TIP: If your optical mouse is behaving erratically

• OMG, I need to share this. My mouse was driving me crazy lately, especially after working some time in Poser. I use the dials extensively, so it's relatively precision positioning.

The dial would sometimes work, mostly after a couple of retries. Tapping up and down with the < and > got harder as well as the positioning went a little bit off. A little bit jerky, tiny annoyances getting worse.

Because it seemed to get worse when using Poser longer, my first thought of course was 'Stupid Poser'. But I noticed it was happening elsewhere as well. Only 'elsewhere' everything is much bigger, like buttons etc. No need to exactly hit a very small spot on the screen.

I use a dime-a-dozen optical mouse, so of course I was thinking of buying a new one. Looking on the internet (reinstall drivers, disable this or enable that, yada yada), even with statements like "When the cursor gets erratic, it's the mouse's nano-receiver at fault"

I finally found a site that knew what he/she was talking about:
    https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000253.htm

My case was: Optical portion of mouse is blocked

If you have an optical mouse (LED or laser) with erratic behavior, the optical eye is possibly blocked. It is not uncommon for a piece of hair or fuzz to block the sensor on the bottom of the mouse, preventing the optical sensor from working properly. Turn the mouse over and make sure there is no debris blocking the hole. Blowing into the hole usually removes any hair or fuzz that could cause problems.

Who would have thought? Well, not me, obviously. Lots of tiny hairs near the lense. Didn't even clean everything and my mouse is zipping along like it's new again.

Dials hard to drag? And when moving nothing-nothing-nothing-BOOM-from 0.000 to 2236.8 in one go? Not anymore!

Hope this helps a few of you out there!

• @BobM Neat tip. Thanks!

• @BobM
    As a cat owner, I've been used to cleaning my mouse ever since the old "balltype" ones. But still I sometimes fume and forget that something as simple as fuzz can make the mouse act up. So thanks for the reminder. I guess it's time to "de-cat" my mouse XD

• @trekkiegrrrl Actually, I remember the "olden" days when we would occasionally have to remove the roller ball from the mouse bottom and clean out the little rollers inside. It's amazing how much gunk can get it there.

• @eclark1849 Hi Earl, I really like your idea of www.3dcontentdirectory.com. Any chance of adding userratings to the various content creators? Nothing better than the feedback of fellow purchasers/users.

Another reason is that lately I've been into lightweight-lightweight-lightweight. I assemble my own templates for everything, like readymade town-, beach-, highway-, lake-, resort-scenes, mixing from various vendors. My current goal is to stay under 1 MB (compressed and PMD'd) for a basic scene. And you'd be surprised how often you can make that happen by changing out clunky and big items for similar lightweights. Poser really zips along then.

So if we could share that kind of info amongst ourselves, we could boost the vendors that make really elegant lightweight content (like Stonemason and TruForm) and entice others to maybe rethink things.

OK, maybe this goes a bridge too far, but adding userratings and review options would be quite cool.
    Bob

• @BobM I have no problems if you or someone else wants to start a vendor rating site or something of that nature. I do not think the directory should be involved as that's not my primary mission.

• @BobM said in TIP: If your optical mouse is behaving erratically:

@eclark1849 Hi Earl, I really like your idea of www.3dcontentdirectory.com. Any chance of adding userratings to the various content creators? Nothing better than the feedback of fellow purchasers/users.

Another reason is that lately I've been into lightweight-lightweight-lightweight. I assemble my own templates for everything, like readymade town-, beach-, highway-, lake-, resort-scenes, mixing from various vendors. My current goal is to stay under 1 MB (compressed and PMD'd) for a basic scene. And you'd be surprised how often you can make that happen by changing out clunky and big items for similar lightweights. Poser really zips along then.

So if we could share that kind of info amongst ourselves, we could boost the vendors that make really elegant lightweight content (like Stonemason and TruForm) and entice others to maybe rethink things.

OK, maybe this goes a bridge too far, but adding userratings and review options would be quite cool.
    Bob

TruForm isn't what I'd call lightweight. It's beautiful, but I bought an apartment recently and I can't even LOAD the thing on my computer O.o Poser craps out on me.
    I'm sad, because I really liked it. But as it isn't modular, I can't even load it room by room... And that's not lightweight at all. Unfortunately.

His cars are lovely, though :)

• @trekkiegrrrl ???? Which apartment do you mean?? I know I don't have everything, but I have a lot, once I found out you get oodles of small daily styff you can use in other scenes. I always parent his stuff to a character (Box4 to be precise, which is part of the std Poser loadset) and save. Mind you I use compress and external PMD, and I haven't a thing of his that is over 1 MB.

I have bought his luxury yacht and that thing is humongous in detail, levels with even an elevator. All blow-apart, and I added even more of my boxes, so I can lift a complete section of his ship in one go. But it doesn't weigh in at more than 965 KB in total...

• @BobM
    This one https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/?ViewProduct=100121
    It looks so nice. But nope. Poser freezes over when I try it :(

• @trekkiegrrrl I'm with you on the TruForm stuff. I've just quit buying any of it since you can't even hide a wall to get a decent camera angle (you can hide ALL the walls, just not individually).

It loads fine on my computer, but unless you plan to render the default setting with no humans inside, it's a pretty useless set of products. Though I agree, not lightweight by any means!

• @trekkiegrrrl Huh, OK, that one I don't have. But I do have his stuff like Modern Home, Luxury Home, DeLuxe House, Driveway Motel. No problems whatsoever. Although it has to work for Drive Motel. Even his lingerie store (only one I bought NOT on sale, and it was half price within a week on rendo (arrghh)).

