TIP: If your optical mouse is behaving erratically

• @Glitterati3D now, I certainly concede that anyone will have trouble posing (placing the camera where you want it), if there are walls in the way. It's not always easy to work with hither, as it doesn't give any clue as to what is truly behind the camera and what has been clipped by hither settings, unless you fiddle with it. One gets so used to seeing everything. But there are other options, like setting the walls of the scene to wireframe mode (I assume that if you can only hide walls en-masse, then changing their display mode would also be a single change). The walls will still render correctly, despite previewing in wireframe, and then you can adjust the camera's hither until they disappear.

I won't say it's perfect. Film and TV producers certainly don't always limit themselves to camerawork bound by physical walls, if it doesn't suit them (TV studios or SitCom sets, for example). I even resort to parenting cameras to figures' eyeballs with short focal lengths to get a sense of what one would see if physically present in the 3D scene. But storytelling is never restricted to "just what you can do with a phone camera and a selfie stick". It can be nice to just vanish walls that are in the way. :-)

• @anomalaus said in TIP: If your optical mouse is behaving erratically:

@BobM I wouldn't normally use the size of compressed files in the filesystem to judge whether something is lightweight, since it all has to be uncompressed in memory at some point (even if on-the-fly memory compression schemes are in use). High resolution textures can be memory killers too, if you have lots of them, even if they compress very tidily on mass storage.

Well, yes, that does make sense. Only thing I can say that since I've begun doing this (compress and PMD) scenes feel less bulky and respond better when moving the camera around.

• @Glitterati3D said in TIP: If your optical mouse is behaving erratically:

@anomalaus No, I'm talking about something (a wall) in FRONT of the camera.

I have several TruForm pieces. When they load, the entire scene is enclosed in a box. Now, yeah, sometimes I can move the camera inside the box and get the scene I want, but many times, I just need to hide the wall that is blocking the camera. But, if I set the wall to invisible, ALL the walls go with it because they aren't separate.

Then please tell which TF item you're refering to.
    You say the entire scene is enclosed in a box, so probably you're referring to one of his rooms. I've grabbed his modern bedroom as shown in the pics below and all items are parented props you can hide/display individually. This my experience with all his rooms and I have about 12 of them.

So I'm really curious which one you're talking about!

0_1531551056769_modernbedroom.jpg

Modern Bedroom As Is Out of the Box and with Front and Back walls hidden

• @BobM said in TIP: If your optical mouse is behaving erratically:

@trekkiegrrrl Huh, OK, that one I don't have. But I do have his stuff like Modern Home, Luxury Home, DeLuxe House, Driveway Motel. No problems whatsoever. Although it has to work for Drive Motel. Even his lingerie store (only one I bought NOT on sale, and it was half price within a week on rendo (arrghh)).

You develop your own content so I assume you don't have a regular specced compu. Very strange.

Oh my computer is very regular specced. And old. Not sure how old but I think it's nearing its 5 year birthday.

Also I only have 8GB RAM. And an AMD graphics card. So yeah, renders take forever. I usually render overnight. That way my patience is somewhat reined in. Start the render, go to bed. Wake up ... and do it all over again because it looked wrong ;) - but then it'll render while I'm at work so I won't have to look at it ;)

So yeah, a render might take a few days.

Content creation .. well Hexagon IS lightweight, and works fine for my purpose.

I did get this apartment on sale, and it is probably old, I think it was their VGS sale with older products. And possibly his newer things are better divided into chunks. This one is not :(

• @trekkiegrrrl ewww, that sounds really frustrating!!

@trekkiegrrrl ewww, that sounds really frustrating!!

Mmm yeah well. It's a question of "getting used to it".

I do hope for a new computer, sorta "soon" - thing is .. I really HATE reinstalling stuff ... and I doubt I can just plonk my currend HD's into the new one ... so that is holding me back (Lost quite a lot of installers over the years for programs I really NEED ...)

• @trekkiegrrrl Poser you can just plonk somewhere else. The other stuff? Maybe going too far, but you could save the whole C-drive as an image (like what you do when you make a backup), and then convert that image into a VMWare virtual machine. I think you can even directly convert your C-drive to a VMWare virtual machine. And then just run that virtual machine as a PC inside your new PC with VMWare player (all using free stuff from VMWare: P2V convertor and VMWare Player). MyBox offers similar functionality (Oracle I think), and is completely free. Just stay away from microsoft junk.

You can drag and drop stuff between your new PC and the "old" one. That way you keep all your old stuff working with your familiar desktop, and step by step maybe migrate the important/often used programs to your new PC, or just leave them there.

