Should I give content creation another go?

• @vilters And yet, Roxie has issues with her rigging.

• @Lotharen They will not. Not without transferring rigging from the Advanced version to the base clothing rig.

Pauline rigging on Pauline Advanced without rig transfer
    0_1467569953495_PaulineClothingonAdvanced.jpg

• Poser Ambassadors

The only "serious-serious" issue with Roxie is a dependency in the thigh that is not symmetrical.

• @vilters In your opinion. I have another.

• Poser Ambassadors

It seems all figures have their issues based on individual standards and needs. I have just rediscovered Alyson2 with her expanded morphs and ethnic choices ... I love having quality Latin models. If we take the time to use the best model for each image. I have found most models since P5 usable at one point or other ... and I admit a primary use of DAZ's generation 4 & 3. I avoid the debates ... they get too heated. Having said that I am a devoted Poser user and advocate. I love the program. I would love to see content made for Alyson2, Kryan2, Pauline and Paul and the V4, M4, K4 figures and I am tentatively using Dawn and Dusk, I just hesitate having to start a new wardrobe all over again. That is my personal stand as a techie and pure image user as well.

• I encountered some issue with Roxie after doing a lot of modeling and rigging clothing for her. But, as someone in this thread said earlier - all the negativity isn't understandable, nor necessary, for Poser newbies.

I have no intention of hashing it out on the forum. I filed a bug report, it was ignored, I moved on. Easy.

Each user should make their own choices about what figure to use. After all, these figures are included with your copy of Poser so there's no harm in trying them out and coming to your own conclusions.

• Poser Ambassadors

@Ladonna said in Should I give content creation another go?:

@Lotharen No, the clothes does not fit her. Only the Dynamic clothes because she has extra bones.

If your speaking of Pauline Advanced here, that is not the case. Same number of bones.

• @Lotharen said in Should I give content creation another go?:

My one issue right now is where to start. Which figure should I make my first content for? Roxie, Pauline, Dawn, V4? Any ideas from those that are interested in content?

What figure do you use most?

• Poser Ambassadors

@vagabondallen said in Should I give content creation another go?:

Hello all!

A few years ago, I was a budding vendor with lots of ideas for content, and the marketing manager for a smaller marketplace within the community. Then two things happened. Major life events, such as the births of my two sons… and the “schism,” the point at which Daz opted to stop creating Poser-native figures.

However, with the recent events at RDNA, and things settling down on the homefront, I’ve been debating whether it’s wise to return to content creation. Till now, I’ve been a Poser user who managed to include DS support in his products, but I don’t know if I’m ready to abandon Poser altogether and make the jump to DS.

To help me make my decision, I was hoping the community could answer a few simple questions for me in this brief survey so I can better gauge the marketplace and community. Thanks so much for your time!

VagabondAllen

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1jbOLBOqCnYG9neKbTRjJOaxlupfefssuRUinhe2M3Iw/edit?userstoinvite=profotograf.antonio@gmail.com&ts=577492ee&actionButton=1

Sure, there's always a demand for new content, regardless of what software you're working with.

I think the real question is, can a content vendor make a decent living in today's market from making Poser-only content? It's really something that only an established Poser content vendor can answer, and a lot of them tend to remain silent on the issue. You can see some of the results though just by looking at what direction long-time vendors have gone.

If you want to make content and you like using Poser, then there's no reason not to make content for Poser. If you want to make a living, then there's a lot more research you have to put into it in order to make a decision on which platform - or both - to support. One thing is certain though, which is that a free platform is always going to have a larger potential user base than a paid platform has, especially when both have roughly the same target audience.

• @eclark1849 said in Should I give content creation another go?:

@Lotharen said in Should I give content creation another go?:

My one issue right now is where to start. Which figure should I make my first content for? Roxie, Pauline, Dawn, V4? Any ideas from those that are interested in content?

What figure do you use most?

Well, that has to be V4. I have the most content for her and M4. I figured making clothing for her would be far easier since she isn't weight mapped (I don't totally understand that concept yet). I did purchase the book 'How to make clothing for poser: A step-by-step guide' so hopefully it will guide me through some of it.

• Poser Ambassadors

@shvrdavid said in Should I give content creation another go?:

@Ladonna said in Should I give content creation another go?:

@Lotharen No, the clothes does not fit her. Only the Dynamic clothes because she has extra bones.

If your speaking of Pauline Advanced here, that is not the case. Same number of bones.

Sorry, I somehow had this in mind with Pauline Advance, I mix here something. Mea Culpa :)

• @Lotharen I would suggest starting out with the figure you're most familiar with then.

• The problem with making stuff for V4, M4 is that there is already a lot of it out there. DAZ has almost been giving it away recently. While DAZ might have the larger user base, Poser might turn out to have some niche markets that could be exploited by someone if they were willing to persevere.

• @j.naylor73 If you're just starting out my suggestion is to still stick with the figure you know. Also, make them freebies until you iron out all the kinks in your process and sharpen your skills. People are much more forgiving with freebie makers who may not may something perfect, than they are with sellers who they figure are just bad.
    Also, i've been preaching niche markets for Poser vendors for a while now. That's why I stick with the poser natives.

• Poser Ambassadors

Earl is correct here.
    First build your reputation with the figure you know best, and release in the freestuff sections.
    It will allow to finetune your workflow, and get the most forgiving feedback.

Poser only needs 3 things to function properly.

• a quality obj file (properly welded, properly grouped)
    • a solid cr2 or pp2
    • and some good diffuse textures

All the rest can come later.

• Survey is now closed. I'm compiling results. I'll share some of the most interesting data soon.

• Check out this PDF for a summary of the bulk of the results. In the spirit of positivity, I'm keeping the results of the last question from the survey to myself, but this data should be very eye-opening for my fellow content creators. Please share with any others you might think would enjoy seeing these results, and thanks again for taking the time to respond!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3ZAe3EgVEMxR1lLS2owdkszdWc

• If you have issues with the Google version, try this.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/107118560/Poser-DS_MarketplaceSurvey_Public.pdf

• @vagabondallen

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you ask what figures people use in Daz Studio? I thought the whole point was to determine whether of not to continue making things for Poser or move over to making things for DS. Seems like knowing what figures they're using in DS would be a prerequisite.

• Because I was more concerned if there was a market for Poser content worth pursuing. Seems like the DS market is pretty obvious, but with what happened with RDNA, I wanted to know if it was related to the Poser market exclusively or not. Since no one would likely tell me from the higher ups at either company, this was the next best thing.

Besides, it was never going to be a perfect survey. None ever are. It served my purposes.