You develop your own content so I assume you don't have a regular specced compu. Very strange.

With his luxury yacht he offers each deck also as a separate load. My box model lets it explode so easy and with a size penalty of just around 1 MB (ext PMD and compress) it handles so responsive I didn't bother with any split-ups after some testing.

0_1531493846255_Exploded View TF Lux Yacht.jpg

My puter is no miser, but also not state of the art being around 5 years old.
    But I do have 32 GB RAM, and 2 SSD for sys and swapfile.

• @Glitterati3D ermm, sorry, but I own a lot of his stuff and I don't recognize this at all. Please tell me which one you mean. From what I own: everything is built from props. (don't know about his cars, as I don't own any and he has a few clothing-ish items that are characters). But even his luxury yacht is built entirely from props.

And you can schlepp, hide, and/or re-use all of this stuff as individual items.
    And I see progress, as his walls more and more tend to be built up from small individual items instead of being one big wall.

Of course it's wise to do some reshuffling of the prop parenting in hierarchy editor, so all ceiling lamps lift away when you lift away the ceiling for example, or the chairs move with a table if you move it.

But imo he creates the most versatile stuff I've seen from vendors, which is why I'm such a fan.

And to go lightweight you do have to use compression and external PMD.
    His yacht weighs in at 38,3 MB as .pp2, but has shrunken to 0,98 MB after I've put it in my Box character container and saved it compressed.

Out of the top of my head only Stonemason produces stuff that are lightweight out of the box.

• @Glitterati3D does the camera hither setting not give you the ability to hide everything less than a specified distance from the camera? I know there were times when older versions of Poser didn't match the Preview and Render hither settings, but it seems to work in Poser 11.
    0_1531532175597_Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 11.34.59 am.png

• [GRRR too short a time to edit]
    I know this is not the best example, since the figure is so close to the hither cropped bathtub, but a room's walls being further away should be easier to hide within the framed scene using this technique.
    [And don't ask why there would be a bathtub in the middle of a pool, or why the figure would be kneeling through the bottom of said tub ;-)]

• @BobM I wouldn't normally use the size of compressed files in the filesystem to judge whether something is lightweight, since it all has to be uncompressed in memory at some point (even if on-the-fly memory compression schemes are in use). High resolution textures can be memory killers too, if you have lots of them, even if they compress very tidily on mass storage.

• @anomalaus No, I'm talking about something (a wall) in FRONT of the camera.

I have several TruForm pieces. When they load, the entire scene is enclosed in a box. Now, yeah, sometimes I can move the camera inside the box and get the scene I want, but many times, I just need to hide the wall that is blocking the camera. But, if I set the wall to invisible, ALL the walls go with it because they aren't separate.

• @Glitterati3D I understood that, but what is not immediately obvious (since I only posted one image) is that the bathtub is completely in front of the camera. All I have done is increase the camera's hither parameter until it clipped part of the tub (as though it were behind the camera).
    0_1531533869364_Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 12.04.06 pm.png
    This is the same scene with a smaller value of the camera's hither parameter. A wall in front of the camera would behave in exactly the same way, disappearing from both preview and render if it is less than the hither distance from the camera.

• @Glitterati3D now, I certainly concede that anyone will have trouble posing (placing the camera where you want it), if there are walls in the way. It's not always easy to work with hither, as it doesn't give any clue as to what is truly behind the camera and what has been clipped by hither settings, unless you fiddle with it. One gets so used to seeing everything. But there are other options, like setting the walls of the scene to wireframe mode (I assume that if you can only hide walls en-masse, then changing their display mode would also be a single change). The walls will still render correctly, despite previewing in wireframe, and then you can adjust the camera's hither until they disappear.

I won't say it's perfect. Film and TV producers certainly don't always limit themselves to camerawork bound by physical walls, if it doesn't suit them (TV studios or SitCom sets, for example). I even resort to parenting cameras to figures' eyeballs with short focal lengths to get a sense of what one would see if physically present in the 3D scene. But storytelling is never restricted to "just what you can do with a phone camera and a selfie stick". It can be nice to just vanish walls that are in the way. :-)

• @anomalaus said in TIP: If your optical mouse is behaving erratically:

@BobM I wouldn't normally use the size of compressed files in the filesystem to judge whether something is lightweight, since it all has to be uncompressed in memory at some point (even if on-the-fly memory compression schemes are in use). High resolution textures can be memory killers too, if you have lots of them, even if they compress very tidily on mass storage.

Well, yes, that does make sense. Only thing I can say that since I've begun doing this (compress and PMD) scenes feel less bulky and respond better when moving the camera around.

• @Glitterati3D said in TIP: If your optical mouse is behaving erratically:

@anomalaus No, I'm talking about something (a wall) in FRONT of the camera.

I have several TruForm pieces. When they load, the entire scene is enclosed in a box. Now, yeah, sometimes I can move the camera inside the box and get the scene I want, but many times, I just need to hide the wall that is blocking the camera. But, if I set the wall to invisible, ALL the walls go with it because they aren't separate.

Then please tell which TF item you're refering to.
    You say the entire scene is enclosed in a box, so probably you're referring to one of his rooms. I've grabbed his modern bedroom as shown in the pics below and all items are parented props you can hide/display individually. This my experience with all his rooms and I have about 12 of them.

So I'm really curious which one you're talking about!

0_1531551056769_modernbedroom.jpg

Modern Bedroom As Is Out of the Box and with Front and Back walls hidden

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.