I use VM's all the time for various customer developments and it's brilliant. Go for at least 32 GB (or 64GB for Poser) and SSD for your OS and swapfile. Those are more important than having the fastest processor.

My puty is also around 5 years old, but with 32GB and SSD. Later I built in a second SSD to run my VM's off and store the Win swapfile. Also AMD graphics, very middle of the road, the fastest you could get with passive cooling. I did put a big silent cooler on top of the processor (i7-4770K) and you don't hear a thing. And that without any of the exotic things other people do to have a silent PC.

I also put in 2 hybrid disks, a good compromise in price/performance. These disks are 'normal' disks, so relatively cheap and big, but have a little piece of 'SSD' built in. Nowhere as fast as an SSD disk, but muchas more than a regular disk.
    That's where my Poser runtime with all my junk resides. The 'program' runtime is on SSD. Responds very snappy.

This config serves me on a daily basis and unless something critical like the MB breaks down it'll serve me for at least another 5 years. It's still quick and zippy.

See if you could find somebody to build one to your specs. It's not really more expensive - maybe a little - than a ready-made one, and you get to choose the best price-performance items plus you can search for the best deals on those items.

AND you can dump in as much memory as you can afford.

Just don't expect you can do this with a laptop, those are best pre-built, and to have a powerful desktop replacement will cost serious money (>€2500)

@trekkiegrrrl Poser you can just plonk somewhere else. The other stuff? Maybe going too far, but you could save the whole C-drive as an image (like what you do when you make a backup), and then convert that image into a VMWare virtual machine. I think you can even directly convert your C-drive to a VMWare virtual machine. And then just run that virtual machine as a PC inside your new PC with VMWare player (all using free stuff from VMWare: P2V convertor and VMWare Player). MyBox offers similar functionality (Oracle I think), and is completely free. Just stay away from microsoft junk.

You can drag and drop stuff between your new PC and the "old" one. That way you keep all your old stuff working with your familiar desktop, and step by step maybe migrate the important/often used programs to your new PC, or just leave them there.

I use VM's all the time for various customer developments and it's brilliant. Go for at least 32 GB (or 64GB for Poser) and SSD for your OS and swapfile. Those are more important than having the fastest processor.

My puty is also around 5 years old, but with 32GB and SSD. Later I built in a second SSD to run my VM's off and store the Win swapfile. Also AMD graphics, very middle of the road, the fastest you could get with passive cooling. I did put a big silent cooler on top of the processor (i7-4770K) and you don't hear a thing. And that without any of the exotic things other people do to have a silent PC.

I also put in 2 hybrid disks, a good compromise in price/performance. These disks are 'normal' disks, so relatively cheap and big, but have a little piece of 'SSD' built in. Nowhere as fast as an SSD disk, but muchas more than a regular disk.
    That's where my Poser runtime with all my junk resides. The 'program' runtime is on SSD. Responds very snappy.

This config serves me on a daily basis and unless something critical like the MB breaks down it'll serve me for at least another 5 years. It's still quick and zippy.

See if you could find somebody to build one to your specs. It's not really more expensive - maybe a little - than a ready-made one, and you get to choose the best price-performance items plus you can search for the best deals on those items.

Just don't expect you can do this with a laptop, those are best pre-built, and to have a powerful desktop replacement will cost serious money (>€2500)

Ooh that sounds good. Mind a quick trip to Denmark to show me how? ;)

I wouldn't touch a laptop with a bargepole. Those are annoying. Too small and too fragile. (even the high end ones, and they're too costly and fiddly to replace bits inside. I'm going for a proper computer. Probably midi tower. Easier to cool. :)

I've been looking at this one. Thing is .. all those various components comes in so many flavours (brands) and I have NO idea of which is best ...
    0_1531702378561_33ce9fd3-a602-4d4e-9bc9-8f81db3086cd-image.png 0_1531702245355_153de46e-5a9d-4c3f-a4a4-a5aa72a41ca5-image.png

• @trekkiegrrrl

@trekkiegrrrl said in TIP: If your optical mouse is behaving erratically:

@BobM said in TIP: If your optical mouse is behaving erratically:

@trekkiegrrrl Poser you can just plonk somewhere else. The other stuff? Maybe going too far, but you could save the whole C-drive as an image (like what you do when you make a backup), and then convert that image into a VMWare virtual machine. I think you can even directly convert your C-drive to a VMWare virtual machine. And then just run that virtual machine as a PC inside your new PC with VMWare player (all using free stuff from VMWare: P2V convertor and VMWare Player). MyBox offers similar functionality (Oracle I think), and is completely free. Just stay away from microsoft junk.

