing vertex gone astray.
    If the figure has 'socks' make sure they are kept and toes are deleted.

• @fverbaas Again: Thanks for the detailed information.

Now we need a method to make that possible for the normal Poser user :)

• @adp
    LOL! I realized a lot of Pro 11 functionality used there. Sorry about that.

Alternatives:
    I have no experience with Blender or so.

For Paul/Pauline that are merchant resources, a mannequin could be made and distributed.
    For figures other than these one would have to do with approximations. Distributing shrink-wraps is frowned upon and should not be done without permission by the makers of the figures. Same holds of course for the morph sets.

The Marvelous Developer version of the Prefitter-cr2 comes with a set of MD definitions of fitted suits for various figures. Those wanting mannequins for their figures could use those definitions in the free one month trial of MD to produce geometries with their own fits and morphs.
    This process could be scripted.

• @fverbaas Maybe a morphset cold be a good start.

• By the way: I needed a bit more then half an hour to make my "Butterfly Dress" fit Evolution One.

I used (3) weightmaped magnets and a bit morphbrush to do it.

Using magnets has some adventages: A magnet-set, once made, can probably be reused. And easily corrected. And in the process of moving vertices around all details are preserved. Nothing goes flat.

I made some sceenshot while I did it. So I can show and describe the process if someone is interested.

• Here is flared skirt I just made.
    Challenge: The folds should fall back to the defined position after heavy movement. I came up with this tyype of geometry:
    0_1532790308799_skirt A1.png

And here is a quick render:
    0_1532790367843_skirt B1.png

And yes, it worked :) After 100 frames walking and swinging the skirts looks nearly the same at the end as in the first frame (I added additional 30 Frames to go in the zero position and let the cloth settle).

Setup: As usual a hem in the Soft Decorated group (the bottom row of vertices), then the waistband as Constrained Group and the rest is one group with Cloth Density set to 0.0020 and Stretch Resistance set to 200. Thats all. The skirt behaves like I wished because of the mesh design.

Here is a close-up to show more:
    0_1532791330040_skirt A2a.png

• Sorry, the last image was not from my modeller but pre-made for Roxie (settled 20 frames).
    The original is a setup to (more or less auto-) generate meshes for any figure:
    0_1532793119672_skirt A2b.png

• Here is an image where the skirt is stretched and lost folds:
    0_1532839337868_skirt B2.png

The folds are restored after 30 frames – but an "accident" glued the fabric together. Now I have to find out why this happend :/

0_1532839555991_skirt A2c.png

• @adp Can I suggest you use EZCloth and set the ClothClothForce high (I use 980 0r even the max 1000) this helps to prevent cloth self intersections which is what the error above looks like (though just guessing here)

• @amethystpendant Thanks, but I try to get it right as close as possible with standard parameters.
    As you can see the error occurs where the polygons are big compared to the other ones. And the intersecting poly is a small one, part of the decorated group.

I want to explore this deeper. But I'm in at a journey at the moment. Will come back to this later.

• @adp Have you tried constructing the skirt as a flat horizontal disk? This way, when the skirt falls down during animation, there should be a lot of extra material which doesn't easily disappear (in compression) but which should create the folds?

• @adp said in Dynamic cloth under stress:

As you can see the error occurs where the polygons are big compared to the other ones. And the intersecting poly is a small one, part of the decorated group.

Is the whole poly a member of the decorated group or just the edge verts?

• @amethystpendant Only one vert (the bottom row). I also think this is the point where the problem is.

I forgot my powersuply yesterday as I left home. Ordered a new one this morning. But it takes 2 days until it gets delivered. Until then I can't look into it.

• @Bytefactory3D said in Dynamic cloth under stress:

@adp Have you tried constructing the skirt as a flat horizontal disk? This way, when the skirt falls down during animation, there should be a lot of extra material which doesn't easily disappear (in compression) but which should create the folds?

But you have no control if you do it this way. Mostly the backside will be to short, because of the but. And, most important, no control how the folds flow. For this model it is also important that the folds recover after stretching how they where defined at the start.

• @adp said in Dynamic cloth under stress:

@Bytefactory3D said in Dynamic cloth under stress:

@adp Have you tried constructing the skirt as a flat horizontal disk? This way, when the skirt falls down during animation, there should be a lot of extra material which doesn't easily disappear (in compression) but which should create the folds?

But you have no control if you do it this way. Mostly the backside will be to short, because of the but. And, most important, no control how the folds flow. For this model it is also important that the folds recover after stretching how they where defined at the start.

Depending on the race and build of the girl, aren't most skirts hiked up a bit in back anyway?

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849 you got a point there. ;)

• @eclark1849
    yes, I agree. Also it would be easy to make the disc a little wider radius for the back side and a shorter radius in front. It would also look great if the radius on the sides would be smaller than in front or back side. When I suggested a disc, it was only for the basic approach.

Then about the folds: can't we assign areas of more stretching/folding and areas with less of these, so to influence the building of folds as desired? I'm getting really curious now. Stretch resistance should basically also work in the other direction, like 'compression resistance', right? And folding the same?

• @Bytefactory3D if you think about how a kilt or other pleated skirt is manufactured (though I observe that the pleating on @adp 's skirt appears only at the top, so it doesn't have strong creases all the way to the bottom hem), rather than having the folds as weaker material, more likely to bend than the pleats between them, it's more likely that the creases are ironed or heat treated in the first place, and so less likely to flatten out, thus requiring them to be modelled into the skirt in the first place. It would probably require the same treatment that @adp has done for hems, by making the actual crease a soft decorated group which would retain it's pleated bend, rather than flatten completely during simulation.

• @Bytefactory3D Think about an animation. It does not look good if a piece of cloth looks completely different at the start then it looks at the end of a movement.

If we can design cloth behaving a certain way makes things simpler then fiddle with vertex groups (and a lot of trail and error).

This test with this skirt is not only about skirts but cloth in general. Too much dyn-cloth out there has it's form by accident instead of planning. And will lose it if the figure is moved to much.

• @Bytefactory3D said in Dynamic cloth under stress:

@eclark1849
    yes, I agree. Also it would be easy to make the disc a little wider radius for the back side and a shorter radius in front. It would also look great if the radius on the sides would be smaller than in front or back side. When I suggested a disc, it was only for the basic approach.

Then about the folds: can't we assign areas of more stretching/folding and areas with less of these, so to influence the building of folds as desired? I'm getting really curious now. Stretch resistance should basically also work in the other direction, like 'compression resistance', right? And folding the same?

The disc method is how I made the Long dynamic gown for PE. And it took some trial-and-error before it ended up with an approximately equal length all around ;)
    0_1533035176631_e19924c5-7475-48c0-b20c-c337a67d2a33-image.png
    (and yes, I see the poke-thru. Now ... -_- )