Conforming cloth as a prop - possible?

• Hi there!

I have another one of my peculiar questions for you guys :).

is it possible to convert a conforming cloth figure in to a conforming prop? I know it sounds strange, and my logic and understanding tells me the answer is no (since in order to conform, the cloth needs to have different parts, etc...thus making him a figure and not a prop).

the main reason for this is because octane is not getting information regarding to changes in vertices in figures, for some reason (and I can't hope for a fix, at the moment :( ). turning a figure into a prop fix this - but if the cloth was a conforming one, it won't be conforming any longer. tough...

• No, not a conforming prop. There is no such thing.

If you want the cloth to conform, it must have the same groups as the figure and adding groups require it being saved as a figure, not a prop.

In order to conform a clothing item must contain the same bones as the figure.

• @Glitterati3D as I suspected. makes sense. so I hope SM will fix this known issue some day and we could work with dynamics on figures-->render in octane.

thanks!

• @Glitterati3D said in Conforming cloth as a prop - possible?:

No, not a conforming prop. There is no such thing.

If you want the cloth to conform, it must have the same groups as the figure and adding groups require it being saved as a figure, not a prop.

In order to conform a clothing item must contain the same bones as the figure.

Yes, BUT...

A few years back, Poser did allow users to change the file suffix and allow users to store conforming figures in the props library. The reason is because TECHNICALLY, clothing is a prop. I believe this is also around the same time, the Setup room started placing the obj files in the character folder instead of geometry.

• @eclark1849

BTW, just in case someone thinks I'm just talking out my @$$, Here's the quote from the reference manual,

Poser lets you add props to your scene. Props are three-dimensional objects that
    your figures can interact with or that simply add interest to your scene. Props can be
    accessories to add to your figure’s character such as a wig, a moustache, a pair of
    sunglasses, a cigar, or a briefcase. Or, your figure could base its pose on a prop, such
    as leaning on a cane, climbing a ladder, or tossing a ball. This chapter covers hair,
    conforming (figure-based) clothing, and miscellaneous props not fitting into these
    categories. Poser treats conforming clothing items like figures, however we will treat
    conforming clothing as props in this chapter for the sake of discussion.

• You can freely change extensions and move files between the file amd character folders to suit your personal preference.

• @eclark1849 said in Conforming cloth as a prop - possible?:

@eclark1849

BTW, just in case someone thinks I'm just talking out my @$$, Here's the quote from the reference manual,

Poser lets you add props to your scene. Props are three-dimensional objects that
    your figures can interact with or that simply add interest to your scene. Props can be
    accessories to add to your figure’s character such as a wig, a moustache, a pair of
    sunglasses, a cigar, or a briefcase. Or, your figure could base its pose on a prop, such
    as leaning on a cane, climbing a ladder, or tossing a ball. This chapter covers hair,
    conforming (figure-based) clothing, and miscellaneous props not fitting into these
    categories. Poser treats conforming clothing items like figures, however we will treat
    conforming clothing as props in this chapter for the sake of discussion.

But that doesn't change the requirement that a clothing item must contain the same groups and bones as the figure to conform. It can be named a prop, but it cannot be rigged as a prop.

And that was the question.......a conformer as a prop without groups and bones for use in Octane.

• @ fverbaas, you're right"!
    In fact one can move any Poser file everywhere.

This applies to figures, hair figures as well as hair props, injection and body poses, hand poses, expressions, cameras, lights, props, even whole scenes!

That's how I organize my library, by keeping everything related in the same location.

You only have to be careful when a figure saved also saved a separate .obj file because you changed the grouping or material groups on that figure:
    In this case the .obj file must remain in the same subfolder as the .cr2 file.

And of course, you must NEVER touch any files/folders in the "Data", "Geometries", "Textures" folders of your Poser runtime!

ONLY move files between these library categories:

• -camera
    • -character
    • -Face
    • -Hair
    • -Hand
    • -Light
    • -Pose
    • -Props
    • -Scene
    • -(not sure about -Materials thus I didn't list it here. Proceed at your own risk)

Within these categories listed above, you can move content as you wish.
    The slight problem is that there may still be some companion files in the same folder, so better use Windows Explorer when moving folders to make sure that all relevant files are moved.

Do NEVER use Poser's own library to sort/move content!

Karina

• ADDENDUM because I can't EDIT:

Also don't move any of the "ego" folders within the "Libraries" folder, exept those native Poser folders/categories explicitly mentioned in the previous post!

All so often Poser assets use relative (..//thisfile) or even absolute ("runtime/libraries/thisfolder/thisfile") paths.

Result:
    The resources can not be found at all, or the Poser "Deep Search" takes an eternity to find the files (which it most of the time doesn't anyway)

-K-

• @gsfcreator:
    Have you tried this script:

http://d3d.sesseler.de/index.php?software=poserpython&product=figure2prop

It converts your conformed clothing item to a prop while retaining the current pose (the proper options checked).
    Parent that new clothing prop to your figure and export everything into Octane.

(NOTE: I never tried this because Octane is like the dark side of the moon to me, so this is just shooting in the dark...)

-K-

• @karina the question is, if I convert the figure into a prop by moving the files around - will it be presented as a prop (right side or the tree), and keep it's different conforming parts (also right side of the tree)? I have never seen anything like it.

regarding your suggestion to use the python: that's what I did, and doing, so far without the script: export to OBJ, import back, octane sees and renders. but the problem is this is a tedious workaround that I can consider using only for still images. for animation it's a no no, because I'll need to import a different prop for each and every frame, which is kinda crazy even for me (I did crazy stuff to get things done, in the past...but not that crazy :D ).

• Poser Ambassadors

A conforming clothing require the vertex groups and bones.
    A prop (or a smart prop) does not require the vertex groups and bones.

And here is the split between conventionally rigged figures and weightmapped figures.

On conventionally rigged figures :

• Smart props inherit bends from its parent AND one group/bone up AND one group/bone down.
      On conventionally rigged figures, you "can" create a miniskirt and "smart prop" it to the hip.
      The skirt will follow all bends, twist, side-side from the parent (hip), the abdomen or waist depending what comes first on the figure (one group UP) and from the left and right thigh (one group DOWN).

On weightmapped figures:

• Smart props do not inherit bends, twist or side-side movement from the groups UP or DOWN but only from its parent group (the hip in this case).
    • This one group UP or DOWN can however be used in the fitting room where you can get the clothing to follow all bends with MORE bones then vertex groups.
      For the same miniskirt, you only have to create the hip vertex group, but add the left and right thigh bones, and the shirt WILL follow all left and right thigh movements. (bend, twist and side-side)

Best regards, Tony

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.