Ooh that sounds good. Mind a quick trip to Denmark to show me how? ;)

I wouldn't touch a laptop with a bargepole. Those are annoying. Too small and too fragile. (even the high end ones, and they're too costly and fiddly to replace bits inside. I'm going for a proper computer. Probably midi tower. Easier to cool. :)

I've been looking at this one. Thing is .. all those various components comes in so many flavours (brands) and I have NO idea of which is best ...
    0_1531702378561_33ce9fd3-a602-4d4e-9bc9-8f81db3086cd-image.png 0_1531702245355_153de46e-5a9d-4c3f-a4a4-a5aa72a41ca5-image.png

The TOP picture. Forgot the cooler so just disregard the lower pic ...

STUPIDSILLY LIMIT FOR EDITING ...

• @trekkiegrrrl At the moment I have an intern, and he just built his puter. If you want, we could look at the best price/specs available at the moment. We're both a little bit tech nerds, so it wouldn't be a big hassle for us.

But at a quick glance, not too bad.
    Quick questions:
    (1) AMD Rizen an option? AMD is totally back and at the moment has superior price performance. MB's for AMD tend to be cheaper too.
    (2) Why are you wasting precious space on a DVD burner. You still use those ??! As alternative, you can pick up a USB burner for around Eur30 at MediaMarket. I'm sure they're in Denmark as well.
    (3) Any chance you could go for 32 GB?
    (4) No two screens? I have a 4 screen setup for at least the last 10 years, and still I'm sometimes one screen short.
    (5) Do you game? If yes, the graphics card is important. If not, you could use onboard VGA and/or take a lower-tech (passive) VGA (that's what I did). With the money you save, you could grab an extra screen...

If you PM me your budget range, we could look into it next week.

@trekkiegrrrl At the moment I have an intern, and he just built his puter. If you want, we could look at the best price/specs available at the moment. We're both a little bit tech nerds, so it wouldn't be a big hassle for us.

But at a quick glance, not too bad.
    Quick questions:
    (1) AMD Rizen an option? AMD is totally back and at the moment has superior price performance. MB's for AMD tend to be cheaper too.
    (2) Why are you wasting precious space on a DVD burner. You still use those ??! As alternative, you can pick up a USB burner for around Eur30 at MediaMarket. I'm sure they're in Denmark as well.
    (3) Any chance you could go for 32 GB?
    (4) No two screens? I have a 4 screen setup for at least the last 10 years, and still I'm sometimes one screen short.
    (5) Do you game? If yes, the graphics card is important. If not, you could use onboard VGA and/or take a lower-tech (passive) VGA (that's what I did). With the money you save, you could grab an extra screen...

If you PM me your budget range, we could look into it next week.

This time, I want a graphics card that can do GPU rendering. Isn't that preferable? People keep telling me.

I don't game - at the moment. I like to have the option, should some new game take my fancy ;)

I'd love to have 2 monitors, but there's no room at my desk. (sounds silly, but .. there you are...) Still, it MAY be an option. Doesn't this card support dual screens?

If you have the time, here's a link to the actual site where you can mix and match the components: (even if it's i Danish, I guess it's pretty straightforward which is which. The budget is "anything below 10.000 DKK" - and the price pops up at the bottom when you select other things)

http://www.pc-lager.dk/computer-konfig.php?Bundkort=992100679&CPU=991951932&K�ler=989867393&RAM=990157188&RAM_Antal_1=2&Harddisk=991548634&Harddisk_Antal_1=1&SSD=ingen&SSD_Antal_1=1&Grafikkort=992642091&Grafikkort_Antal_1=1&DVD=989857102&Kabinet=570853&PSU=989558617&Lydkort=1981178&Netkort=1981179&Operativsystem=ingen&Kontorpakke=ingen&Antivirus=ingen&Monitor=ingen&Monitor_Antal_1=1&Tastatur=ingen&Mus=ingen&H�jttalere=ingen&Tilbeh�r=ingen&Tilbeh�r2=ingen&Tilbeh�r3=ingen&samling=99000&gopar=0&add=1&konfig_id=22&gruppe_id=68&kunde_konf=&inCart=&antal=1
    The reason for the DVD burner .. yea I do use those occasionally, AND I use my computer to watch DVD movies on as well. Externals are in the way :) )

• @trekkiegrrrl Ha! Jah, GPU rendering. Hadn't thought of that. Definitely a plus when using programs like Poser!

