Single Pane Billboards with Annoying Grey Outline

• I first asked this question at RO quite a few months ago and while I did get some suggestions, none really worked, so I thought I would ask here as it's a slightly different crowd.

How does this grey outline go away in Poser?
    Is it edited before taking into Poser?
    Can shader nodes do the trick?

Two were purchased and one is mine that I'm working on for personal use. First example is before rendering. The MOM set is pretty bad preview, my set has a smaller outline and the one from DS is perfect right out of the box.
    0_1531193866732_dc427522-dc75-40b3-9d61-fc70c0afd72d-image.png

This one is rendered and you can see the results.
    0_1531193927747_9c0472e1-f27d-4d31-be14-604b28030fc6-image.png

My render settings.
    0_1531193952637_76cb03cd-dfcb-493c-9322-af8ca07979d1-image.png

They were rendered against a black background to see the light outlines easier. My set is an exported psd to save with the transmap. I've tried png but get the same problem. I'm using P11Pro. I have the transmap in the material room set to Filter Quality None, Gamma set to 1.0, as suggested. I don't know what else can be done but I would sure like to be able to use the other 2 sets and why is the DS one so special that is works?

This is still working on the scene I asked about a few days ago that had to do with water reflecting onto a cave wall. That problem I have figured out with help here.

• @shadow_fyre what happens to the one from Daz when rendered over a white background? I suspect that these were made over a black background and that is why they look better in your example. Also going to be a matter of picture resolution. The ones on the left are probably lower res than the other two sets.

• Forgive the low lighting, I did forget to change it for the example renders and now I just want to be consistent. The background is white, the ground is still black. They all look good on the white background, lol, but I have tried the other 2 against different backgrounds and the outline never goes away. The MOM set is harder to judge image size, because multiple figures are put onto a background of 4000 x 4000. My set is 1334 x 1000 and the DS is 2048 x 2048.
    0_1531196289982_6ade0be7-73fd-4cef-96f0-ed48eb0aed58-image.png

• @shadow_fyre yeah, resolution is the key here. The ones on the left do not have the sharpness of the daz one on the right. 2048x2048 is 1/4 the size but that is prob 1 figure. How many figures they squeeze into the MOM maps?

• Have you already tried to change "Current BG shader" to "Black" under options?

• This post is deleted!

• @Cobra Thanks for the suggestion. These are already rendered and made into billboards.

• @shadow_fyre I would imagine that only using 1/4 of a 4000 square texture map is a waste of rendering memory. For me, rendering in SF with my GPU's, this would eat up precious render ram.

• @ghostship Ya, I didn't make the set, I'm just trying to use it :). I have multiple sets for that M.O.M system and all of them are like this. BTW, I forgot to mention in my stats I'm using Firefly. Oops

• @Cobra said in Single Pane Billboards with Annoying Grey Outline:

Have you already tried to change "Current BG shader" to "Black" under options?

I got to thinking about your question and then something dawned on me. So I tried it like you suggested, rendered just like usual but with render over black. Saved the psd then separated the 2 images and bingo! I think that did it.
    0_1531202259688_46613bdf-0229-4311-9d90-4d04310d4c60-image.png

This is a straight render turned to billboard with image and transmap with no editing and rendered on a simple square in front of a black background and no white line!!

Super excited to try more tomorrow to see if that really was the answer.

• @shadow_fyre Really glad that helped. :)
    I have been trying to get around the white glowing antialiasing myself so have been looking into this kind of thing recently.

• Re-rendering my billboards over black didn't make a difference. So I guess I'm back to square one. How to get rid of the white outlines from the billboards. The purchased MOM set I won't be able to use in Poser unless a fix can be found to eliminate the white outline. On the set I am making, I might be able to fix it by "refining" the mask in Photoshop from some info I found online. The DS set I can use right out of the box.

This is one of my remade images rendered over black before exporting to psd to become this billboard.
    0_1531242353011_6e653b82-754a-4213-9cc5-a75a1e56229d-image.png

• @shadow_fyre Maybe you can change to Superfly until you have a solution.
    For the following image I simpy made the "Ground" invisible and rendered a PNG file.

0_1531249682770_Roxie Face Sa.png

Overlayed with a photo it looks like so:

0_1531249813201_Roxie Face Sb.png

Same technique for this sample I did a few minutes ago with a checkerbord as background:

0_1531249915556_Dress Ea1.png

• 0_1531249643496_running 3.png

As you can see, I had that problem with some of my trees. What I ended up doing is shrinking the white part of the transmap a few pixels (1 or 2) by deleting the edges in a 2d program. As you can see below, the trees look much better. It's most noticeable on the tree right behind the guy on the far right.

0_1531249593969_44 Escape to Paosij.jpg

• You notice the light dark shadow around the hair left down below?
    I used DOF, so this part is more unsharp. And the hairshader used has transparency overall.

• Are those billboards brought back into Poser and rendered?

@adp said in Single Pane Billboards with Annoying Grey Outline:

@shadow_fyre Maybe you can change to Superfly until you have a solution.
    For the following image I simpy made the "Ground" invisible and rendered a PNG file.

Same technique for this sample I did a few minutes ago with a checkerbord as background:

• I could try that and see if I can figure it out. Thanks.

@redphantom said in Single Pane Billboards with Annoying Grey Outline:

As you can see, I had that problem with some of my trees. What I ended up doing is shrinking the white part of the transmap a few pixels (1 or 2) by deleting the edges in a 2d program. As you can see below, the trees look much better. It's most noticeable on the tree right behind the guy on the far right.

• @shadow_fyre said in Single Pane Billboards with Annoying Grey Outline:

Are those billboards brought back into Poser and rendered?

No. But I can try that. Will report.

• @redphantom
    I shrunk the black 3 pixels and it gave the best results. Thanks for the suggestion. I wish this could be done through the magic of math and the material room shaders. I have hundreds to do and that will be a lot of work.
    Before and after.
    0_1531253316531_58aa4785-5720-4421-acca-a99f30bb995c-image.png

• Thre's a transmap applied to these, right? Does the transmap have Gamma = 0?

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.