• @trekkiegrrrl: Doesn't this card support dual screens?
    Most Motherboard AND graphic cards support at least 2 screens

• Poser Ambassadors

The GTX 1060 in question has 3 monitor ports

• @trekkiegrrrl Hi sorry to keep you waiting, but my intern just lost his Dad when we were mailing. We'll look into it this week.

• @trekkiegrrrl
    so, a little research on 3d rendering:
    CPU - more cores the better
    Mem - 16 GB and higher is good enough
    GPU - Cuda interfaces the best at the moment, so NVidia

Conclusion:
    If we want an energywise processor, 65W TDP is the way to go at the moment.

That leaves us - looking at midrange cpu's with your Intel i7-7700, AMD Ryzen 1700 and 2700.
    The AMD 2700 is almost 100 Eur/745 DDK more expensive than the 1700 with just a modest boost. The AMD X's use much more that 65W so this leaves us with AMD 1700 and intel7700.

The Ryzen1700 and i7700 have more or less the same AVERAGE performance, 83.5% vs 83,3% Average Benchmark.
    But the Ryzen1700 has double the cores of Intel, and that's VERY GOOD for rendering.
    AND the Ryzen comes at €80/600DKK cheaper.
    A pity the website you've sent me charges €40/300DKK more for the Ryzen. Strange, because it hardly overcharges for the i7700 compared to the pricewatch below. Still, the AMD is 440DKK cheaper and has double the cores that will boost rendering.

Switching to AMD basically means you'll need to select another motherboard and cooler.
    The rest of the components look good. 16GB is good enough (32GB better), and your GTX has Cuda and has a nice 6GB onboard.
    Only thing I'd look at is the DVD. If you also write DVD's, see if you could find one that also writes Blu-Ray, like the Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer for $58.99 I found on pcpartpicker.com. I bet it's hardly more expensive than a regular writer. Just so you know.

Quick Break
    My cats are protesting, and I need to get some din-din for myself.

You can also check this site out: https://www.cgdirector.com/best-cpu-for-rendering/
    You won't find the i7700 but you will find the Ryzen 1700.

More Info/How I got to this conclusion
    In NL we have a site called Tweakers.net which does a very good and independant pricewatch. They managed to get almost all companies selling in NL to participate, so you really get a good feeling of a reasonable price.

You'll get the Intel Core i7-7700 Tray for around €290/320 (2160/2385 DKK) delivered to your home.
    1151 socket • Quad core @ 3,6GHz-4,2GHz, Intel HD 630, 65W TDP (I like the 65 W TDP). The prices displayed have a little range, because it's not always smart to buy at the cheapest vendor.

I had selected a Ryzen 1700 which also has a TDP of 65W. 8 Cores, 16 Threads@3.0GHz Zen (2017).
    The Ryzen doesn't come with a graphics subchip, but as you'll be having an external GPU, it doesn't matter.

Feedback of my intern on the CPU was: Ryzen 2700x, 2700, 1700x, 1700. Any of those 4 instead of the 7700, so I looked at those.

Rankings
    The 1700 has an average benchmark of 83.5%/Speedrank 36 of 1117, the 2700 87.6%/Speedrank 36 of 1117, 1700 x AVB 88.6%/Speedrank 34 of 1117, 2700x AVB 98.6%/Speedrank 17 of 1117
    The 7700: Average Bench: 83.3% (50th of 1117)
    All AMD's have double the cores which will help renderprocesses.

I myself use an Intel Core i7-4770K, the sweet spot 5 years ago, with 4 Cores, 8 Threads @3.5GHz Haswell (2013), with an AVB of 76%, 77 of 117 and TDP of 84W

Pricing:
    You'll get the 1700 for €212/230 (1580/1713 DKK) delivered.
    The 1700x goes for about the same prices, but has a TDP of 95W with a better clockspeed. The 2700x has a TDP of 105W and is about 100 Eur/745 DDK more expensive

The 1700 and 1700x are superseded by the 2700 series.
    The 2700 has 8 Cores, 16 Threads@3.2GHz Zen+ (2018), also has a TDP of 65W and goes for Eur289/320 (2153/2384)

Note: a Tray version comes without Cooler, and a boxed version WITH a cooler. Just take the model which is cheapest and throw away the cooler if it's a box. They do the job, but mostly are noisy)

Sources used:
    https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/734665/amd-ryzen-7-1700-boxed-wraith-spire-koeler.html
    http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-1700/3887vs3917
    https://www.cgdirector.com/best-cpu-for-rendering/
    http://www.logicalincrements.com/articles/building-pc-3d-rendering-animation/
    https://pcpartpicker.com/b/DwHhP6